Derby County in colour 1966

petersimple

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know which game it was? There are a few clues : blue shirts, Ian Buxton, Phil Waller (I think), Gordon Hughes, Ron Webster, Alan Durban, Eddie Thomas (I think), lots of spaces (c14k), cricket season, etc. This is the earliest colour film of Derby County I have seen.

Watching this while listening to nice bit of chillout like the following puts me in a very sentimental mood :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnljpGST5w8

The cricket game was probably against the West Indies (28th May 1966). You can see a few excited West Indians on the boundary and the ground is packed to see Sobers & Co.

In 1966 we played Portsmouth on Boxing Day and I don't think that looks like a Boxing Day crowd.

I think the game might have been Derby v Preston 1-0 (30 April 1966). The attendance was 11,188 which looks about right. Change kit for Preston.

The team was Reg Matthews, Ron Webster, Peter Daniel, Bobby Saxton, John Richardson, Alan Durban, Phil Waller, Gordon Hughes, Eddie Thomas, Billy Hodgson, Ian Buxton

I might be wrong but that is my guess.

i'd have been 11 when that was filmed , love looking at the old cars . A couple of months before

we win the World Cup , 1966 was about the time when i started to take an interest in football , for obvious reasons..

Good vid , thanks for posting ..

:)

The cricket game was probably against the West Indies (28th May 1966). You can see a few excited West Indians on the boundary and the ground is packed to see Sobers & Co.

In 1966 we played Portsmouth on Boxing Day and I don't think that looks like a Boxing Day crowd.

I think the game might have been Derby v Preston 1-0 (30 April 1966). The attendance was 11,188 which looks about right. Change kit for Preston.

The team was Reg Matthews, Ron Webster, Peter Daniel, Bobby Saxton, John Richardson, Alan Durban, Phil Waller, Gordon Hughes, Eddie Thomas, Billy Hodgson, Ian Buxton

I might be wrong but that is my guess.

I was wondering about that Petersimple, but the pitch looked too good for an April match. It would have been most of the way through the season and with less grass. Certainly the right era though. Could the opposition have been leicester, or were they in another Division then?

I was wondering about that Petersimple, but the pitch looked too good for an April match. It would have been most of the way through the season and with less grass. Certainly the right era though. Could the opposition have been leicester, or were they in another Division then?

The kit looks like Leicester's but they were in the first division then.

I think three of those players are still working in football. Bobby Saxton, Alan Durban and Phil Waller are, as far as I know, working as scouts, albeit part-time ones. I find that very impressive.

The kit looks like Leicester's but they were in the first division then.

I think three of those players are still working in football. Bobby Saxton, Alan Durban and Phil Waller are, as far as I know, working as scouts, albeit part-time ones. I find that very impressive.

We did play Leicester in a friendly early that season (66-67), but I think it was a night match

Fantastic film from 1966 I would have been 4 :) Interesting to see the old Baseball Ground before the Ley stand was built. Could we have been playing Everton? 

Curious to see cars on St Peters St and the Market Place as well. Remember the wooden escalators in the old Boots.Pity not many people have the time nowadays but would it not be interesting to a 2014 video of the same locations to see how they have changed

seen this before and feel the same still after watching again. Who allowed such a beautiful city, with all it's character get ruined so easily.

I know the city was being managed by a bloke from Leicester in the mid-70s who allowed so many amazing buildings to be demolished.

I've just been on a Preston site and they have confirmed it is, indeed, Preston North End.

http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthread.php?85644-Is-this-Preston-in-this-colour-film-from-1966

If it is then the state of the pitch - reasonable - would suggest a match earlier in the season than later. That might mean that it is the 5-1 Rams win in the October of 1966, as one of the PNE guys said.

If it is then the state of the pitch - reasonable - would suggest a match earlier in the season than later. That might mean that it is the 5-1 Rams win in the October of 1966, as one of the PNE guys said.

You might be right Ilkleyram. Hector was in the 5-1 game instead of Durban and now I think I can see Hector and I am not sure if I can see Durban. I was at that game but for some reason I can't remember anything about it. I saw every home game that season.

I am puzzled by the empty spaces at the Osmaston and Normanton ends. The attendance for the October game was 18,703 - there was a big increase after we signed Hector - and the ground doesn't look crowded enough.

My God. There are people here old enough to have seen England win the World Cup. :o:D

I'm old enough to have seen them win the World Cup with a beer in my hand.

OK I was 13 and it was my dad's homebrew, but  :p  all the same.

Archived