Saturday 14th - World Cup Match Thread

Srg

Why was it? What was so embarrassing about losing 2-1 to Italy rather unfortunately.

Remember, this England team failed to beat Ukraine twice in qualifying, were fortunate not to lose to Poland and Montenegro and recently drew with Ecuador and Honduras in friendlies.

Why are you building them up so much? We're bang average, probably not even a top 15 team in the world and we just gave Italy an excellent game.

I was watching wit my Mexican friends and they all said we played well in the second half especially and didn't deserve to lose.

Tactically embarrassing? We're not feckin Man City who just lost to Wigan.

A young fit squad like ours vs the old tired legs of Italy. If we are not are not even a top 15 team Italy are not even a top 50 team. We played their game. Not because they were good but because our approach was shameful. Why did we sit back and allow their midfield to keep hold of the ball. There wasn't any closing down. No one putting in the tackle (except Welbeck). 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Bris, the disappointment comes because Italy are not a great side. They have defensive deficiencies themselves that were there to be exploited. Deficiencies that were highlighted numerous times in the first half, and a fair few in the second. Unfortunately, we seemed to learn absolutely nothing from the obvious issues that Baines was having in the first 45 minutes, and allowed that to continue in the second half, culminating in a second goal. After that they could afford to sit more men behind the ball and shore up the gaps in their own defence, hence we found it harder to exploit.

A side playing with pace against Italy, who also have a decent defence, someone like Holland, would ease past Italy IMO.

I agree that we played well going forward. It's just a shame that we're undermined by such a fragile defensive capability.

Italy are probably the best team in Europe. Tactically they are faultless played the game perfectly and won. We worked Sirigu a hell of a lot more than Hart was but the Italians. England are not a good team but did okay against an solid Italy side.

Italy 2-1 England.... The stat that matters....

Here's another stat for you.

We failed to make Euro 2008

We scored a total of three goals at the WC 2010

We were knocked out of the quarter-final stage at 2012

Why do you believe we're a top side? Please, answer me. If that was Derby against someone like Everton we would have been happy with that display. So what's the change in attitude with England, who by and large are bang average?

Please please tell me. Why are you acting like a supporter of Msnchester City? Since when have England been that good that we should be demanding top class performances, or better than Itlay for that matter? Since when? 

Here's another stat for you.

We failed to make Euro 2008

We scored a total of three goals at the WC 2010

We were knocked out of the quarter-final stage at 2012

Why do you believe we're a top side? Please, answer me. If that was Derby against someone like Everton we would have been happy with that display. So what's the change in attitude with England, who by and large are bang average?

Please please tell me. Why are you acting like a supporter of Msnchester City? Since when have England been that good that we should be demanding top class performances, or better than Itlay for that matter? Since when? 

What the hell does 4 years ago + have to do with things. Do we say Derby are a bad team today because of what we did 4 even 6 years ago?

A young fit squad like ours vs the old tired legs of Italy. If we are not are not even a top 15 team Italy are not even a top 50 team. We played their game. Not because they were good but because our approach was shameful. Why did we sit back and allow their midfield to keep hold of the ball. There wasn't any closing down. No one putting in the tackle (except Welbeck). 

Your deluded if you think we're better than Italy. We're not. Who out of our team would get into theirs? They had a player on the bench who just signed for Borussia Dortmund, our only other striker option played for Southampton and will be no more than back-up Liverpool player.

Glen Johnson = average

Phil Jags = Everton, average

Gary Cahill = decent, but only a 8/10

Leighton Baines = average

Gerrard = average/good but old

Henderson = average

Sterling = exciting youngster, lacks experience on international stage

Waye Rooney = Nt even a top 40 player in the world

Danny Welbeck = bench player for a team which finished seventh

Sturridge = Good, I like him.

So go on, why do you think this crop of players are that good and better than Italy? Laughable.

What the hell does 4 years ago + have to do with things. Do we say Derby are a bad team today because of what we did 4 even 6 years ago?

Derby can buy players, England are using players who played for them four years ago. Jees, just tell me why you think we're so good.... Please?

Deluded the lot of ya!

Your deluded if you think we're better than Italy. We're not. Who out of our team would get into theirs? They had a player on the bench who just signed for Borussia Dortmund, our only other striker option played for Southampton and will be no more than back-up Liverpool player.

Glen Johnson = average

Phil Jags = Everton, average

Gary Cahill = decent, but only a 8/10

Leighton Baines = average

Gerrard = average/good but old

Henderson = average

Sterling = exciting youngster, lacks experience on international stage

Waye Rooney = Nt even a top 40 player in the world

Danny Welbeck = bench player for a team which finished seventh

Sturridge = Good, I like him.

