Brighton

Looked pretty full at 3-0 down vs liverpool, not backing palace, just saying. Is it really that hard to get away from Amex on a night kick off that you'd rather miss 10 mins of the most vital match of the season? Not having a pop, just interested to know? Like everything your club does to make away fans welcome, wish more clubs, including my own would do the same

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked pretty full at 3-0 down vs liverpool, not backing palace, just saying. Is it really that hard to get away from Amex on a night kick off that you'd rather miss 10 mins of the most vital match of the season? Not having a pop, just interested to know? Like everything your club does to make away fans welcome, wish more clubs, including my own would do the same

Yeah against Liverpool Selhurst will be full because half the crowd are Liverpool fans or day trippers. Ask where they were for say Bristol City in the Championship and why they had to sell two for one tickets to get 14000 through the door in the Championship. Yeah we know that palace think they are great because they bang a drum, do pretty displays and shout whooa whooa. Brighton are a bit more old school than that. The wouldnt have had a hope in hell of surviving the bottom league ground sharing at Gillingham. Its taken decades but Brighton are back and again in the top 10/11 best supported clubs in the country, they know it and they hate it.Yes the Amex is right out at the universities. The train station is small and midweek games are a particular problem as the train companies dont run special trains. Try and get 28000 out of there and thats why peop,e leave early. The same happens at Wembley for England games for the same reason.

As a side note, why the hatred for palace? Are they your closest rivals, or is there some historical reason? Sorry if that sounds a stupid question!

Its not geography in the same way the Leeds or Liverpool / Man U isn't geography. To be fair to palace, in the 70s they actually had a decent support to rival ours. Brighton have been a lower league side with big support and palace at the time were also. In those days we slugged it out from third to first division, a cup re re re replay at stamford bridge where we had a penalty re taken. World War 3 started of the pitch and never stopped since. Some tho say it goes back further as gates for the clubs when playing each other through the years have been high when playing each other. Its one of those rivalries. It used to be pure venom, with palace fans attacked with CS gas and the works when someone strangely arranged a pre season "friendly"! The police have it under control now tho.  

We have it easy, just hate the red dogs at the other end of the road, with their massive sense of entitlement for 3 seasons of success in 150 years. All the best in future, not this season obviously, but good to see a club go to the brink and pull itself back, with you support obvious you'll end up in prem soon enough.

We have it easy, just hate the red dogs at the other end of the road, with their massive sense of entitlement for 3 seasons of success in 150 years. All the best in future, not this season obviously, but good to see a club go to the brink and pull itself back, with you support obvious you'll end up in prem soon enough.

Cheers all the best. Big regret is not making it to the Baseball ground as I liked to get to the old grounds (hudderfield Leeds Road a great example). Went to your new place a few year ago. Good ground but I bet that as I miss the Goldstone you miss the Baseball Ground. Brighton are back and if when the goalposts were being torn down in that game against York all those years ago someone has said we would have a ground again then id have taken that. The league we play in is really not that important.

Brighton fan here. Good away performance from you but still trying to work out what was worse, our challenge for your penalty or the ref who missed two if not three penalties.

As for the palace fan (or the drummer boys as they are known for their love of banging drums at games) rant well lets look at the facts:-

1. Brighton have a major trophy (Charity Shield a long way ago). Palace have nothing oh sory the auto windscreen Zenith Cup or something, bit no proper trophy and unlike us never been Champions of England.

2. Fans. Well palace fans choose to take drums to football, have kiddies dressed in black called Ultras, they need premier league football to double heir gates (what was it in the championship, 14000 gates with giving away tickets and two for one deals). As fans they love to prance around to goal music and choose to bang drums like a Reading or some such club. With this backdrop they latch onto a marketing gimick not asked for by the fans but the fans at palace choose to bang a drum.

3. Would palace have survived as a club if they had lost a ground and placed 140 mile round trip to finish second from bottom of football league? Not a snowball chance in hell, they dont even turn up at selhurst when in the championship unless they are getting n for free. As for Withdean remarkably it was sold out for 3 or so seasons in when in the lowest leagues and the thousands that travelled 140 mile round trip to Gillingham whilst finishing second from bottom of the football league is proper support. They just wouldnt have done because palace doesnt have a regional identity like Brighton. The Albion is an institution for Sussex, palace are mostly ignored by most of Surrey/Kent and Croydon.

