absolutely devastated for yous.

Scottishguy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing to do with those two being Scottish of course? Although I have to say, with hindsight I totally agree. I seem to be in the minority amongst the group of Derby supporters I go to matches with but I'm not overly sold on Dawkins yet.

The Bryson exclusion perplexed me, it really did. 

Russell was having a decent game, shouldn't have been brought off. Although, that's hindsight talking. Dawkins is usually a good performer for us, he just had a disappointing half-hour.

Dawkins is over-rated, and predictable when confronted by opponents, 90% of the time he will bring the ball onto his right foot and try to go on the inside of the defender invariably losing  possession.    The 10% of the time he actually does something different, retains possession and beats a defender his final pass or attempt on goal invariably come to nothing.

I wouldn't have signed him never mind pay 500k for him

*The percentages shown are approximate and shown purely as an illustration. ;) .

How can Dawkins be overated, if most on here don't rate him.

People on here don't know the reasons for why Dawkins plays. It's the same people who can't understand why James Milner plays just because he doesn't go on mazy runs every five minutes.

Just because he's a winger, doesn't mean he should be judged on goals or mazy dribbles alone.

Here are a few stat comparisons as proof: (all averages per game)

Shots per game:

Ward 2.5

Dawkins 2.2

Russell 1.6

Key passes:

Ward 1.9

Dawkins 1.0

Russell 0.7

Successful dribbles per game:

Russell 1.3

Ward 1.2

Dawkins 1.1

Dispossessed:

Russell 1.8

Ward 1.7

Dawkins 1.7

Pass success rate:

Dawkins 86.5%

Ward 77.2%

Russell 72.6%

Turnovers (winning the ball back)

Dawkins 1.3

Ward 1.2

Russell 1.1

Accurate crosses:

Ward 1.7

Russell 0.7

Dawkins 0.2

Direct goals/assists per starts:

Ward 0.38

Russell 0.38

Dawkins 0.3

So there you go... Statistically (this could mean rubbish to some guys as there are so many other factors involved) but....

Ward appears the most direct, more shots, key passes, crosses etc.

Dawkins is the best at keeping the ball/passing and defensively

Russell loses the ball more often than the other two but perhaps he 'gambles' more with dribbles. He beats Dawkins in goal ratio

I honestly think Simon Dawkins is a valuable member of our squad, but his role (and Steve McClaren will know this) isn't one that is likely to be full of goals. He's the perfect player to hold onto possession and defend (perhaps better away from home).

McClaren's biggest mistake at Wembley was simply thrusting Dawkins on at 0-0 instead of Bamford. If we were winning 1-0, Dawkins would have been the best player to bring on in that situation.

No no nothing to do with them being Scottish. I just feel Bryson is probably your best player & Russell contributes more than Dawkins. Hendrick the Irish guy looks class too.

What did you think of Martin in the Scotland side this evening? haha

The boy has insane hold-up play.

People on here don't know the reasons for why Dawkins plays. It's the same people who can't understand why James Milner plays just because he doesn't go on mazy runs every five minutes.

Just because he's a winger, doesn't mean he should be judged on goals or mazy dribbles alone.

Here are a few stat comparisons as proof: (all averages per game)

Shots per game:

Ward 2.5

Dawkins 2.2

Russell 1.6

Key passes:

Ward 1.9

Dawkins 1.0

Russell 0.7

Successful dribbles per game:

Russell 1.3

Ward 1.2

Dawkins 1.1

Dispossessed:

Russell 1.8

Ward 1.7

Dawkins 1.7

Pass success rate:

Dawkins 86.5%

Ward 77.2%

Russell 72.6%

Turnovers (winning the ball back)

Dawkins 1.3

Ward 1.2

Russell 1.1

Accurate crosses:

Ward 1.7

Russell 0.7

Dawkins 0.2

Ward 0.38

Russell 0.38

Dawkins 0.3

So there you go... Statistically (this could mean rubbish to some guys as there are so many other factors involved) but....

Ward appears the most direct, more shots, key passes, crosses etc.

Dawkins is the best at keeping the ball/passing and defensively

Russell loses the ball more often than the other two but perhaps he 'gambles' more with dribbles. He beats Dawkins in goal ratio

I honestly think Simon Dawkins is a valuable member of our squad, but his role (and Steve McClaren will know this) isn't one that is likely to be full of goals. He's the perfect player to hold onto possession and defend (perhaps better away from home).

McClaren's biggest mistake at Wembley was simply thrusting Dawkins on at 0-0 instead of Bamford. If we were winning 1-0, Dawkins would have been the best player to bring on in that situation.

Yet ironically, he defend's worse than Russell does IMO. Good squad player, if he added a few more goals, which I think he can do, will prove me and many other wrong.

What did you think of Martin in the Scotland side this evening? haha

The boy has insane hold-up play.

My new favourite player! Every touch he made I was like **** Rhodes this guys better & he's at least half Scottish aha. Thought Andrew Robertson was our best player though. He's basically our version of luke shaw.

Accurate crosses:

Ward 1.7

Russell 0.7

Dawkins 0.2

Ward 0.38

Russell 0.38

Dawkins 0.3

This sums up why it was a mistake in the circumstances.

Andrew Robertson was our best player though. He's basically our version of luke shaw.

Dundee United seem to be producing a lot of good players.....

Gauld, russell, souttar, robertson.....

Archived