Possession debate about play-offs (split from match thread)

Ambitious

I've given up explaining, as I've clearly found someone as stubborn as myself.

One incident I was left bemused by though was when Jonny Russell was in on goal at an angle. Why did he try and lay it across first-time? Could have easily just took it closer to goal and had an effort himself - and probbaly would have scored.

Was such a good opportunity at the time completely wasted.

Is that really your answer to my question?' I've given up explaining'

Nice way to cover up your blunder.

Please Bris, humour me. 

At one point did we 'rip Brighton to shreds'?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was obvious that we didn't try too hard to chase them down in the second half, although i

also noticed the difference when Dawkins was on the pitch - we suddenly started getting more of the game

in their half, and looked as if we had suddenly decided we could kill the game off with a third goal. Which,

unluckily we didn't get.

Is that really your answer to my question?' I've given up explaining'

Nice way to cover up your blunder.

Please Bris, humour me. 

At one point did we 'rip Brighton to shreds'?

I was referring to RamNut's posts... Not yours, I'll always have time for you buddy  :wub:

We ripped Brighton's defence to shreds on the counter with our quick passing. i've never seen a team break with so much speed as that at this level. Poor final decisions, a cynical foul or a last ditch challenge prevented us from scoring at least another three goals.

I was referring to RamNut's posts... Not yours, I'll always have time for you buddy :wub:

We ripped Brighton's defence to shreds on the counter with our quick passing. i've never seen a team break with so much speed as that at this level. Poor final decisions, a cynical foul or a last ditch challenge prevented us from scoring at least another three goals.

I do believe that's a pretty fair answer MC!

I thought we had another 3 decent chances as well as the goals:-

1 - Where Russell tried a first time cross that got cut out

2 - Where Hendrick didn't gamble on a Martin cross

3- Where Ward cross/shot hit Kusczak and ended up in side netting

I think creating 3 good chances like that was respectable considering most of the time we crossed the halfway line ended up with our player being scythed down.

How on earth did Upson not get cautioned for the penalty yet Ward got cautioned for a shoulder barge 49 yards from goal on the toichline?

I thought we had another 3 decent chances as well as the goals:-

1 - Where Russell tried a first time cross that got cut out

2 - Where Hendrick didn't gamble on a Martin cross

3- Where Ward cross/shot hit Kusczak and ended up in side netting

I think creating 3 good chances like that was respectable considering most of the time we crossed the halfway line ended up with our player being scythed down.

How on earth did Upson not get cautioned for the penalty yet Ward got cautioned for a shoulder barge 49 yards from goal on the toichline?

Agree with caution for Upson challenge. But doesn't matter where Wardy committed the foul, even though it was harsh in my eyes. Apologies to be pedantic. Got my ref head on!

I do believe that's a pretty fair answer MC!

I didn't say it wasn't.

I just don't agree.

What I consider 'ripping a team to shreds' and what Bris (and you) clearly differs.

We had one shot on target and we ripped them to shreds. :lol:

Hmmm...

I didn't say it wasn't. I just don't agree. What I consider 'ripping a team to shreds' and what Bris (and you) clearly differs. We had one shot on target and we ripped them to shreds. :lol: Hmmm...

The fact that they resorted to constant fouling when we broke probably shows how worried we had them when we broke.

I didn't say it wasn't.

I just don't agree.

What I consider 'ripping a team to shreds' and what Bris (and you) clearly differs.

Hmmm...

So what would you call ripping to shreds?

Derby had something like 30 odd shots against Yeovil tey we didn't rip them to shreds as the majority were speculative long-rangers.

Brighton's defence was in pure panic mode and they resorted to fouling as they found little other ways of stopping us from getting behind them.

Why do people keep harping on about the one shot on target? Since when has shots on goal been the parameter for how well a team has done?

Anyone watching that game would have been impressed with our counterattacking play, and I've read multiple reports and opinions backing that up.

I didn't say it wasn't.

I just don't agree.

