Transfer boredom; Name your Derby Allstar team from your era

R@M

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Smith's side are really dominating this.

Probably because its the last truly decent Derby side most folk can remember. Also it was the first time we had signed foreigners en masse & we were very fortunate that many of them were excellent for us. Possibly slightly harsh on the late 80's team & very harsh on the 70's sides.

I'm now wondering which was the better side - 1988/89 team vs 1997/98 team?!

Jim Smith's side are really dominating this.

I didn't think I'd be one of the oldest posters! Looking at some of these lists, I feel relatively blessed to remember some of the cox and all Bald Eagle days.

Chris Powell should be on my bench as it was a close run thing between him and Forsyth, but the 400 plus appearances, and the need for a hard core defender with Eranio on the other side swayed me.

Probably because its the last truly decent Derby side most folk can remember. Also it was the first time we had signed foreigners en masse & we were very fortunate that many of them were excellent for us. Possibly slightly harsh on the late 80's team & very harsh on the 70's sides.

I was just reviewing the teams, I'd have to go for a 2 goal margin in favour of the Bald Eagle. Only Mark Wright would be a shoe in to the later team. I personally would have replaced Carsley with G Williams.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/derby-county/tab/players/season/1989

http://www.11v11.com/teams/derby-county/tab/players/season/1998

Not far off what I was going to put, just trying to figure out where I could put baiano

I had that same issue, but ultimately he missed out due to the fact that Asa simply had to play. Was very tempted to try and squeeze Sturridge and Gabbiadini in there too.

GK - Mart Poom

RB - Eranio

LB - Chris Powell

CB - Igor Stimac

CB - Craig Short

CM - Stefano Eranio

DM - Seth Johnson

CM - Aljosa Asanovic

AM - Tommy Johnson

CF - Paulo Wanchope

CF - Marco Gabiadini

Subs:

Biano

Simpson

Pembridge

Laursen

Idiakiz

Chris Martin

Bryson

I couldn't have Pembridge even on the bench, He never looked happy at Derby and I always had the feeling he'd rather be somewhere else.

from 2000 onwards......(when i say 2000 i was only 6 -_-)

Gk- erm grant?

RB- erm, Brayford?

CB- Barker

CB- Shackell

LB- give me a F.....Forsyth

CM- Seth

CM- Idiakez

CM- Oakley

ST- Commons?

ST- Howard

ST- Peschisolido (favourite player)

To be honest i think its a strong squad with what i had to work with ;p, hard not to just pick our squad this season tbh

Subs:

Moore(he's big, he's black he'll break your F back), only need one sub.

I was just reviewing the teams, I'd have to go for a 2 goal margin in favour of the Bald Eagle. Only Mark Wright would be a shoe in to the later team. I personally would have replaced Carsley with G Williams.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/derby-county/tab/players/season/1989

http://www.11v11.com/teams/derby-county/tab/players/season/1998

I think I have to agree with you. Even though we finished 5th in a pretty competitive division in 88/89, the quality of players in Jim's side is (I think) superior. Fond memories of both though! Also for me, Saunders would have nipped into the later side ahead of Wanchope or Sturridge.

I think I have to agree with you. Even though we finished 5th in a pretty competitive division in 88/89, the quality of players in Jim's side is (I think) superior. Fond memories of both though! Also for me, Saunders would have nipped into the later side ahead of Wanchope or Sturridge.

Nice of Liverpool fans to ruin a European adventure for us in 89/90

Clough era

............................... Green..........................

Webster. ...........Mackay. .............McFarland...........Robson

................Durban..............Carlin.................McGovern

..........Hector...................... O'Hare........................Hinton

Mackay era

..................................... Boulton........................................

Thomas...............Todd...................McFarland................. Nish.

...............Newton............... Gemmill.................... Rioch.

.........Hector...........................Lee..............................George.

I've been a lucky sod to watch this lot!

The Mackay era team is the one that beat Real Madrid 4 - 1......................seeing Archie Gemmill dump Gunter Netzer on his ar$e in the Baseball Ground mud is still one of those priceless memories!

This. I don't have to change a thing (although of course Les Green had gone before the first league title - Boulton being the only ever-present in both successful seasons)

Dunno but either championship sides would beat both of them put together.

5-3-2

Poom

Stimac ............ West. ........... M. Johnson

Laursen ............ C.Powell

Eranio ........... Hughes ............. Kinkladze

Wanchope ................. Baiano

Subs

Hoult

Wisdom

Idiakez

Huddlestone

Commons

Martin

Raisak

Nice of Liverpool fans to ruin a European adventure for us in 89/90

I am still gutted about that. What they cost us (and a lot of other similar sized teams) in not just the Euro adventure itself but also the financial rewards enabling us to kick on and keep our best players is IMO, immeasurable. I was literally laughing when Gerard slipped. I hope they never win anything ever again!

Archived