Would you move from Derby if you came into a bit of money ?

petersimple

The music Sailing By is loved by many old people in this country. It gives them a short period of comfort between the usually depressing  BBC Radio 4 news at midnight and the nightly vigil of listening for noises downstairs. You would be surprised by how many old people  expect a drug crazed burglar to break in at any moment. For a minute or so Sailing By takes them back to the 1950s. When they were safer and happier.

The instrument version of Charmaine has the same effect. It is very relaxing. In cinemas in the 1960s and early 1970s you would hear it before the lights went down. Even now whenever I hear it I see myself sitting in a cinema looking around watching the place fill up.

Until a few years ago I had no idea that Ronald Binge, a Derby man, was responsible for both those pieces. Mike Carey has written a book about him but I have not read it. From what I can find on the net I can see that Binge was born in Darby Street, Normanton, a street I have walked up many times, and he died in Ringwood, Hampshire. I also know the Ringwood area quite well and I can understand why he would want to live there.  A few minutes in your car and you are in the middle of the beautiful New Forest .

It seems to me that when someone from Derby gets a bit of money or becomes famous they leave the place. Does that mean that Derby is not an attractive place to live? I must admit that I love reading about the history of Derby and I still follow the Rams but I couldn't live there again. It has changed too much for me and also there are more attractive places to live. But that is just my opinion. I have noticed that Derby players from other parts of the country like Roy McFarland, Archie Gemmill and Kevin Hector have all chosen to stay here. So that shows that some people find it an attractive place to live.

The Elizabethan Serenade  is Ronald Binge's most famous piece. To me it seems like a combination of Greensleeves and Karl Orff's Schulwerk. There's a link to it below with some nice paintings. Some people look down on this kind of music and painting and call it “kitsch” but it is just stuff that most normal people like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4XgbIhlOvk

Here's Karl Orff's Schulwerk :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOJyCG3LAHE

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya can bet everybody'd move out Nottingham put it that way.

But not Derby, it's lovely here.

Well...if you excuse Chaveston ;-)

I'd move further out into Derbyshire. I hate the city and nearest suburbs excluding Darley Abbey.

Been in Exeter today and it makes Derby look like a proper slum. It's clean, it's mixed the new with the old really well. Not like that 'quad' in Derby. Jesus, it's like ikea exploded and pieces landed in the city centre.

Allenton

Alvaston (where I live before I get called a snob)

Chaddesden

Oakwood (where everyone thinks they're posh but have moved about 20yrs too late)

Allestree where they pretend they aren't 5 minutes from slums.

Normanton

Littleover (posh sinfin)

Ideally I'd like to move from all of them. I'd call all those sideways moves. Darley abbey is nice but it's too close to the most vile city centre ever.

Derby city centre is extremely ugly. The only nice bits are dying thanks to the Westfield. The new stuff they build I think is supposed look modern and trendy just looks funny.

Forget Lincoln Cathedral. We've got a irregular shape building made from glass. Bring in the tourists!

I'd move further out into Derbyshire. I hate the city and nearest suburbs excluding Darley Abbey.

Been in Exeter today and it makes Derby look like a proper slum. It's clean, it's mixed the new with the old really well. Not like that 'quad' in Derby. Jesus, it's like ikea exploded and pieces landed in the city centre.

Allenton

Alvaston (where I live before I get called a snob)

Chaddesden

Oakwood (where everyone thinks they're posh but have moved about 20yrs too late)

Allestree where they pretend they aren't 5 minutes from slums.

Normanton

Littleover (posh sinfin)

Ideally I'd like to move from all of them. I'd call all those sideways moves. Darley abbey is nice but it's too close to the most vile city centre ever.

Derby city centre is extremely ugly. The only nice bits are dying thanks to the Westfield. The new stuff they build I think is supposed look modern and trendy just looks funny.

Forget Lincoln Cathedral. We've got a irregular shape building made from glass. Bring in the tourists!

But you lav iiiiiitttt

I saw the pits of Derby when i had to visit slums to try and help folk with their benefits 40 years ago. 

I also used to take a lady home to a posh area where she lived in the same close as Roger Davies.

I enjoyed the Locarno and went out for a time with a Chaddesden girl.

I used to see Cloughie driving home in his Merc each afternoon and often used to see the Derby players around Osmaston. 

Happy days among great folk.

Times change and I am happily living 3 miles from Birmingham bullring.

I still love Derbyshire and its people. I support the most interesting football team of all. Rams, who else?.

Has money affected where I live? No.

The blessing. " May you live as long as you want to, and want to as long as you live." holds true.

Derby is fine, but where you live is a matter of circumstance. HOW you live is the key!

If I was really rich I'd move to somewhere like New York, because they love an English accent over there. It might be my only chance...

You used to have apply to live in NY, even if you're minted Madonna, who was turned down. Think it's changed since though.

Times change and I am happily living 3 miles from Birmingham bullring.

I still love Derbyshire and its people. I support the most interesting football team of all. Rams, who else?.

Has money affected where I live? No.

The blessing. " May you live as long as you want to, and want to as long as you live." holds true.

Derby is fine, but where you live is a matter of circumstance. HOW you live is the key!

I find it hard to understand how anyone can be happy living only 3 miles from Birmingham Bullring. Most people would need to be at least 20 miles away from Birmingham before they started feeling comfortable. For some reason which I have now forgotten I used to walk from New Street station to a place in Sparkhill. I sometimes blame that long walk down the Stratford Road for my bleak outlook on life. Several people have told me that Birmingham's endless drab urban sprawl has made them feel ill. You seem to be using philosophy to put up with the depressing environment.  I don't think many people are capable of that.

I wonder where you found the Derby slums you mentioned. It's a while since I had a good wander around the place but I didn't notice any slums. There used to be some terraced houses off London Road in Wilmorton which were not looked after, but most of the houses in Derby seemed in a good condition. All those houses around Abbey Street and the ones near the DRI that they knocked down were good enough to be still standing today. Some people complain about Hartington Street but that street contains some of the best houses in Derby. If Hartington Street was in London those houses would be fetching at least £2 million each.

It seems to me that when someone from Derby gets a bit of money or becomes famous they leave the place. Does that mean that Derby is not an attractive place to live? I must admit that I love reading about the history of Derby and I still follow the Rams but I couldn't live there again.

I refuse to enter this thread until you tell us where you moved to.

I refuse to enter this thread until you tell us where you moved to.

Rural Somerset. Nice views and not much crime. A trip out for a good pub meal involves a 15 or 20 minute drive but the roads are so quiet that I will often not see a single car on my return trip.

Archived