Hmmm...

What G Star said.... Hmmm.... ;)

Agree with caution for Upson challenge. But doesn't matter where Wardy committed the foul, even though it was harsh in my eyes. Apologies to be pedantic. Got my ref head on!

Would agree if it was a malicious foul but how can a nothingness collision be deemed more of a cautionable offence than an ankle high challenge 12 yards from goal?!

I thought it was obvious that we didn't try too hard to chase them down in the second half, although i

also noticed the difference when Dawkins was on the pitch - we suddenly started getting more of the game

in their half, and looked as if we had suddenly decided we could kill the game off with a third goal. Which,

unluckily we didn't get.

Agree with the Dawkins point, the lack of possession first half seemed to come from the best midfield in the championship just not turning up. With the mid-field not holding the ball and bossing Brighton we kept inviting them back onto us.  This led to longer balls from Grant to relieve the pressure. The long ball seldom results in retained possession. Dawkins has enough skill to challenge as well as pass and move.  I know Thorne is good, but I think Eustace would have been a good start given his experience against the Brighton game plan.

Would agree if it was a malicious foul but how can a nothingness collision be deemed more of a cautionable offence than an ankle high challenge 12 yards from goal?!

That's up to what the referee thinks unfortunately.... Whether we think it's right or wrong. Agree entirely what you say regarding both fouls

Thought Brighton build up at a slower tempo was good, and generally at the heart of their better chances. Countering non existent from what I remember, and a number of times they have one body in the box when a cross was delivered. 

Giving up a bit of possession is fine (and is maybe preferable when you brand yourself as a counter attacking team) as long as everyone is switched on/knows their role in the defensive third and quick to close. I am not sure we did this all too well from the off on Thursday which reminded me of the pumping at Leicester earlier this year. 

So what would you call ripping to shreds?

Derby had something like 30 odd shots against Yeovil tey we didn't rip them to shreds as the majority were speculative long-rangers.

Brighton's defence was in pure panic mode and they resorted to fouling as they found little other ways of stopping us from getting behind them.

Why do people keep harping on about the one shot on target? Since when has shots on goal been the parameter for how well a team has done?

Anyone watching that game would have been impressed with our counterattacking play, and I've read multiple reports and opinions backing that up.

I would call ripping to shreds putting in a dominant performance. 

We were not even close to being the dominant side against Brighton. Not even close.

I was impressed by our counter attacking play in the first half. I thought in the second half, we stopped counter attacking and decided to simply protect what we had. 

If we had won 12-0 and they didn't have a look in then we would have ripped them to shreds. 

Classic.

I would call ripping to shreds putting in a dominant performance.

We were not even close to being the dominant side against Brighton. Not even close.

I was impressed by our counter attacking play in the first half. I thought in the second half, we stopped counter attacking and decided to simply protect what we had.

If we had won 12-0 and they didn't have a look in then we would have ripped them to shreds.

Did you expect to dominate Brighton? We aren't THAT good. They'd boss some PL sides in possession at home

Their pressing was impressive and forced us into faster attacks from deeper positions. The counter attacking game was forced on us to a certain extent. And it suited us. You know how quickly McClaren wants us to pass it in the opponents half.

Brighton are a possession side at home. They lacked penetration and played infront of us. Better than Forest did, but almost an identical tactical encounter.

I do agree with you to a certain extent.

We weren't good enough on the ball. We were sloppy so often and who wants to see that. No need to actually give them more of the ball. And we gave them a bit too much ground. Perhaps the occasion affected us. That was evident in the first half anyway and might explain why we did settle for the 2-1 after an hour.

Ignoring the actual statistic percentage of possession, we do need to keep the ball much better tonight. We did it in the last 10 minutes of Thursday and saw out the game comfortably. The 20 minutes before that was a different story.

There's allowing the opposition to have the ball where we want them and then there's mindless punts over Chris Martins head again and again and again... We need to be streetwise.

COYR.

Archived