Sign them Up?

Sharp_Ram

Over the last few seasons under Clough Junior Derby have integrated players into the squad early by bringing them in on loan in January or on emergency loan (93 days), these players or a majority of them have then been permanently signed and already have feel for the area and know their team mates, they have had time to gel and form partnerships. Successful examples of this still in the frame at Derby would be Jamie Ward, Craig Forsyth, Chris Martin, Simon Dawkins.

Derby currently have Andre Wisdom, Zak Whitbread, George Thorne and Patrick Bamford on loan to the end of the season (Play-offs included confirmed in Derby Telegraph) all of whom have made or will make a large contribution to our promotion push.

With end of the Season fast approaching will we again be hearing chants of 'sign him up for any of our loan stars or will they be over shadowed by promotion glory.

Current situations with player at parent clubs:

• Andre Wisdom- Andre has been a rock a in the back line and has more than filled the void left by dream chaser John Brayford who looks to be in the frame for a move to Sheffield. Andre has predominantly featured in the fullback position for Liverpool when called upon and again challenging for major honors the draw for big name players moving to the merseyside reds will most likely return, not to mention current group of defenders occupying the back line with Glen Johnson Jose Enrique Jon Flanagan among other. Wisdon may need to seek a move away to realize ambitions to play for the national team and play every week.
  • Zak Whitbread- Zak isalmost completely out of the first team picture at likely league champions Leicester City and will most likely be sold or released at the end of the season. Zak has shown that he is capable at this level, however he was bought in as cover for a suspended Richard Keogh and while he performed well in his absence he would not get into a fully fit Derby side, he will most likely be picked up by a mid-table champ side.
  • George Thorne- George recently signed a contract extension with West Brom and after seeing him against forest and Charlton Athletic i can understand why, the guy has potential and and already has the ability the compete at the high end of the championship. West Brom are currently scrapping at the wrong end of the Prem and new manager Pepe Mel has not has the desired affect since coming in, will they be relegated? i don't know but i think that Mel will try and attract more Spanish based players rather than home grown academy stars such as Thorne. I believe a sizable bid would be enough to pry him away.
  • Patrick Bamford- Bamford frustrate me a lot, on one hand you have 7 goals in 15 appearances around 9 starts and on the other you have someone who lacks the presence on the pitch in other areas of his game sure that will come with experience but he may not be hear again. Chelsea as everyone can see have an issue with strikers Torres is a strange one he should be hitting his peak but after several injuries just cant seek to hack anymore, in Eto'os case he seems to have gained enough fitness to supply a steady flow of goals but not enough to push Chelsea onto the title Mourinho will most likely look else were for additional fire power in the summer and patrick may well be left in the shadows and loaned out for several years season after season like Josh McEachran. I don't think there will be any shortage of loan offers for young Bamford would he be able to cut it in the Prem should we reach the promised land and would he return on loan to the championship should we fail.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wisdom will be available, although I fancy a Premier League side to snap him up. Ala Cardiff.

Bamford won't be available, unless of course a huge bid was made. And even then I don't think he would leave.

Thorne may be available if West Brom stay up. Although, if we switch leagues with West Brom and still want him, I think we could nab him.

Whitbread will be available, but I don't think we'll be interested.

I can't see Wisdom breaking in to the Liverpool team, in front of Johnson and Flanagan cementing themselves there, so I think he could be available. If he were to go, I'd like to think we'd be in pole position for him, irrespective of league.

Chelsea have already indicated Bamford won't be going anywhere permanently. If we stay where we are, a season long loan for sure. If we do go up, I don't think he's quite ready to be starting week in week out - which is what both Patrick and Chelsea will be looking for - so I think he will go to a Championship team challenging for promotion.

Thorne.. may be available... IIRC, his contract extension was under Steve Clarke? Depends on what the new regime think of him - if they've even seen him play - and on where WBA will end up, if they drop down, they might fight harder to keep him.  Due to that extension, that fee might well be a hefty one, and if we don't go up, think it might prove too much. Another season long loan, maybe, but either way, I'd like to see him sign for us, irrespective of league.

Whitbread. Decent player at this level (when fit), and with Leicester's promotion all but sealed, he won't stay there. If he has the patience to sit on the bench for one of Bucko/Keogh to be injured/suspended like this season, he'll make a good cover signing. Not interested in him if we go up though. 

Does Bamford really think he'll get into the first team at Chelsea?

Snapped up as a youngster by a top Prem team whose only interest is in buying up the promising talent to stop other teams getting it- rather than having any intention to ever use that talent.

Don't forget they loaned him to MK Dons first - so that shows where they were pitching his level. Stepped up to us in teh Champ and still scoring but it's also exposing his weaknesses a lot more

Plus...he's a local lad - I wouldn't be at all suprised if this one pans out a little differently to how we expect

Wisdom will be available, although I fancy a Premier League side to snap him up. Ala Cardiff.

Bamford won't be available, unless of course a huge bid was made. And even then I don't think he would leave.

Thorne may be available if West Brom stay up. Although, if we switch leagues with West Brom and still want him, I think we could nab him.

Whitbread will be available, but I don't think we'll be interested.

Won't be a Premier league side by then. I'd recommend we go all out to get him next year, put him at CB. I'd leave Bamford, doesn't really fit in our side anyway.

I can't see Wisdom being available for a permanent transfer. Rogers rates him highly. He was very much in their squad at the start of the season and was ahead of Flanagan. If it wasn't for him leaving (we presume its either to do with playing every week or a certain blonde haired chap) he may even be playing right now.. I think he'll leave on loan again next year, and will probably step up to a prem loan. The lad is classy, will be a very good player in years to come.

Bamford, again, a loan to the prem I feel, or I've perhaps Ajax (saw it in the paper),

Thorne. I think if West Brom were relegated and we stayed in the championship he'd probably stay with Albion and feature. If we were to go up then I see no reason why. He was given the extension by Clarke, so Mel may have different ideas and may want to raise funds. Either way, I'd feel we'd need to be promoted.

Whitbread will be released and he's there if we want him, providing he doesn't mind being cover.

Morinho has said the reason Chelsea bought loads of youngsters is to sell to help them meet FFP. Bamford could be available.

You've said it there yourself. Even if he is available, he would cost a lot of money.

Brought for £1.5m, they would want around £5m.

Let's not forget Spurs are reportedly interest. Nevertheless, if he isn't a Chelsea player next season (by contract) then I'll be stunned.

His situation here is similar to Barkley at Leeds last season, frustrating but showed glimpses. He has a career at Chelsea, if he works hard enough, in my opinion. 

Archived