Help buying a laptop?

Alph

Anyone here help me out?

We're after a laptop and the budget is £650ish.

Now I'm not shy about gaming so i want something that can work well. However I know the price of gaming laptops and I'm not really interested in paying £1,500 so I can see Lionel Messi's stubble. I just want something that can run sensibly.

Now I'm a bit dumb with technology so don't laugh if this is wrong but I've been looking for high RAM, memory, about 2.4(and above) Ghz, and a dedicated graphics card. I know I'm not going to hit all the right spots with that budget.

I found a HP Envy or something for £900 which has the lot which we are considering stretching to but if I can save £300 and find something that's right up there.

Basically I don't know what specs are important. Should I worry about the Ghz? Will an integrated graphics card be fine? Is quad core more important to have than anything.

I don't know anything about technology so if someone can point me towards a laptop and say that will do the usual shizzle and run your games smoothly if not totally spectacularly then I'd really appreciate it.

I'm fed up Xbox games. All shooters.

And the ipad hardly does bugger all other than browse internet.

Our laptop is retired.

Cheers.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could try this site. I bought one direct from Sony,it has the benefit of being able to specify what you want (back-lit keyboard for an extra £10 is snappy), and what you don't want.

You might even qualify for interest free credit with Sony. I think mine was made ( to spec) in Germany and arrived in about a week. Cost about £650.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/vaio-computers/t/vaio-computers

You want as a high a GHz as you can afford - no point having a fancy graphics card and loads of RAM if your processor falls over every time you open a new program.

If you want something for gaming, you'll need at least 2.0ghz.

And don't go for a mac, as you're seriously limited to what you can play. That, and you can spend half as much and get the same specs.

Ignore him ^^

Buy a Mac and a PS4. Buying a laptop for gaming is just daft, so is buying a PC.

PC is the Master Race for gaming. 

Seriously. I have a Mac for work. It cost the boss £2500 - and I can build something to a very similar spec for about a quarter of that price. Granted it won't look as nice, but you can at least attempt to repair it yourself. 

"http://www.digdang.com/media/images/mac_vs_pc_4904" alt="mac_vs_pc_4904">

Archived