Derby County v Blackburn Rovers

Mafiabob

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG probably had his best game in a Derby shirt, but one issue I have with him is his passing. His long balls are impeccable, probably the best at the football club, but sometimes I think he overthinks his short passing and sometimes makes the wrong pass or an ineffective one

He does have a slight tendency to telegraph his passes though. Especially longer ones. Not hit with enough pace, so the defence have closed the receiver before they get the ball.

I thought everyone played well. Dawkins and Hendrick were a little lost first half but I think that is a lack of confidence. Certainly on Dawkins part. Second half they were both much better. 

Shotton was excellent at right back. WTF have we not utilised that throw in before?! Given how poor our corners are, we are better off with throw ins. 

Buxton was excellent. A couple of superb cross field balls too. I thought Keogh played well and didn't look lost and off the pace as he has recently. 

Omar was excellent. Hughes was excellent. Hell of a save by Grant second half. Bennett is a real asset in the last ten minutes against tired defenders. 

For me the best part was seeing just how well Bent and Martin can work together, without totally throwing the system out the window. 

Clean sheet and a two nil win against a team that are no mugs. 

Result. 

I thought everyone played well. Dawkins and Hendrick were a little lost first half but I think that is a lack of confidence. Certainly on Dawkins part. Second half they were both much better. 

Shotton was excellent at right back. WTF have we not utilised that throw in before?! Given how poor our corners are, we are better off with throw ins. 

Buxton was excellent. A couple of superb cross field balls too. I thought Keogh played well and didn't look lost and off the pace as he has recently. 

Omar was excellent. Hughes was excellent. Hell of a save by Grant second half. Bennett is a real asset in the last ten minutes against tired defenders. 

For me the best part was seeing just how well Bent and Martin can work together, without totally throwing the system out the window. 

Clean sheet and a two nil win against a team that are no mugs. 

Result.

Wow. troy. Whats happened?

Wow. troy. Whats happened?

I give credit when it's due mate! 

If Keogh plays well I always say so! Like after Ipswich. Think he was excellent in that game. I just feel that when he is performing poorly, and making crucial mistakes, he should be dropped in the same way every other player is. For the good of the player as much as the team. Take Christie for instance. Think being taken out of the firing line will be good for him. 

Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of doing the same with Dawkins. The abuse that lad gets is insane. 

OMG probably had his best game in a Derby shirt, but one issue I have with him is his passing. His long balls are impeccable, probably the best at the football club, but sometimes I think he overthinks his short passing and sometimes makes the wrong pass or an ineffective one

I've seen that said a lot, but I would say his performance v Blackburn was as good as the one against Watford.

Just shy of his performances vs Blackpool and Wolves.

Had 3 ticket buyers last night in front of me and one to my right. The 3 in front turned up drunk and singing our songs but taking the piss singing it out of tune and singing it like a joke then laughing at everyone around us. The other stood next to me didn't sing once just stood there. He didn't even celebrate when we scored..

WTF is this I thought it was the singing stand not the people come in and make u feel daft when you do sing! Other then that the crowd played there part tonight.

Onto the game I thought Ward did ok sitting in the south stand he put some decent balls in but like usual no one there. I'm glad he's back he actually scares defenders (Like Ibe).

Hughes MOTM for me but wish we wasn't singing a random song when Omar did that tackle it was right in front of me just as he was going to shoot.. I was going mental saying what a tackle and Grant defo made him aware what a tackle it was!! Would of been great to make him know how good it was. Game saving tackle. Ofc Grants save also was looked like it was just going to creep top corner thank god it went just wide.

I have to say, I thought Blackburn were the worst team I've seen at the iPro this season. They only ever had the ball when we gave it back to them. Hoof it long, and pick up the scraps. Which nearly worked once, but most of them ended up on the heads of Buxton/Keogh, all credit to them. Only when Gestede came on, and after we'd scored did they look like doing anything.

Bowyer: "Derby are a terrific team with a great manager and a brilliant set-up. But we matched them for most of the game and then gave it away with bad defending."

Seriously? Much like the away game, Hughes had all the time in the world to operate in that midfield. A magnificent performance from him. A shame that one he lashed at goal didn't find its way in - would have been the only thing to improve his display.

And Lambert? Cheers for Darren Bent. Natural finisher. Him and Martin upfront is a dream.

Diamonds for the next game please. I would love the team that finished the game last night, to be the starting line up vs. Cardiff.

Dawkins didn't look confident, everytime he had the ball his back was to goal, retained possession but little more. Ward looking better, but still didn't cut it for me. I've a horrible feeling in the back of my mind that we won't see anything like how he started the season from him again in a Derby shirt. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Derby B at the end of the season.