4. Protests. Palace idea of a protest is 30 or 40 spotty teenagers getting laughed out of the City of London. Brighton's? Well just do a google search of Brighon v York City

5. As Mullery said. Palace? Not worth a fiver. They eventually followed us to Wembley a few years later and have paid for teams by paying for players that led for two administrations to keep them in higher divisions than a  club with their small support should command but really they are scared of having a proper club as a rival but for us, its difficult to take seriously a club who needs the premier league to get people to turn up.

If anyone has ever been bored enough to read Brighton's forum(I have), this certain "fan" is called working class pride. Who openly admits to not watching Brighton but does admit to the odd day out at Stamford bridge, so basically a typical Brighton fan.

Anyway enough of the tit for tat nonsense, well done today and good luck Sunday. If the worst happens it will be a sad day to have that bunch of nobodies in the top league.

As for the 1910 charity shield lol keep ERM boasting

How has upson made over 20 appearances for England?! His challenge was the worst tackle I've ever seen! Forsyth was running into traffic and he took him out needlessly. Would be furious if I was OG

Heard he played injured but still it aws very poor and mistimed tackle. I was very suprised it was him... (yeah, I do rate him) He was voted their player of the season, so propably had good season otherwise.

One mistake can and do change these games.

I will not spend ages to respond to the Palace Muppet without a brain, or facts by the way, think he has made a few errors, but like his team with 2 admins, joke chairmen, crumbling mess of a ground, they only remember things that are in their favour. As my old History master told me, 'History is often quoted by people who have no future' . PooGate, you are so wrong mate. Love to put up the truth, but your club would look even lower than your 'willy' display last week, which the twitter world is still laughing at (no not just us BHA fans)

Right sorry Derby to infest your board with our rivalry, but sometimes we have to respond with some truths.

Last night, what can I say, firstly great fans, if any of you lot were in the Battle of Trafalgar last night, great banter, that is what football is all about. As the for game, well you have very fast players, very negative in tactics, 1 shot on target all night, but in a funny way you deserved it, as we got it wrong. People down here are blaming the ref (well he defiantly was not a homer), but I think the game typified our season, all the play, loads of chances, but not where it mattered. We also lost it in midfield when you countered attacked us, we should have stopped you before your 2 crucial counters. Luck plays a part, and we have had no luck against you in the 3 games we have played you this year, as I really do not think you deserved to win all 3. Sunday, could be very interesting as your Boss says, we are better away from home, so although you will be massive favourites, do not take us lightly as you might be surprised. But as Mick McCarthy said, 'you finish where you deserve to finish' and you finished above us, and although we were the better side on the night, you won, pure and simple. Looking forward to Sunday and please ignore the Palace trolls, they tend to bend the truth a bit to make them look better. Ask them how their wonderful fans were early season, when they were booing their team off the park (Fulham home and I was there in Hospitality), which is a another story on how a club should not be run and the slit throat gestures to Holloway when he was walking off, yeah great fans. Anyway, best of luck, although think maybe you will not need it anymore.

Thanks for that and look forward to Sunday - but someone ought to tell Garcia to stop waving yellow cards about. Doing his best to influence the ref like that is poor imo.

Yeeess...whilst it's all fascinating stuff, can you keep yer own club issues and rivalry to your own forums please lads? Or if people from there and here want to discuss it, start a thread in Football Talk. Then everybody's happy.

Can someone explain why there is a Palace vs Brighton history lesson going on in here today?

Do any derby fans care. Fair enough if you do but seems a bit odd to me.

I think it's because there is a Palace gimp sticking his nose in here where it wasn't really called for.  There aren't Forest fans on our site wishing us luck "becos Derby r shìt and there fans are plastick".  I guess it proves the kiddy nature of their support, what with this and all their "ultra" nonsense.  Soppy spotty Nigels.

Just wanted to say that if anyone reading this is the smug c**t who turned up to watch the game at The Vines in Mickleover with earbud in listening to the Radio Derby commentary that was 10 seconds ahead, you ruined the whole first half for everyone watching!!! I hope you contract a hideous STI and die a slow and painful death. What a w**ker!!! As for the game, it was a professional job in the second half and for all their possession and crosses they didn't really stretch us...

I think it's because there is a Palace gimp sticking his nose in here where it wasn't really called for. There aren't Forest fans on our site wishing us luck "becos Derby r shìt and there fans are plastick". I guess it proves the kiddy nature of their support, what with this and all their "ultra" nonsense. Soppy spotty Nigels.

careful with the Nigel's, May get a few comments on here! ;)

Archived