Our youth academy

AmericanRam

When looking at our youth academy and U21's and U18's,I easily feel we have one of the better youth setups in the league.Mac,Rush,Wassall, and others have done a great job in getting and developing guys for the future of Derby.

Which players do you like the best in these squads? I really like the potential Jamie Hanson has, and Koblenz and Calero are very promising also.Who do you see off these squads being the biggest star for the Rams?

Any other teams who have a very good youth setup as we do in your opinion?

'easily feel we have one of the better youth setups in the league'...just out of interest who are you comparing us to?

I would say that the players from the u18s and u21s that I have seen have looked relatively promising but I have never seen any other teams so would not really be able to compare.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chelsea's approach to getting young players looks a bit like horse trading to me. You buy any horse that looks like it could develop into a winner having already accepted that maybe one in ten will make it. You have ensured that your rival top clubs have not got them. You loan them out (29 by Chelsea last year), you get other teams to develop them for you and you flog off the lesser mortals. in extreme cases, you let really good players play against your rivals to hopefully scupper them and they cannot play against their parent Club. See Lukaku for details. I cannot see any problem with the Rams doing this. They get a career at some level and good training at Derby. Should Calero have a month's loan now? I think so. Rawson is a good player.

Archived