Best "could have been" Rams player

TomBustler1884

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wasnt frank fielding supposed to be a future england hotspot...

Only to the extent that Campy and Grant were.

Then of course Campy remembered that his grandad once had a pint of Guinness, so became a Norn Iron international. 

Some great names on here from the past.

Of recent times, I think the biggest missed opportunity was Miles Addison who could have become a dominant midfielder for us in the Yaya Toure mould, but when Clough occasionally played him it was in defence. Because he was such a good fottballer he was able to perform as an OK centrehalf, but it was always out of position. A bit like Jossy who was an incredibly cultured England U21 midfielder (I think he scored 16 goals from midfield the final season we played him there), and then he got converted into a clogging centrehalf.

In *that* season, I remember watching the 6-1 humilation away at Chelsea (4 for Lampard?). The only player we had on the field who was able to match them, who they were concerned about, was Ghaly, so Jewell substituted him! He hardly ever seemed to play.

Have I watched the same miles Addison, such a good footballer? He did ok in midfield under Jewell as a stopper but when the ball at his feet he was very limited. He has spent just about all his professional career as a centre half for a reason.

He was excellent when he first came here on loan, but faded horribly.

I put that down to the coaching staff. Look at Granty, the change since Steele came back is amazing. If Frankie had these coaches i believe he would of been a far far better player.

Where is he now, by the way???

Jimmy Greaves and Bobby Moore.

Brian Clough was desperate to sign them both.

You could add John Haynes to that illustrious duo,eddie.I often wondered what would have happened if those 3 had come off.

Always remember when Graham Cross snubbed us and BC said he wouldn't take him if he crawled all the way from Leicester.What I can't remember is when in our development this approach failed.Of course,he was also a known admirer of Charlie and would no doubt have eventually got his man had he stayed. 

I always thought if Tom had the heart of someone like Jake Buxton he'd be world class, captain of England, 50 caps under his belt,  and we'd be favourites to win the World Cup.

Always thought that whenever he had a shot for us he never expected to score-something about the lack of proper follow through.

I think it was curtains who recently said that Will doesn't score as many as Tom.Well,Will's certainly scored more in a Derby shirt than Tom ever did,and at a similar stage of development.

Archived