Last week and couldn't put it down great read , it's good to hear

His side of the Clough saga all though I new Sam we'll and he

Used to take me sometimes to watch the rams I was surprised

At wot really went on ,he gave BRIAN and Peter great support

A must read for all rams fans

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I purchased a copy of the book just after Christmas, started reading it (I only got as far as Sam's early life), was distracted by other books and have not picked it up since.

I'm away on holiday next week so I'll take it with me, finish reading it and let you know what I think.

As a teenager growing up during those turbulent times I still to this day hold Sam Longson responsible for the fact that the Reg Dogs have two stars on their shirts and we have none and I'm afraid that SAM'S (side of the) STOREY is going to have be very good to persuade me otherwise!

I purchased a copy of the book just after Christmas, started reading it (I only got as far as Sam's early life), was distracted by other books and have not picked it up since.

I'm away on holiday next week so I'll take it with me, finish reading it and let you know what I think.

As a teenager growing up during those turbulent times I still to this day hold Sam Longson responsible for the fact that the Reg Dogs have two stars on their shirts and we have none and I'm afraid that SAM'S (side of the) STOREY is going to have be very good to persuade me otherwise!

Nice Avatar you got there mate.  Where did it come from? :)

NG2RAM I hope you enjoy your book and holiday lets see wot you think after

You read the book , we all have opinions which is good ,I now Sam put a lot

Of money in and I am sure he never asked for a penny back , he loved our club

Just like us , I no wot you mean about the split but there are always two sides

I was very much around at the time in question,and was as angry as anyone about Brian's departure.However,in the interest of balance (and much as it grieves me to say it),Brian wouldn't have been here in the first place without Sam's input,and we'd probably never have won 2 titles.

It's a shame that a relationship which saw Sam regard Brian almost as a son should sour so much.I blame the other club chairmen and those wretched blazers,who all gave Sam a hard time,almost as much as I blame Sam (and maybe Brian could have curbed his outspoken instincts a little to ease the pressure on his chairman?).

I'll be interested to read this book too. Although I grew up being told Longson was the villain of the piece, it can't be denied that he gave Cloughie & Peter Taylor the platform to work their magic & backed them financially (breaking national transfer record for Nish etc)

It must also have been difficult for Longson to deal with Cloughie as a TV personality in the early 70's - particularly with the FA & other club chairmen permanently on his case. A couple of folk here mention about our loss being Forest's gain - it would appear that Brian had curbed his TV work by the late 70's & maybe some of his bombastic nature had been blunted by his spells at Brighton & Leeds. He had a point to prove again.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that its difficult to compare Clough at Derby in 1973 with Clough at Forest in 1979 - no point torturing ourselves about the European Cups. You older guys have those memories & those 2 league titles to remember - feel sorry for us younger ones instead ;)

Archived