So go on, why do you think this crop of players are that good and better than Italy? Laughable.

Only thing that will stay with me in that game is that Rooney shouldn't be in the XI. Or possibly the 23. IMO. One paced and never dominates a game like his reputation suggests he should. I know, I know, good cross, otherwise, meh.

Some good attacking threat, I can't argue with the tactics, my only gripe is that we never found a way to get to grips with their right flank.

Only thing that will stay with me in that game is that Rooney shouldn't be in the XI. Or possibly the 23. IMO. One paced and never dominates a game like his reputation suggests he should. I know, I know, good cross, otherwise, meh.

Some good attacking threat, I can't argue with the tactics, my only gripe is that we never found a way to get to grips with their right flank.

I wouldn't take Rooney anywhere near the derby side, let alone England, would rather have Torres, that's saying something

I agree, but that wasn't just our downfall. (Not related at you) The opposition can be good without having to blast our players. Instead of criticising our left back, how about just admitting Italy were excellent down their right flank because they were - because they have a good team!

Italy aren't a great side?

They finished runners-up in Euro 2012, and have the basis of a cracking young side. I don't understand... Or are you judging them on two friendlies?

Italy will make the quarter-finals at least because they are a top 10 side.

Italy defend in numbers, always have. They rarely leave space at the back, and the attack using wingbacks and excellent crossing.

I can't believe what I'm reading. Do you guys think we are Brazil or something? We're not even as good as Colombia.

Italy are a good side. They are not a great side. 

By your own words, England aren't a top 10 side, yet our moderately talented forwards, by virtue of having some pace, carved them open a number of times in both the first half, and the second. 

They finished runners up in Euro 2012 - Fantastic, let's call the whole thing off now then and hand over the trophy to the top-ranked side from two years ago. Are Spain the same side they were two years ago? Are England?

I doubt many think that England are Brazil. By the same measure, I doubt many think that Italy are either. 

Only one I disagree with, thought he was superb and apparently had relationship problems with moyes 

He was superb, but he's not a particularly good footballer IMO. If he was German he'd be watching the World Cup at home with his missus or with the lads on a lavish holiday.

Italy are a good side. They are not a great side. 

By your own words, England aren't a top 10 side, yet our moderately talented forwards, by virtue of having some pace, carved them open a number of times in both the first half, and the second. 

They finished runners up in Euro 2012 - Fantastic, let's call the whole thing off now then and hand over the trophy to the top-ranked side from two years ago. Are Spain the same side they were two years ago? Are England?

I doubt many think that England are Brazil. By the same measure, I doubt many think that Italy are either. 

Italy are a great side, how can you say they're not?

England aren't a top 10 side, and we cut them open at times because we palyed a very good game going forward.

You will see England play a lot worse than last night, and I can't wait to see your reaction to that.

Italy are probably the best team in Europe. Tactically they are faultless played the game perfectly and won. We worked Sirigu a hell of a lot more than Hart was but the Italians. England are not a good team but did okay against an solid Italy side.

If italy were the best side in Europe then I'd weep for the state of the European game. 

Spain and Germany are better (despite Friday night's Spanish comedy show), and you could easily make a similar argument for Holland.

Where to start;the problem is i'm not supposed to say"I told you so".So I won't.We could

be miles better than Italy,if you read my previous posts I said its all about team selection.

Roy did what I expected - he got it wrong.Italy who must have the worst Italian team in their

history,must have been so relieved when they saw our line-up.By the time we almost got

it right,it was too late.

I've got a great idea start off with your best side.E.G no Gerard,no Rooney,no Henderson

what did they do?Rooney crossed for our goal,but at a sacrifice of being worse than useless

at playing left-sided midfield leaving poor Baines exposed.If we keep going on the way we

are,we will be coming home after the group stages.By the way our defence is crap,too,but

we might get away with that if we get the rest of it right.

If italy were the best side in Europe then I'd weep for the state of the European game. 

Spain and Germany are better (despite Friday night's Spanish comedy show), and you could easily make a similar argument for Holland.

More to the point Italy know how to win.

It was a ridiculous thing to say. 

Interesting to see no one mentioned joe hart? Didn't think he played to well today, dealt alright with incoming balls, and couldn't have stopped their first goal, but kept coming out to players and getting no way near the ball, what the hell he was doing in not getting back into the Goal after completely failing against balotelli is anyone's guess, damn lucky to have jaguelka their, and left completely standing and helpless against pirlos free kick, that I would put money on that Italy's keeper would have covered

Archived