Will there be a new World Cup Trophy for 2018?

ramafan

When Brazil won original World Cup 3 times in 1970 they got to keep the cup and a new one was introduced in 1974, well 40 years later one of these 2 teams will win the trophy for a 3rd time so will they be allowed to keep the trophy? And will we have a new trophy for Russia 2018?

Whoever wins should be allowed to keep present trophy, come on Germany.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doubt it. Don't think Italy got to keep it after 1982 or even 2006. Although the three wins weren't actually the same trophy so I dunno.

As you say it wasn't the same trophy, I think one of these 2 teams should keep the present trophy, it would be unfair having let Brazil keep the original trophy.

This reminded me that England would have been presented with a new trophy in 1966 if Pickles hadn't found the original in a hedge after it had been stolen. I think this was the trophy that Brazil were allowed to keep.

"en7e8qy" alt="en7e8qy">

This photo shows his owner, Dave Corbett re-enacting the scene.

Unfortunately Pickles had to be represented by a plaster effigy as he died when he choked on his lead while chasing a cat.

I guess the answer is no

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10959027/Germany-v-Argentina-World-Cup-final-champions-not-allowed-to-keep-trophy-despite-becoming-three-time-winners.html

Telegraph.co.uk

One of Germany and Argentina will become the first country to win the current World Cup trophy for the third time on Sunday - but they will not get to keep it.

The 18-carat gold Fifa World Cup Trophy was commissioned after Brazil won the Jules Rimet Trophy for the third time in 1970, with Fifa's regulations at the time stating any nation to record three triumphs would become its permanent owners.

But these rules were subsequently amended to state that the trophy would remain in Fifa's possession, with the World Cup winners awarded a gold-plated replica referred to as 'Fifa World Cup Winners' Trophies'.

The current World Cup trophy was won by Germany in 1974 and 1990, and by Argentina in 1978 and 1986.

The name of the winning country from each year is engraved on the base of the trophy, although there appears to be room for only four more engravings.

That would co-incide with the 2030 tournament, when the World Cup marks its 100th anniversary, which would be a fitting moment to retire the trophy.

It was designed by Italian artist Silvio Gazzaniga, stands 36.8 centimetres (14.5 inches) tall, and weighs slightly less than 6.2 kilograms (13.61 pounds).

Can I just point out that West Germany won it in 1974 and 1990.

Germany have never won this particular trophy.

Erm - 1974 was the first time this particular trophy was played for, with it having been commissioned after Brazil won the Jules Rimet trophy in 1970

Erm - 1974 was the first time this particular trophy was played for, with it having been commissioned after Brazil won the Jules Rimet trophy in 1970

Erm, the country that won it in 1974 and 1990 is not the same country that's playing for the trophy on Sunday.

Germany have never won the World Cup.

That is all.

Erm, the country that won it in 1974 and 1990 is not the same country that's playing for the trophy on Sunday.

Germany have never won the World Cup.

That is all.

Bit like Forest and those European Cups then.

Ahh but much like everything they were awarded the wins when the country was reunified. The history books say they have won it.

Did they get accredited with all if easy Germany's losses too?

Seriously, I noticed the two logos together today, and Germany already has 3 stars. What's that all about?

Germany won the Jules Rimet trophy too

So they have won the World Cup 3 times, just not this particular trophy.

That's a bit pedantic isn't it? Why weren't they allowed to keep it after the third win before.

If they were given this trophy, would Argentina have to reset to zero and win the next trophy three times to get to keep it.

Inconsistency everywhere. Pisses me off.

So they have won the World Cup 3 times, just not this particular trophy.

That's a bit pedantic isn't it? Why weren't they allowed to keep it after the third win before.

If they were given this trophy, would Argentina have to reset to zero and win the next trophy three times to get to keep it.

Inconsistency everywhere. Pisses me off.

Italy have win four world cups too

My respect for Argentina went up when they refused Maradonna's demand for his number 10 shirt to be retired (emulating Pele) as a tribute to his "contribution" to football.

It's still not that high though TBH!

Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles.

(German, German overalls) :rolleyes:

It's such a horrible final for the English... But for some reason I don't really find myself disliking this German team.

That said, I want Argentina to win as I have them in a sweepstake for an

Archived