Bunjaku/Santos/Calero

ariotofmyown

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit out the loop with these 3 players. Do we think we they are possible starters/regular benchers/occasional benchers if injuries?

Bunjako, occasional bench, Santos, only on the bench in an injury crisis, Calero, regular bench, maybe starting if we get some injuries

Bunjako, occasional bench, Santos, only on the bench in an injury crisis, Calero, regular bench, maybe starting if we get some injuries

Omar - Sedan chair

Callero - Bench

Best - Corner stool

Bunjaku - Recliner

Santos - Someone else's bench

Thorne - Wheelchair

Sammon - Deckchair

Ivan Calero has looked the most exciting to me. Only seen him in U21 games (apart from brief pre-season cameos for the seniors) and he was head and shoulders the best player on the park against Mickleover Sports and Belper Town. Has a good first touch, ability to run at players with the ball at pace, and has a great eye for a goal. He's listed in the U21 squad but will soon be pushing for a place on the bench if he continues this form.

Alban Bunjaku has a squad number of 22. He's played for the seniors in pre-season, mainly as a second half substitute, and in a couple of games for the U21. Based on what I've seen he's a different type of player than Calero. Less likely to run with the ball, Bunjaku has good touch, vision for a pass, and a good box-to-box engine. Against Belper Town, he and Calero ran the show for our U21s. Like Calero, I can see him pushing for a bench spot.

Alefe Santos I've mainly seen with U21s. He definitely has potential. Tricky wide player, can run at players with pace, and has a strong shot. Inconsistent though. Has flashes of brilliance but also disappears during games.

Shaquille McDonald is a pacy striker who isn't afraid to take a shot. Seen him play a couple of times and he has potential but needs to work on his all round game before he's ready to step up.

Of our Academly products, Jamie Hanson has done well in the DM position in pre-season and 2nd year scholar Max Lowe already looks a good LB. Farrend Rawson has shot up in size and stature and could yet make it at CB. Josh Lelan who's gone on loan to Swindon is showing promise as RB/CB. Other 2nd year scholars Callum Guy CM has a real eye for goal, Mo Adams DM looks neat and tidy, and Sam Dryden RB has just been called up for Scotland youth.

Then, of course, there's Mason Bennett who needs a Lg 1 loan to further his development and GK Ross Etheridge who has had more playing time than Jonathan Mitchell in pre-season.

Alex Cover, a first year scholar, came on as a late sub for the U21s against Belper Town at CB.

Overall I'd say the current batch of youth and academy players is the best it's been for a long time with a good number of real prospects for the future.

Archived