Our youth academy

AmericanRam

When looking at our youth academy and U21's and U18's,I easily feel we have one of the better youth setups in the league.Mac,Rush,Wassall, and others have done a great job in getting and developing guys for the future of Derby.

Which players do you like the best in these squads? I really like the potential Jamie Hanson has, and Koblenz and Calero are very promising also.Who do you see off these squads being the biggest star for the Rams?

Any other teams who have a very good youth setup as we do in your opinion?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our under 18 team have been doing really well and according to the official Barclays Premier League website are 5th in the under 18 league.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/barclays-u18-premier-league-tables.html?paramYouthStage=NATIONAL

The under 18's also beat Manchester City recently who had not lost all season. 

The under 21 team are 6th in their league:

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/barclays-u21-premier-league-tables/

Hughes, Hendrick, Bennett and erm?

Haven't seen Hanson play so have no idea what he's like, has he been on Wiziwig?

For all the talk of how good it is I'd like to see a few more breaking through. Can't really count players like Calero when you sign them at 19.

southampton have the best youth academy in england with liverpool and chelsea not far behind

Won't argue with Soton but will with Chelsea. They get the best talent and buy in products from around the world but to what end? Just to be spooned out on loan. Chances of a first team spot? Minimal if not zero.

Is that a good youth academy? Home grown talent? Yes, plenty in the younger age groups but not when it matters.

Do Chelsea need an academy? They like to think so but in reality they don't. Need a left back, go buy an established international.

chelsea!?! they've produced no one at all, how can you say that they are in the top 3 in the country?

Won't argue with Soton but will with Chelsea. They get the best talent and buy in products from around the world but to what end? Just to be spooned out on loan. Chances of a first team spot? Minimal if not zero.

Is that a good youth academy? Home grown talent? Yes, plenty in the younger age groups but not when it matters.

Do Chelsea need an academy? They like to think so but in reality they don't. Need a left back, go buy an established international.

You two need to get a life and play football manager more, then you will be in the know

Hughes, Hendrick, Bennett.....erm Ball?

Haven't seen Hanson play so have no idea what he's like, has he been on Wiziwig?

For all the talk of how good it is I'd like to see a few more breaking through. Can't really count players like Calero when you sign them at 19.

The problem is when you sign players like Ibe Wisdom Thorne Dawkins Bamford Whitbread on loan. It stifles the opportunities for young players but then again no one can argue those players who have come in to take up squad positions have done very well.

Also if the team is doing very well like they have been since McClaren has come in there is less of a need to bring in youth as you can't justify dropping anyone of the current starting XI for a youth team player.

The problem is when you sign players like Ibe Wisdom Thorne Dawkins Bamford Whitbread on loan. It stifles the opportunities for young players but then again no one can argue those players who have come in to take up squad positions have done very well.

Also if the team is doing very well like they have been since McClaren has come in there is less of a need to bring in youth as you can't justify dropping anyone of the current starting XI for a youth team player.

I think if you have a player that is shining in the youth sides you bring them through regardless of how well you are doing, in fact I would argue it's better to bring them through onto the bench and give them minutes when you're doing well, not into a struggling team.

Hanson is only a year younger than Hughes who has over 100 appearances now, why bring Shotton in and not give Hanson a crack at being backup?

Kwame Thomas looks to be knocking them in, England call ups as well but again 19 already yet nowhere near the first team, we sign Best on loan.

Ok not everyone can come in as young as Hughes but at 19 I think we should start to see them on the bench, maybe playing in cup games like Calero, 19 again.

We're a club that gives youth a chance but our academy for me has to start producing more to be given praise

chelsea!?! they've produced no one at all, how can you say that they are in the top 3 in the country?

they actually have a decent academy. Through their academy they have had the likes of : john terry, ryan bertrand, ray wilkins, robert huth, boussafa, scott sinclair, mancienne, miroslav stoch, bridcutt, le saux, fabio borini. That is decent tbf

John Terry was signed from West Ham

Ryan Bertrand was signed from Gillingham

Mbark Boussoufa was at Middenmeer, Fortius and then signed from Ajax

Scott Sinclair was signed from Bristol Rovers

Miroslav Stoch was signed from FC Nitra

Fabio Borini was signed from Bologna

You can have the rest tho....Mancienne came from a semi pro side Kingstonian but I'll let you have that one seeing as you did so badly with the rest

The academy has junior internationals across all age groujps scattered across the home nations.

England:

U21 Hughes

U20 Thomas

U19 Bennett

U18 Lowe

Scotland:

U19 Dryden

Ireland (Republic):

U19 Wixted

U17 Tuite

Apologies as I've probably missed a few (and intentionally didn't count Calero or Freeman as we bought them in).

they actually have a decent academy. Through their academy they have had the likes of : john terry, ryan bertrand, ray wilkins, robert huth, boussafa, scott sinclair, mancienne, miroslav stoch, bridcutt, le saux, fabio borini. That is decent tbf

Decent but hardly quality players... although maybe some of them are good on Fifa and let's be honest that's all that matters.

Blimey how far do you want to go back to find a half decent player.

The question is who for? What makes a good academy? Producing players for other teams?

I think main objective should always be to develop players for your own squad,while loaning them out to get experience.Of course,you need a good coaching staff and contacts to make that work and we have both.

Archived