The Thorne Ultimatum!

RiverSowDog

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think he means the 2-1 away defeat 

When using an example of Eustace coming on and making a positive impact, why would he mean the 2-1 defeat where he didn't play and not the 4-4 where he came on and played out of his skin?

Some clubs play converted defenders in the central midfield defensive role but not sure anyone we have would fit the bill. Freeman if he is not getting a game otherwise? Whitbread? Dunno not seen enough of them really to be sure they'd be able to do it.

Eustace is a more than capable figure to be given the role in the team. He gives the young team we field a lot of experience and leadership, as the Ipswich game proved. A professional.

But relying solely on him isn't an option, I'd be surprised if we didn't get another CDM in on loan. Chalobah may be too expensive wage wise, but we're certainly the best destination for his development. But if Eustace did such a great job for us last season, despite being decrepit and past it, how well will a bog standard CDM do? I'd be happy to see us sign a bit of an athlete who can break up play like Eustace did. Digakcoi from Palace would have been perfect.

I meant SM's first game  ............................  putting Eustace on let the team tram on ......................................it wasn't rocket science , most of us could have told him that, but it WAS treated as tho 'SM had performed a managerial miracle.

Yep I do and type in English next time please.

Why do I consider myself a better judge than Schteve? Did he not drop Eustace for Thorne? His only error was not doing it earlier. When he obviously knew Eustace was limited.

Please also read my other posts.. I have consistently said we needed a defensive midfielder.

Just read what you want though.

That, in fact, was all English mate... If there's any words in there you didn't understand Google has a fairly good dictionary...

As other people have stated... Eustace was never dropped, he was suspended for a game, Thorne came in and did well, Macca gave him a chance to continue and Thorne just carried on getting better...

And I don't dispute you said we needed a DM... however there are other options in the squad of players who could do that role... just none of them do it as well as Eustace... they tried playing others there and it was a disaster...

BTW we do have an option no-one seems to have mentioned... Classy player... plays some glorious long balls... strong in the tackle... the only man who could take on chuck norris and win?

Some clubs play converted defenders in the central midfield defensive role but not sure anyone we have would fit the bill. Freeman if he is not getting a game otherwise? Whitbread? Dunno not seen enough of them really to be sure they'd be able to do it.

Not sure how he would do there, but maybe Keogh could play that role?  We could only do this if we sign a really good central defender on loan to replace Keogh, thus making the central defence stronger than what it is now.  I'm sure it's easier to find a central defender on loan than a DM though.  Hopefully Derby have a few good Premier League defenders in mind, someone of the same class and quality as Andre Wisdom would be good.

Personally, I see our holding midfielder options as:

1. John Eustace. A natural for that position, but would struggle to play week in, week out.

2. Paul Coutts.  He has most of the attributes to play the role, maybe try him there when we've got a comfortable lead in a match, or play him there in the U21 matches.  Not sure when he's due back from injury though.

3. Will Hughes.  Great passer and wasted on the bench, but not sure if he has the tackling ability.  I think he's an intelligent enough player to adapt to the role with a bit of time though.

4. Find a good DM on loan.  We managed to get George Thorne on loan last season, so hopefully someone else is available out there.

5. As I mentioned above, Keogh and get a really good central defender on loan.

6. Jamie Hanson.  Totally untried in the first team, but has potential.  Would be a big risk.

Losing George Thorne is a huge blow though.  I really think this could cost us 10+ points this season.  Gutted!!!

My one legged mum could do a better job than him ffs. He was NOT solid, he was a liability, do you really watch him play? He's *****, free or not.

I can't still believe Eustace and salmon are still at the club. Perhaps negotiations with Fred at the Red Lion are going on a bit.

Yes we needed a DCM but Eustace ffs, the most inept footballer I have ever seen. Where's that worst Derby 11 thread?

If i pissed in your pint and said it was free, would you be happy?

Yep I do and type in English next time please.

Why do I consider myself a better judge than Schteve? Did he not drop Eustace for Thorne? His only error was not doing it earlier. When he obviously knew Eustace was limited.

Please also read my other posts.. I have consistently said we needed a defensive midfielder.

Just read what you want though.

Why do you have to be such an odious individual when expressing your OPINION because that is all it is, it is your OPINION and it is no more right or wrong than anyone else's OPINION. Please stop acting like what you're saying is fact because I'm with the people who think Eustace did a great job last season. I don't think he'll be able to do it to the same standard this season because he's another year older. 

IF we were to bring in someone more defensive minded (I've seen Chalobah mentioned fairly regularly on here) we could maybe tweak our formation? 

DEFENCE

DM  Hughes

Brys/Hen

4213 rather than 4123. 

I think just as important as his ability to break play up is Thorne's ability to dictate play from deeper...This is why I would put Hughes there with a more defensive minded DM... Hughes is brilliant at tackling but he's not the sort of player to crunch someone in a 50/50, He'll only tackle when he knows he's gonna win the ball. However he can replicate Thornes ability to dictate play from deeper. 

