The depression

Cisse

I decided to start a thread about depression as the Robin Williams thread should be about him.

One thing I want to say that when a severely depressed person commits a suicide I think it is totally wrong to call that person selfish. A person who suffers from depression has brains that are not working properly. For that reason it is impossible to make normal decisions.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to start a thread about depression as the Robin Williams thread should be about him.

One thing I want to say that when a severely depressed person commits a suicide I think it is totally wrong to call that person selfish. A person who suffers from depression has brains that are not working properly. For that reason it is impossible to make normal decisions.

I totally agree. Depression is a disorder of the mind and not something to poke fun at.  I have been depressed in my life, and regardless if I was far from suicidal (which I of course was) I still had trouble getting through the day and concentrating on the most menial of tasks.

I have a bachelor's degree in Psychology so I have read and written several articles on depression and its ill effects.  I for one feel sorry for people who are constantly depressed throughout the day, and hope they get the help they deserve.  Yes, pills and other medication can help with that, but support from friends and family is just as important.  Here is a link I used quite often when I looked into depression. Perhaps people should give it a look:

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml

I totally agree. Depression is a disorder of the mind and not something to poke fun at.  I have been depressed in my life, and regardless if I was far from suicidal (which I of course was) I still had trouble getting through the day and concentrating on the most menial of tasks.

I have a bachelor's degree in Psychology so I have read and written several articles on depression and its ill effects.  I for one feel sorry for people who are constantly depressed throughout the day, and hope they get the help they deserve.  Yes, pills and other medication can help with that, but support from friends and family is just as important.  Here is a link I used quite often when I looked into depression. Perhaps people should give it a look:

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml

Thanks for the link. As someone who has suffered from depression since 2001 I gladly read any new articles I find.

Thanks for the link. As someone who has suffered from depression since 2001 I gladly read any new articles I find.

No problem. This is a great site for several different disorders and has helped me tremendously. Also, if you get bored and want to read the latest studies and whatnot on depression, you can use Google Scholar.

i went through depression about 10 years ago through a situation, through friends and family i managed to climb out of depression through friends and family still not fully escaped but i am one of the lucky cases i guess , with Robins case i guess no one can judge him , imagine being part of a night where your best friend overdosed, being in the public eye all of your life, a self confessed ex-addict, he put on a painted smile for as long as he could,,, but i guess people with severe depression reach a peak for how long they can cope mentally , very sad 

It's mental health in general, it's out of control. 136 wards are full, no beds anywhere. Discharged next morning worse than they went in... it's only going to get worse.

I dunno what to make of it anymore, if we were in the wild they'd be killed off by the pack but we're not and you can't say that sort of thing. I'm not convinced there is help out there.

Had family take their own (as I prefer to call it) one after 20 years of post-natel depression, dunno how she lasted that long! Another hung himself. Personal choice, not a nice decision for anyone to make.

Since there seem to be many of us here who have suffered from depression there must be a lot of interesting things that the disease has made us experience. Care to share ?

At one point that things were worse than now I often found myself in situations that I couldn't make the decisions to do something. Like sometimes I realised that I should go take a leak. It could take me two hours to get my butt from where I was sitting to go into the loo. Or sometimes I was standing in the middle of the room trying to decide if I should get myself something from the fridge. The decision could take an hour.

Sound familiar to anyone ?

Only time I will call suicide selfish is when it's done in public, off the top of buildings in city centres, parks, train tracks etc.

I don't know what the right way to do it is but not in public where it can effect other peoples life's witnessing it or finding you.

Only time I will call suicide selfish is when it's done in public, off the top of buildings in city centres, parks, train tracks etc.

I don't know what the right way to do it is but not in public where it can effect other peoples life's witnessing it or finding you.

Someones always going to find you eventually

I remember a lovely boy at the school I worked at , jumped off a building, I often wondered if he would have jumped but for the place he decided to jump from and the circumstances surrounding it all.  :(

A point I was trying to make in the other thread, and correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty much everyone who commits, or contemplates committing suicide, is suffering from some form of depression. So is there ever a situation where it could be considered selfish, if depression is a defense in itself.

Mind you, playing devils advocate to my own point, there are people who commit suicide due to various delusions that aren't depression - attention seeking, brainwashing etc. - but it all boils down to mental health issues. So do we say there is always a case of diminished responsibility in the case of suicide.

Genuinely interested, I don't really know what to think. I know I have felt people have been selfish in the past, and I've felt anger towards them, but the case of Robin Williams made me feel nothing but sympathy for him and his family. It's all very confusing, and more than my tiny mind can comprehend.

I honestly think if it had been my father that committed suicide, I would have felt so much anger and resentment towards him. Not just because of the effect on me, but the effect on everyone. Obviously you don't actually know how you will react/feel until it happens (god forbid) but that's how I think I would react. 

The biggest criticism leveled at depression as an illness is that every man and his dog seems to have had their tussles with depression these days.

I think that says more about how little society does to acknowledge the signs of depression than the 'validity' of the illness itself.

A subject close to my heart anyway, awful, awful disease.

I cant make me mind up if to post on this thread, or if people mis understood what I was getting at on the other one,

I was trying to say I can understand the attraction of suicide to a person suffering from depression, however I cant in my head convert that to the consequences outweighing the taking of my own life, as in if when I feel like sh!!t, and think whats the point in all this crap or life in general, surely the thought of putting everyone through that.

Its hard to explain what I mean so I should probably shut up as to not offend but not the act of suicide as selfish more knowing the effect it will have on everyone else as selfish, as fair enough it draws a line under my own turmoil but it creates a whole new pain for everyone else,

Hope I havent offended anyone just being honest about my view on it, I hope that anyone that has or thinks they have it would take this opportunity to talk about it,

The biggest criticism leveled at depression as an illness is that every man and his dog seems to have had their tussles with depression these days.

I think that says more about how little society does to acknowledge the signs of depression than the 'validity' of the illness itself.

A subject close to my heart anyway, awful, awful disease.

I think part of that is that we are sold this perfect life, that 99/100 times isnt achievable

I think too many times people arent as content with there lives as they used to be, everything is always about more or living life in a perception of how we think it should be

Archived