Turning point of the season

RobboRam

Last year on March 1st we played burnley. Lost 2-0. They went 5 points clear of us and never looked back.

Martin was sent off for diving and a 'goal' was disallowed. For me, this was the turning point of last season.

Today, we didn't concede a penalty (for a handball I still can't see!) and won the game 1-0.

If Ipswich had won today they would be 5 points clear.

We are now 2nd , only by goal difference. Our squad is better (imo).

My point is that today is a massive turning point. Last year we didn't turn the corner. Today, we did.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See your point but slightly different. Being 5 points behind in January would be a blow but it isn't season defining or season ending.

If we fast forward to March 5th, we will have played 10 extra games. Being 5 points behind with 11 games to go is a lot different to being 5 points behind with 21 games to go.

Nevertheless a very important win and I'm extremely happy about today!

I agree about march being nearer the end of the season etc. However I don't think we ever got to 2nd place last season except for a short period. So we are now better placed. Also, more importantly we lost EVERY game v leicester and burnley last season. 0 out of 12 points That makes a difference.

Lol. My point is we weren't 2nd by January or By march at any point last season so this season is better already based on position.

We were actually second after 23 games on goal difference. Only lasted a game though after we lost to Wigan on NYD.

Lol. My point is we weren't 2nd by January or By march at any point last season so this season is better already based on position.

It's better in terms of position and points and also comparable results game for game. We betat Ipswich away this year but lost away last year etc.

I wouldn't call yesterday's win luck. We had a game plan and we stuck to it. We won the midfield battle therefore controlled the game. After the first 15 we always looked comfortable.

We didn't create many chances I admit but we scored our only clear cut chance which again is testament to our performance.

It wasn't a quality performance by our standards, but we did what we needed to do, pretty much all of our players put in a shift and as far as away performances go in relation to the context of the game, I thought we were fantastic.

I wouldn't call yesterday's win luck. We had a game plan and we stuck to it. We won the midfield battle therefore controlled the game. After the first 15 we always looked comfortable.

We didn't create many chances I admit but we scored our only clear cut chance which again is testament to our performance.

It wasn't a quality performance by our standards, but we did what we needed to do, pretty much all of our players put in a shift and as far as away performances go in relation to the context of the game, I thought we were fantastic.

Spot on.

How many times have fans berated our performances where we've been unable to grind out a win?

Yesterday, against a side that is probably the hardest team to beat in the league, we did exactly what we had to do to come away with all 3 points; it wasn't pretty but it was effective. Sometimes those performances are necessary if you want to come out of a game with all 3 points, we can't play lovely passing football all the time.

I was reminded of our previous promotion season.

We were away to Southampton, who had a fantastic home record.

We won 1-0

I was sat in our bolt hole in North Devon, elated.

Saturday, we were away to Ipswich, who had a fantastic home record

We won 1-0

Coincidence or what?

Spot on.

How many times have fans berated our performances where we've been unable to grind out a win?

Yesterday, against a side that is probably the hardest team to beat in the league, we did exactly what we had to do to come away with all 3 points; it wasn't pretty but it was effective. Sometimes those performances are necessary if you want to come out of a game with all 3 points, we can't play lovely passing football all the time.

Agreed. It's worth remembering they were on an 11 game unbeaten run. McClaren was right to call it a very mature performane.

I was reminded of our previous promotion season.

We were away to Southampton, who had a fantastic home record.

We won 1-0

Saturday, we were away to Ipswich, who had a fantastic home record

We won 1-0

Coincidence or what?

That was a great win. You could tell Bale was special in that game, that's why we injured him in playoffs. Jon Stead was good and I couldn't understand why we were not keeping him. However, we did have loads of new recruits coming in. Interesting stuff here from the Guardian match report.....

Top of the table and six points clear after six successive wins might seem like an ideal time to pause for reflection but Billy Davies feels that the problems he is juggling with right now will be key to how his team finish this season.

The Derby manager checked in seven more players last month at a cost of more than

Archived