First game, pro's and cons

nfb

Before we start, i didnt go, but managed to listen to ramsplayer, and it sounded a typical first game, we we not the fluid side that we have seen on occassion last season, and we were the stuttering side we saw on occassion last season, who also usually manage to win, and we did again, thankfully.

That said, from listening,Christie sounded MOM, and lots of players were 'off colour' , Bryson, Dawkins, Martin... Hughes was ok, but wasted i believe in that position,and its too physical there for him, thats why he got knocks... While the defense sounded very suspect, and maybe we were very lucky to not conceed to Rotherham, we will meet better teams soon........

But, it was a first game and we will improve, i believe

But, from the ones who went, what was Omar like,sounded to have decent touch, but gave the ball away in daft areas, Best sounded like he could be a very shrewed bit of business (altho he wasnt on long) and Grant is solid and saved us !

Views from those who went please...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christie played well.

Finally we can attack on the right.

Fozzy's final ball was sloppy at times

Bucko played well

Keogh looked shaky at times

Hendrick was busy but over complicated things at times.

Hughes did well and cleared one off the line

Bryson - fairly anonymous

Martin - looked off it

Improved towards the end

Best - did well but would obviously prefer to be in the middle

Dawkins - drifting infield seems to go up blind alleys

Russell - not at his best but had a couple of efforts on goal

Keogh - hot and cold

Not convincing in the air

Omar - played well

Held the position. Good start

Pringle - was their best player

Dangerous delivery from corners

Green - was a bit of a tw@t

Wanted to fight a scrap

Dawkins was awful. He created nothing and lacked end product. He doesn't run down the flank like Russell or Ward does, he cuts inside every single time and runs into blind alleys and ends up losing the ball. Worst player on the pitch by a mile today.

Excellent performance from Christie though. Can't judge him properly on his defending though until he's come up against a decent winger ie. Lloyd Dyer. However, going forward today he looked very good; his crossing was very strong and he's got pace so can take men on. His assist today epitomises everything he did right going forward today; overlapped the winger, bit of skill then cut inside and put it on a plate for Hendrick. My MOTM today.

Keogh made one superb block in the first half and an excellent interception / clearance in the second after Derbyshire threatened to set a goal up. Horribly reminiscent of Wembley, but this time he managed to scrape the ball out of the danger area (temporarily).

We were a Curate's egg - good in parts.

Johnny Russell looked out of sorts, but he tends to blow hot and cold, as does / did Dawkins.

Martin came very much into it after Best came on - perhaps it gave him a bit more room.

There were three really impressive performances for me for Derby - Bucko, Christie and Hughes until he was substituted.

The goal was simply sublime - a typical Derby goal, well-constructed and superbly executed.

Keogh made one superb block in the first half and an excellent interception / clearance in the second after Derbyshire threatened to set a goal up. Horribly reminiscent of Wembley, but this time he managed to scrape the ball out of the danger area (temporarily).

We were a Curate's egg - good in parts.

Johnny Russell looked out of sorts, but he tends to blow hot and cold, as does / did Dawkins.

Martin came very much into it after Best came on - perhaps it gave him a bit more room.

There were three really impressive performances for me for Derby - Bucko, Christie and Hughes until he was substituted.

The goal was simply sublime - a typical Derby goal, well-constructed and superbly executed.

Spot on for me.  And I quite like the look of Mascarell.

Buxton and Bryson obviously aren't match fit and Keogh gave Bucko loads of help. I think people are going OTT about Christie. Rotherham's diamond formation made life difficult for HUghes and Martin, but is a boon for full backs.    

Whats with all the dawkins hate? I didnt think he played too badly, and does anyone else disagree with the commentary saying they dont know why dawkins started, it should have been ward? imo I thought he played quite well vs rangers and that was why he got the start today?

Thought Keogh was outstanding today, was a bit concerned after hearing he looked shaky in preseason but needn't have worried. Maybe he could've won a few more headers but aside from that not sure he put a foot wrong. Rest of the back 4 also looked good in general but set plays caused a bit of panic as ever.

Both wingers were poor on the whole, didn't hold their width as much as needed and it led to a very congested middle which played into Rotherham's hands. Would've liked to see Russell get at their leftback a lot more after the early booking but we barely took him on at all after that, disappointing.

Martin looked good when we got it in to him but the congested middle meant him, Bryson and Hendrick were operating in very tight areas for the majority of the game.

Overall pretty pleased, saw enough good stuff to be positive about and would've taken 3 points however they came today.

Whats with all the dawkins hate? I didnt think he played too badly, and does anyone else disagree with the commentary saying they dont know why dawkins started, it should have been ward? imo I thought he played quite well vs rangers and that was why he got the start today?

I've just re-read the entire thread and I didn't see any Dawkins 'hate'.

Three people suggested that Dawkins blew hot and cold or ran down blind alleys.

Pro's omar kicked the ball into orbit a couple of times. Cons hughes hurt his neck.

Probably watching Rotherham's 'passing' did that. I sit in row 'X' in the North Stand and I felt like I was looking up half the time. I would describe it as 'uglily effective'

Archived