The Thorne Ultimatum!

RiverSowDog

With the gutting news that George Thorne will be out for 9 months due to an Anterior Cruciate ligament injury after all of the effort, negotiation and emotion invested in the protracted pursuit and eventual capture of his signature last week, do we need a significant (probable) loan addition to the squad to be the main CDM before the windown shuts ...... or is Eusty and the current squad strong enough to see us through???? Views Gents n Ladies ...and suggestions too!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be a bit early to push Hanson into a first team situation, dunno what his qualities as a DM are, thought he was a CB but had has played in midfield pre-season, Eustace did tire after Christmas, so I do expect someone to come in.

Be patient though, if some does come in it might take a few weeks.

Eustace was outstanding last season, despite all the negativity surrounding his signing (he was on a free remember). The only issue now is his age, 34. He is also not the most mobile of players. I'd try and find a decent loan, Chalobah maybe? With that and Eustace and possibly Coutts, we should hopefully be fine

Eustace was outstanding last season, despite all the negativity surrounding his signing (he was on a free remember). The only issue now is his age, 34. He is also not the most mobile of players. I'd try and find a decent loan, Chalobah maybe? With that and Eustace and possibly Coutts, we should hopefully be fine

Just pis sed myself at that post. How on any level was Eustace outstanding? I don't give a toss he was on a free, what's that got to do with anything... He is crap, he can't pass, his decision making is that of an U12..

The ball just hits him sometimes..

Just pis sed myself at that post. How on any level was Eustace outstanding? I don't give a toss he was on a free, what's that got to do with anything... He is crap, he can't pass, his decision making is that of an U12..

He was solid, bridging the gap between defence and midfield which was what we lacked the season before. I believe he was key to us conceding less goals. His success was eclipsed towards the end of the season by Thorne being SO good but Eustace was quality for us.

Don't seem to agree with YR very often but have to say that you're defo wrong here... When Macca changed our formation and started playing Eustace every week it was the decision of the season... Eustace did exactly what a defensive mid is supposed to... sat back, protected the defence and broke up play... he doesn't need to pass the ball other than 10 yards to Hughes/Bryson/Hendrick... 

Please remember that for a large chunk of the season he kept Thorne out of the side...

Eustace was good last season unless everyone else was watching a different game, cant see how people could say he wasn't, or we wouldn't have been so high in the league and struggled so much when he didn't play.

In fact remember once seeing a chap play against us for Coventry many years ago and being so impressed looked up who it was and it was the man himself so kept an eye on his career since then.

That said, at coming on 35, peoples legs can go quickly at around that age (Barton, Kenna to name a couple in the past, though perhaps less vital in a holding midfield role) its perhaps likely he wont play all the games I'm guessing where we have some in midweek especially.

Personally think Mac may well try Hughes in that position again (tried him there against Notts) and last season when he did play that role think we were missing Martin who is so integral to our style so although it hasn't worked yet perhaps if Hughes is a tad stronger this season it may not be an experiment to write off too early.

A loan could be possible, perhaps another Eustace type who has the experience and cant get a game in the Premiership though perhaps that would be further down the line if things aren't working.

He was solid, bridging the gap between defence and midfield which was what we lacked the season before. I believe he was key to us conceding less goals. His success was eclipsed towards the end of the season by Thorne being SO good but Eustace was quality for us.

My one legged mum could do a better job than him ffs. He was NOT solid, he was a liability, do you really watch him play? He's *****, free or not.

I can't still believe Eustace and salmon are still at the club. Perhaps negotiations with Fred at the Red Lion are going on a bit.

Yes we needed a DCM but Eustace ffs, the most inept footballer I have ever seen. Where's that worst Derby 11 thread?

If i pissed in your pint and said it was free, would you be happy?

I am a big fan of Hanson. I don't think he is quite ready. Eustace is very old. Good to have as part of rotation but not first choice. I don't like to play people who we know struggle to last 90 minutes (like Coutts). Most likely will be a dip in the loan market for someone to be first choice or rotated with Eustace. 

Perhaps we might see some changes in formation. Which would be nice to see. I do hope Hanson get's a shot though if I am being hopeful. He is a CB, so defense wise should be very solid. While any downfalls he would make up for with his contributions through set pieces. 

My one legged mum could do a better job than him ffs. He was NOT solid, he was a liability, do you really watch him play? He's *****, free or not.

I can't still believe Eustace and salmon are still at the club. Perhaps negotiations with Fred at the Red Lion are going on a bit.

Yes we needed a DCM but Eustace ffs, the most inept footballer I have ever seen. Where's that worst Derby 11 thread?

If i pissed in your pint and said it was free, would you be happy?

*Sammon

Were we not watching the same matches? He swept up everything that fell in the hole between midfield and defence and generally steadied the team. He was key to our play last season, hi sitting deeper allowed the other midfield 2 to push forward which led to our attack-based play and when the other team countered, they could trust Eustace to defend and help out the back 4. Great player

Don't seem to agree with YR very often but have to say that you're defo wrong here... When Macca changed our formation and started playing Eustace every week it was the decision of the season... Eustace did exactly what a defensive mid is supposed to... sat back, protected the defence and broke up play... he doesn't need to pass the ball other than 10 yards to Hughes/Bryson/Hendrick... 

Please remember that for a large chunk of the season he kept Thorne out of the side...

That's only PART of what a defensive midfielder is supposed to do and he was not very good at that!

Pass it 10 yards to Hughes.... When?

He only got in the team because we had nothing else.

That's only PART of what a defensive midfielder is supposed to do and he was not very good at that!

Pass it 10 yards to Hughes.... When?

He only got in the team because we had nothing else.

Mmmm, some good views so far on plan B.........but this isn't one of em; what a load of ******-talk

*Sammon

Were we not watching the same matches? He swept up everything that fell in the hole between midfield and defence and generally steadied the team. He was key to our play last season, hi sitting deeper allowed the other midfield 2 to push forward which led to our attack-based play and when the other team countered, they could trust Eustace to defend and help out the back 4. Great player

You must have FIFA 13 or something then, because it never happened on match days.

'Key to our play'... OMG as the youngsters say.

Credibility now zero I'm afraid.

Archived