Would you sign someone..

Walsall_Ram

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just to stir it up a little.

I mean, if we signed a 'box-to-box' midfielder, one that would slot in nicely ahead of Bryson/Jeff it would definitely stir them up a little.

Both have been far to complacent this season.

and yeah, I'm firing shot.

The 'i' on you keyboard is occasionally producing an 'o'.

Big believer that you sign to improve your weak links NOT just getting a better player where you're already strong...

That said... I actually think something we miss currently is a playmaker in the centre when Hughes isn't playing... Hendrick and Bryson can sometimes look a bit short of ideas...

Far too busy running around to formulate ideas.

Omar could play the Hughes role comfortably if we had a solid CDM.

I agree to an extent but think he's a more deep-lying midfield playmaker (Xavi Alonso style?) whereas for me Hughes plays by far his best football in and around the edge of the box...

I have been so struck by our interminable hand-wringing over our midfield that I looked back at our line up for last season against Yeovil, where I thought we played some really good stuff including a 20-odd pass goal.

Our midfield that day was Bryson, Hendrick and Hughes - although I didn't think we played 4-3-3 under Cloughie. That trio ha since been widely sausaged as being too lightweight and generally unbalanced.

Our debates no seem to be heading towards a conclusion that our midfield 3 needs a stopper, a passer and a runner. 2 runners and a stopper/passer didn't work against Forest. No stoppers didn't work last year against the likes of Leicester.

If that's where we are, then why on earth would we invest in a 3rd runner, if we are short of passers (only Hughes?) and temporarily short of stoppers?

I have been so struck by our interminable hand-wringing over our midfield that I looked back at our line up for last season against Yeovil, where I thought we played some really good stuff including a 20-odd pass goal.

Our midfield that day was Bryson, Hendrick and Hughes - although I didn't think we played 4-3-3 under Cloughie. That trio ha since been widely sausaged as being too lightweight and generally unbalanced.

Our debates no seem to be heading towards a conclusion that our midfield 3 needs a stopper, a passer and a runner. 2 runners and a stopper/passer didn't work against Forest. No stoppers didn't work last year against the likes of Leicester.

If that's where we are, then why on earth would we invest in a 3rd runner, if we are short of passers (only Hughes?) and temporarily short of stoppers?

About bang on

Stopper: thorne, eustace

Runner: bryson, Hendrick

Passer/creator: hughes, mascarell & to a degree, thorne

Both 'stoppers' are currently injured, so if anything we'd need to sign a physical DM in short term loan

About bang on

Stopper: thorne, eustace

Runner: bryson, Hendrick

Passer/creator: hughes, mascarell & to a degree, thorne

Both 'stoppers' are currently injured, so if anything we'd need to sign a physical DM in short term loan

I'd actually say that Thorne is a stopper who can pass well... He's the next step up of player... Just like Hughes is a passer who can create and has a decent engine...

The other slight wrinkle is that the way we play would struggle to accommodate a stopper AND mascarell as he plays much too deep to be the kind of passer we need... we need an edge of the box passer...

For me we now have a VERY clear best 3... Thorne, Hughes and Bryson should be our first choice midfield...

Archived