This still allows us to have Hendrick or Bryson ahead of them with the 2 wider men and Martin. Obviously if we are piling pressure on teams then Hughes has a license to roam further forward with the DM covering. 

Not sure how he would do there, but maybe Keogh could play that role?  We could only do this if we sign a really good central defender on loan to replace Keogh, thus making the central defence stronger than what it is now.  I'm sure it's easier to find a central defender on loan than a DM though.  Hopefully Derby have a few good Premier League defenders in mind, someone of the same class and quality as Andre Wisdom would be good.

Personally, I see our holding midfielder options as:

1. John Eustace. A natural for that position, but would struggle to play week in, week out.

2. Paul Coutts.  He has most of the attributes to play the role, maybe try him there when we've got a comfortable lead in a match, or play him there in the U21 matches.  Not sure when he's due back from injury though.

3. Will Hughes.  Great passer and wasted on the bench, but not sure if he has the tackling ability.  I think he's an intelligent enough player to adapt to the role with a bit of time though.

4. Find a good DM on loan.  We managed to get George Thorne on loan last season, so hopefully someone else is available out there.

6. Jamie Hanson.  Totally untried in the first team, but has potential.  Would be a big risk.

Losing George Thorne is a huge blow though.  I really think this could cost us 10+ points this season.  Gutted!!!

I agree partly. But my order would be

(1.)

(2.)

If/when we are seriously going for promotion, I'd leave Keogh and Hanson totally out of this. Coutts and Eustace should be involved only as back ups.

You know what... I assumed Bucko would be better at the role as his passing ability is FAR better than Keogh's... But the marauding runs Keogh makes are very reminiscent of Sideshow Bob who I've always thought was best as a DM...

Keogh's passing however is woeful... 

When Macca changed our formation and started playing Eustace every week it was the decision of the season...

He was key to our play... the key change Macca made was playing a permanent, deep lying, defence protecting midfield cover player... that was Eustace... hence the key change meant that he was the key player...

Not sure if I should mention this but our 4-3-3 formation with Eustace as DM came from Clough, not McClaren... :ph34r:

Also, Eustace helped us to get briefly up to 2nd after 8 consecutive starts.  Obviously the other 10 men must've been doing bloody good to carry such a terrible player.

Not sure if I should mention this but our 4-3-3 formation with Eustace as DM came from Clough, not McClaren... :ph34r:

Also, Eustace helped us to get briefly up to 2nd after 8 consecutive starts.  Obviously the other 10 men must've been doing bloody good to carry such a terrible player.

True and True...

But with Nigel it was an option to switch to towards the end of a game rather than a first choice option... It was when Macca came in that Eustace nailed down the position... Nigel didn't seem to know what formation he wanted to play...

90% (or more) of the defensive part of DM is positioning, and Eustace is generally excellent at being in the right place. His maturity and selflessness also mean that he always prioritses keeping the conceded column down ahead of attacking. We should maybe be careful what we wish for getting a young DM in from the Prem. Someone who has no real investment in Derby might not have the same discipline.

There's little obvious to enjoy about Eustace on the football pitch but there's no denying that he had a massive impact on the team's solidity when he was implemented as a starter.

True and True...

But with Nigel it was an option to switch to towards the end of a game rather than a first choice option... It was when Macca came in that Eustace nailed down the position... Nigel didn't seem to know what formation he wanted to play...

Well we started Clough's last 4 games with him in that formation, it did seem like that is what he'd settled on.

That, in fact, was all English mate... If there's any words in there you didn't understand Google has a fairly good dictionary...

As other people have stated... Eustace was never dropped, he was suspended for a game, Thorne came in and did well, Macca gave him a chance to continue and Thorne just carried on getting better...

And I don't dispute you said we needed a DM... however there are other options in the squad of players who could do that role... just none of them do it as well as Eustace... they tried playing others there and it was a disaster...

BTW we do have an option no-one seems to have mentioned... Classy player... plays some glorious long balls... strong in the tackle... the only man who could take on chuck norris and win?

Hong Kong Fooey?

Or if it's who I think you mean, do you really think he could play the role well enough.....must admit it's not an option most have thought of (including me) which is why it's not been mentioned til now. And its' actually not a bad suggestion now i'm picturing it....... 

Hong Kong Fooey?

Or if it's who I think you mean, do you really think he could play the role well enough.....must admit it's not an option most have thought of (including me) which is why it's not been mentioned til now. And its' actually not a bad suggestion now i'm picturing it....... 

I was saying it to my dad for half of last season... His passing ability was astounding last season (no idea where it appeared from!) and he's great in the tackle... Also one of his biggest weaknesses is his lack of pace and how he often gets turned around by quick forwards... which wouldn't happen in the DM role... Or rather when it did he wouldn't be the last man...

Think he'd have to bring back the beard to fulfill the hard-man element... and also because I grew a bucko-beard in tribute to him and now he's got rid of it I may have to...

Archived