Grant with those excellent, game winning saves. Our most consistent player.

TroyDyer Posted Today, 9:04 AM

I appreciate you finally giving Keogh a little bit of praise, albeit, I think it comes across a little forced. Not got a problem with different views, but I thought Keogh was superb last night, didn't miss a block or tackle, made up ground when others were not in position or misplaced a pass and generally put in a solid performance. Buxton... not saying he was rubbish, just think he was the least good of the back 4. Struggled in the air at times (I will forgive that though considering the height difference to Gestede and Brown), went walkabout in the first half and clattered Keogh, tried too many 'Hollywood' passes when one comes off and was fortunate I thought to not give away a penalty for the challenge on Hanley. Like I said, I didn't think he played badly, and I don't have a problem with differing opinions, it's just that yours is now coming across as a massive 'love-in' for Buxton saying he was excellent and worth a special mention, and a begrudging pat on the back for Keogh. Just based on your choice of words... that's all.

TroyDyer Posted Today, 9:04 AM

I appreciate you finally giving Keogh a little bit of praise, albeit, I think it comes across a little forced. Not got a problem with different views, but I thought Keogh was superb last night, didn't miss a block or tackle, made up ground when others were not in position or misplaced a pass and generally put in a solid performance. Buxton... not saying he was rubbish, just think he was the least good of the back 4. Struggled in the air at times (I will forgive that though considering the height difference to Gestede and Brown), went walkabout in the first half and clattered Keogh, tried too many 'Hollywood' passes when one comes off and was fortunate I thought to not give away a penalty for the challenge on Hanley. Like I said, I didn't think he played badly, and I don't have a problem with differing opinions, it's just that yours is now coming across as a massive 'love-in' for Buxton saying he was excellent and worth a special mention, and a begrudging pat on the back for Keogh. Just based on your choice of words... that's all.

Yes, and add to that, Keogh was not exposed for pace. He's quite a quick fella. He appears to keep up, even get goalside of forwards who are getting past him. Not so with Bucko. He has to have position otherwise he's toast. OMG and Keogh seem to be making a bucket load of last ditch slide tackles at the minute. 

It was a very good win, we was made to work hard and Blackburn set up to make it difficult for us. Credit to them, really. 

Grant - 8 - he was very good when called upon and we needed him to make a couple of good saves. 

Shotton - 7 - very good performance. I think Christie is the better player, but as said, he hasn't been up to it recently. Shotton was a lot more accomplished than I previously gave him credit for. Strong in the air, in the tackle and so on. 

Keogh - 9 - I think you only have to look at the stats, it was a great performance. He made 12 clearances and blocked 4 shots. He was clever in defence and helped his teammates out. One of his best this season.

Buxton - 7 - He was very solid in defence, battled well and played some great balls around the pitch. He made some hiccups, but all in all a good performance.

Forsyth - 7 - I thought his final product wasn't what should have been but defensively, again, he was unflappable. I have no doubts that he is the best defensive full-back in the division, he just doesn't seem to get beaten.

Mascarell - 8 - a few hiccups but he has made 80 touches - 20 more than anyone else on the pitch - and controlled the game.  He did everything anyone would want in a defensive midfielder tonight. Once again, proving that despite he has his bad games more often than not he's reliable, solid and a good option.

Hughes - 9 MOTM - extremely classy performance tonight, he bossed the midfield and will be disappointed to not get an assists or goal for his efforts. Nevertheless, he was on another level tonight.

Hendrick - 5 - I wasn't too ecstatic about his performance, I thought he should have perhaps put himself out a bit more. He seems to be a passenger for large periods. 

Ward - 6 - He put himself about and gave us an outlet. He just had a bad final ball and in the end it was a forgettable performance.

Dawkins - 5 - he was tidy but never really put his mark on the game. Although I did think he started the second half strongly, he seemed to lose confidence really quickly and went back into his usual routine. I do think he is a centre midfielder being played out wide, though. 

Martin - 7 - I thought his link up play was first rate and was unfortunate not to score. It just didn't fall right for him.

Bent - 8 - He surprised me. Not because he scored twice but because he showed great ability with his back to goal. It doesn't take a genuis to work out why a club once played over

Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of doing the same with Dawkins. The abuse that lad gets is insane. 

Got to agree with you on this. Why do people need to have a scapegoat... even when we win? Walking out of the stadium I overheard some suggestions that Bennett should start ahead of Dawkins on Saturday. Based on 5 minutes! Not taking into account Dawkins has some 'off-the-field' issue that has prevented him from training and him being technically one of the best players in the squad.

I didn't think he did anything bad. His touch last night at times to kill a ball was excellent. I thought he looked quite lively second half prior to his substitution.

Archived