Brazil v Croatia

-JW-

Didn't say they shouldn't get it wrong - just not SO wrong

The penalty was obviously an act of simulation. Top referees get paid to do the job they are professional now.

your playing on words there. What's so wrong and what's wrong? What's the difference? It's either wrong or right?!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The very best officials in the world and he's got a view from 15 yards away clear as you like and he calls that a penalty. Incompetence on an inconceivable scale or corruption? I call corruption.

a mistake plain and simple....

Croatia have been good and they are a good side.

1/3 was a silly short price for Brazil to win this game. 

Croatia will qualify in this group with only a poor Mexico side to offer any threat.

Mexico aren't a poor side at all. Yes they aren't as good as previous years, but they're not poor - more like a 6/10 side but definitely top 30 in the world.

I'd back Croatia for second place though - I think Mark Lawrenson doesn't know anything about them if he says they're a 'poor side'.

In Mandzukic, Rakitic and Modric they have three worldclass players there. The GK is poor though but I thought they played well.

Not playing on words - getting conned by an obvious dive is worse than making a mistake.

so that makes the player a cheat, but we will shove that under the carpet....

Can you see how hard it is for referees to referee a game nowadays? It's win at all costs....

so that makes the player a cheat, but we will shove that under the carpet....

Can you see how hard it is for referees to referee a game nowadays? It's win at all costs....

No getting conned in the box is something they must be aware of and alert to.

Put it this way a mistake is like when he gave handball against Olic when it hit his face because of where Olics hand was it could have looked like handball. An obvious dive in the box shouldn't fool the best referees, it just incompetence.

Love all the referees who have seen every decision a few times on replays.... Sorry if I defend them to the hilt but I would love to see 'fans' take control of games and see how they referee a football game.

A referee in a match of this magnitude should be competent enough to be able to get that decision correct. He has to be 100% certain that it was a penalty.

I like the idea of Dermot Gallacher's idea of having a three man panel, an ex-manager, an ex-player and an ex-ref.

If all three panel members agree on any contentious simulation events in a match, the player is hit with a 3 match suspension.

It'd soon stamp out the cheating that goes on in matches.

It was a poor decision, but refereeing a game is far different from watching it live on TV...

On the whole, I thought the ref had quite a solid game.

One or two mistakes, fine, they're only human. But several big decisions is crap. No red card for Neymar (then he scores two), conned for the penalty, a very good shout for a peno from Luiz's challenge, then there's nothing wrong with the disallowed goal. If I was Croatia I'd feel absolutely robbed, and I'd be blaming the ref.

As it is, my wife is a quarter Brazilian, so she's happy. And I've got a wife who's quarter Brazilian, so I'm happy.

If Chris Martin had been sent off for a similar challenge that of Neymar's, I would be far from pleased.  A booking was suitable for me.

Similarly, the keeper, in real time looked like he had been impeded by Olic (and the linesman gave that).  Again, if it happened against us, I'd be screaming foul!

Luiz's challenge was never a penalty for me.

It's the World Cup. Dodgy referee decisions and players cheating and conning are all part of the tapestry.

From Schumacher pole axing Battitson to Maradona's hand of god to Owen conning the ref for penalties not once but twice against Argentina to tonight's debacle, iffy decisions have been going on for decades.

The sad thing is that Fred's only, and I really mean only, contribution in the whole game was to fall over and single handedly change the outcome of a game that had died on its feet.

So the moral of the story is.......

One or two mistakes, fine, they're only human. But several big decisions is crap. No red card for Neymar (then he scores two), conned for the penalty, a very good shout for a peno from Luiz's challenge, then there's nothing wrong with the disallowed goal. If I was Croatia I'd feel absolutely robbed, and I'd be blaming the ref.

As it is, my wife is a quarter Brazilian, so she's happy. And I've got a wife who's quarter Brazilian, so I'm happy.

Does she have a...actually, no forget that. I may have been about to overstep the mark.

And it was an entertaining game on the whole. The Brazil penalty technically was a penalty according to the rules. However common sense tells me how the fook can a big lad like Fred fall over from minimal contact like that? Can't referee's take common sense into consideration.

Archived