Jamaal Lascelles' future

Uptherams

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lascelles is an athlete but his reading of a game is really quite poor and that's the hardest thing to coach which makes me think he'll struggle to make it unless Pearce, or whoever, can really coach his positioning and concentration.

I want Forest to really dig their heels in over him because he really is their third best defender when fully fit and doesn't improve their side, whereas I fear a windfall of 4 or 5 million could.

I definitely, definitely, definitely would not want him if we had been promoted - he's really not mature enough for that level yet. However, on the cheap (which wouldn't be possible) I'd take a chance on him.

He really needs coaching though, desperately.

Was it him that was dragged out of position by Bamford when Hendrick scored in the 5-0?

Yes.

He was absolutely awful in the game against us, he isn't switched on enough to deal with forward runners - he's too slow in the mind, which sorta is my point.

He's a great athlete and I've seen him make some good last ditch tackles, but that's usually because he wasn't standing by his man in the first instance.

I've watched him seven or eight times in the past 12 months and I'm not a huge fan. He certainly wouldn't crack the Premier League, unless he has someone next to him to bail him out.

Have I awoken and upset the neanderthals that chant if you hate Forest stand up every 5 minutes? 

Zzzzzzzzzz ug?

I will say this for him though.

Strengths:

He's a good, tidy footballer.

He's very athletic, quick over 10-yards...etc

He is able to cover slower defenders, comfortably.

He is full-blooded and is willing to get his knees dirty.

Looks to play the 'correct' way all the time, he will try and play it short before smashing it long - something I like to see.

At the minute, he is about par for a Championship defender, streets behind Buxton and someway behind Keogh too [based on last season]. A Premier League move, if he is going to be coached better, would be good for him but I fancy him to stay at Forest and stunt in his progression a little.

He has the makings of a good defender, especially in the Premier League because of the athletisism, but he needs some serious, serious, SERIOUS quality coaching to reach that level.

The next two seasons will be huge for him.

Lascelles is an athlete but his reading of a game is really quite poor and that's the hardest thing to coach which makes me think he'll struggle to make it unless Pearce, or whoever, can really coach his positioning and concentration.

Exactly. Which is why I said ''I hate to say this but I expect a great season for him under Pearce if he stays at Forest.'' Great player if he improves his positioning and decision making. Coaching and advice from some of the best is all he could need. 

Exactly. Which is why I said ''I hate to say this but I expect a great season for him under Pearce if he stays at Forest.'' Great player if he improves his positioning and decision making. Coaching and advice from some of the best is all he could need. 

He hasn't got coaching or advice from some of the best though, that's my point.

I want him to stay at Forest, purely from a Derby point of view. In the short term, when fully fit, Wilson and Hobbs are streets ahead of Lascelles and if they're going to put him in to 'help' his progression ahead of one of them then they will be a weaker team for it.

Hobbs and Wilson are made of glass though, so he's likely to get game time anyway.

We'll see.

Archived