absolutely devastated for yous.

Scottishguy

This sums up why it was a mistake in the circumstances.

I disagree, I think that sums up why he was brought on. We were crossing the ball high into the box all game. No wonder Dunne got MOTM, do that and he will clear 99% of them. But run at the likes of him and that causes him problems. I think Dawkins came on to inject some extra pace against some old tired legs and give him something he's not comfortable with dealing with. Just a shame it came when Russell was having his best spell and looking dangerous.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been convinced all week that Hughes and Russell would have got the breakthrough if they had stayed on.

Should have chucked Bamford on for Ward on 60mins (his perceived lack of work would not have mattered against 10 men) and saved Bryson and Dawkins in case of extra time.

Very, very frustrating... :angry:  

Water under the bridge I know but for me Bryson (and Hughes if he'd stayed on) could have been the key to unlocking their blanket defence. As soon as he came off the bench Bryson began to find small pockets of space in the penalty box. I was 100% certain we were going to do the business in extra time but then you can't anticipate 3 of our defenders cocking things up within the one move. Still can't believe what happened -stunned doesn't go anywhere near describing it!

****** - just when I thought I'd got over it!!!

I've been convinced all week that Hughes and Russell would have got the breakthrough if they had stayed on.

Should have chucked Bamford on for Ward on 60mins (his perceived lack of work would not have mattered against 10 men) and saved Bryson and Dawkins in case of extra time.

Very, very frustrating... :angry:  

This kind of stuff is incredibly easy in hindsight.

Don't let it take your time up.

People on here don't know the reasons for why Dawkins plays. It's the same people who can't understand why James Milner plays just because he doesn't go on mazy runs every five minutes.

Just because he's a winger, doesn't mean he should be judged on goals or mazy dribbles alone.

Here are a few stat comparisons as proof: (all averages per game)

Shots per game:

Ward 2.5

Dawkins 2.2

Russell 1.6

Key passes:

Ward 1.9

Dawkins 1.0

Russell 0.7

Successful dribbles per game:

Russell 1.3

Ward 1.2

Dawkins 1.1

Dispossessed:

Russell 1.8

Ward 1.7

Dawkins 1.7

Pass success rate:

Dawkins 86.5%

Ward 77.2%

Russell 72.6%

Turnovers (winning the ball back)

Dawkins 1.3

Ward 1.2

Russell 1.1

Accurate crosses:

Ward 1.7

Russell 0.7

Dawkins 0.2

Direct goals/assists per starts:

Ward 0.38

Russell 0.38

Dawkins 0.3

So there you go... Statistically (this could mean rubbish to some guys as there are so many other factors involved) but....

Ward appears the most direct, more shots, key passes, crosses etc.

Dawkins is the best at keeping the ball/passing and defensively

Russell loses the ball more often than the other two but perhaps he 'gambles' more with dribbles. He beats Dawkins in goal ratio

I honestly think Simon Dawkins is a valuable member of our squad, but his role (and Steve McClaren will know this) isn't one that is likely to be full of goals. He's the perfect player to hold onto possession and defend (perhaps better away from home).

McClaren's biggest mistake at Wembley was simply thrusting Dawkins on at 0-0 instead of Bamford. If we were winning 1-0, Dawkins would have been the best player to bring on in that situation.

Just shows you can prove owt wi figures!

The fact is we played em off the pitch and gave em a consolation goal in the last minute.

Trouble was we forgot to score in the other 89.

Simples.  :p

Dundee United seem to be producing a lot of good players.....

Gauld, russell, souttar, robertson.....

They are really well known in Scotland for it. Most of us up here think the young talent go down south too early with the exception of Ryan Fraser at Bournemouth & Stefan scougall at Sheffield united. Players like goodwillie & Scott Allan had the talent just weren't ready for England.

Archived