Will hughes 2018 world cup?

Lord_Ram

just something to talk about really (thats not GT related)

having a windows 8 laptop i randomly check on the sports thingy and i noticed there was a 'future potential england world cup 2018 squad' article and i checked it out of interest, and there was no mention of hughes

so out of interest if this was the only one, i checked 6 or 7 sites and only 1 of them tipped him to be a part of the 2018 world cup, which i find kind of strange

i very much doubt he'd still be at derby by then and would be playing for a top team in the premier league, and considering he'd be 23 and currently players like barkley, sterling, flanagan, and stones are in and around the side at 20 i a bit fathomed by this

anyone elses thoughts?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose with him being a Championship player he's not that evident on "sports experts" radars so, for me, it's not a surprise he's only included in one of the line-ups you've found.

For me he still needs to develop a bit more before I would put proper money on him being in the 2018 squad but he is a definite prospect. Unfortunately until he gets to play in the Premiership nobody can really say how good he is going to be although the majority on here (including me) think he will shine.

According to my brother he was in the Lad Bible 2018 starting 11.

I'd say he'd be in the squad, but maybe not one of the starters. It depends what happens, where he goes.

But I will say this, Will Hughes has progressed so well by being understated by the media. They are aware of him, but they never put the spotlight on him like they have done with young players like Barkley, Sterling (who is the same age) etc... As an England fan, I'm happy that he is not mentioned in the predicted teams for 2018. If he's ready by then, he'll show them all with his talent. Our media tend to destroy young talents mentally by pinning all their hopes on them (see Jack Wilshere- bereft of confidence in an England shirt these days). It is good that they aren't doing that with Hughes.

I'm sick of the papers going all "this kid for 2016" or "this kid for 2018" and all that rubbish. When they are ready, call them up. Until then, don't put pressure on them.

Thorne and Hughes will both make it, Jeff will run riot for the Irish, Alefe Santos will dazzle the Brazilians with his skill and Alban Bunjaku will secure a debut World Cup win for Kosovo. Chants of 'You only came to see the Derby' will ring round Russian stadiums and 2018 will forever be known as Derby's World Cup.

If you look at the predicted 2014 squad from 2007 only one player was in the eventual team... kind of (Walcott)

Point being you don't know who will push on to eventually crack the squad.

They pick the best players from the premier league youth set ups and players around the team, don't bother looking at the lower leagues

Thorne and Hughes will both make it, Jeff will run riot for the Irish, Alefe Santos will dazzle the Brazilians with his skill and Alban Bunjaku will secure a debut World Cup win for Kosovo. Chants of 'You only came to see the Derby' will ring round Russian stadiums and 2018 will forever be known as Derby's World Cup.

Alefe Santos needs to manage to dazzle at Mickleover Sports level first .....

Will Hughes style perfectly suited to ball retention on the international stage ....... yet England never even considered Huddlestone in the Jordan Henderson role. Not quite as mobile, but able t osit deeper and pick out passes rather than pass it backwards to a fullback or charge forwards "dribbling" of sorts then to only turn ...and pass to full back !

With a foreign coach, Will has every chance of making squad for 2018 -- as long as he starts to practice shooting.

The play off miss in first half from edge of box running onto it still haunts me :-(

Archived