Derby County v Notts Forest

Gritstone Ram

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All right for you,matey.When I leave my house and turn left,I walk by a red dog's house.If I turn

left,I pass another red dog's house.When I walk to the shop I get served by a red dog.Great :(

Stay away from the shop mate haha

For all the criticism the players get - and they deserve everything coming their way after such a spineless and pathetic second half performance - the management shouldn't escape on this one.

Forest switched their midfield formation at half time and although they began running rings round us, with Osborn dictating play, we did absolutely nothing to adapt or counteract that.

Bringing Bent on and putting him on the wing in a straight swap for Ward and just blindly carrying on with the same system even though it was failing was laughable.

I never thought I'd say this, but we got outdone tactically by Stuart Pearce.

For all the criticism the players get - and they deserve everything coming their way after such a spineless and pathetic second half performance - the management shouldn't escape on this one.

Forest switched their midfield formation at half time and although they began running rings round us, with Osborn dictating play, we did absolutely nothing to adapt or counteract that.

Bringing Bent on and putting him on the wing in a straight swap for Ward and just blindly carrying on with the same system even though it was failing was laughable.

SM is a very stubborn, rigid manager. He may be a brilliant coach but he doesn't respond adequately if at all when the opposition changes its formation and takes control of the game. Our players know they will have to go on playing a system which is now failing.  

They may well lose their composure in this situation. But they do NOT lose the plot. The opposition has changed it.

Then our management blames the players for the defeat...........

Yep I think this is true :(

Have to agree with regard to SM on this one......we didn't adapt and just sat and watched midfield be lost. Having said that, the players ultimately should have given more.

Interesting that we go from SM saying one week - after Ipswich - that we have grown up, matured and "learnt how to win" to being "immature and inexperienced " a week later. Not even any consistency in that, let alone the performances.

Well I dont know about tactics of Pearce but certainly it was obvious after half time that losing Hughes meant we were suddenly losing the midfield. Note sure what Mac could have done having already used his midfield sub, but given how badly things went in 2nd half surprised he didnt use at least one other sub much sooner.  It was  a disgusting 2nd half performance as bad a half as I have seen from the Rams in absolutely ages.

Football worthy of the second flight of English football? 

Not on your nelly! 

The difference in midfield in the second half was simply astonishing.  Hughes coming off took us from a competent, battling side, confident in possession, to THAT!  45 minutes of sheer disgrace.

International? Keogh is full of panic and what he thought he was doing telling the East Stand lower to f off after himself misplacing a past to CC on the wing and receiving some justified stick?  He cost us at Wembley and he will do so again, IF we can string three matches together without crumbling like today, and at Leeds, and at Borough... 

Saving my best for last, the Wally with the Brolly in the stand again while Psycho was up and down urging them on...

Keogh really swore at the Derby fans ?!

Have to agree with regard to SM on this one......we didn't adapt and just sat and watched midfield be lost. Having said that, the players ultimately should have given more.

Interesting that we go from SM saying one week - after Ipswich - that we have grown up, matured and "learnt how to win" to being "immature and inexperienced " a week later. Not even any consistency in that, let alone the performances.

Well going from Eustace in midfield to Omar in midfield is a big loss of experience. Ironically it was eustace who got sent off last week. Omar did well first half but did his familiar trick of giving ball away at key times in the 2nd. Part of the general malaise affecting our midfield today.Only Omar (1st Half), Keogh, Hughes and Russell came out with any credit today. 

While I agree in that changes should have been made, McClaren IMO clearly has a lot of faith in his players - Why wouldn't he we are third afterall? - but he made a mistake in this one.

He should have come down to the bench, or at least contacted the bench to tell them where the problem lied and it was in midfield.

Our midfield two (not Masc) should have been dropping deeper and supporting rather than running around like headlesss chickens. McClaren probably had faith in those two that they would soon start to figure out what they were doing wrong.

Clearly not though.

I wouldn't say McClaren is stubborn, he has shown to be flexible both in selection and changes. But it was as much his mistake not to try and rectify that midfield problem during the second half.

While I agree in that changes should have been made, McClaren IMO clearly has a lot of faith in his players - Why wouldn't he we are third afterall? - but he made a mistake in this one.

He should have come down to the bench, or at least contacted the bench to tell them where the problem lied and it was in midfield.

Our midfield two (not Masc) should have been dropping deeper and supporting rather than running around like headlesss chickens. McClaren probably had faith in those two that they would soon start to figure out what they were doing wrong.

Clearly not though.

I wouldn't say McClaren is stubborn, he has shown to be flexible both in selection and changes. But it was as much his mistake not to try and rectify that midfield problem during the second half.

Agree wholeheartedly with you BV and your earlier eloquent post.

I wrote a few words last week regarding the fundamental (crucial) role that i and others believe Eustace plays in the team, not just the very simple things that he does (sometimes 3rd central defender, the breaking up of opposition flow, the right placed simple short passes) but also his overall leadership and calm direction to those around him)....today's 2nd half disintegration re-emphasizes his importance & effect, though I recognise compounded by Hughes going off.

We are a materially weaker team without either of Eustace or Thorne in the side and we have at least 5 leagues games (4 weeks) before Thorne returns (optimistic) and 10 league games (8 weeks) for Eustace.

If SMc retains OMG, he has to support him with a player by his side.

My other observation from today was .... why oh why was Bent brought on on the right hand side of a 3? He is a number 9...surely his position will be in front of Martin (who would fall back play a number 10-type role {though not sure he is a good enough 10}) or in place of Martin.

Archived