well done ref

B4ev6is

We had Chris Maguire booked for 'diving' at Burnley earlier this year, it was 1-1 at the time and was about 82 mins into game, it was very much like the Martin incident.

As a neutral, what do you reckon about the incident? Dive or no dive? And what about Martin's bookings?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think burnly should had two players sent off there player that tripped martin up and there keeper hand ball.

There keeper didn't handle the ball outside the area. I have seen the full 90 minutes back on rams player and in my opinion he did not handle it outside the area, as much as you want to believe it.

As for Kieran Trippier who tripped Martin yes he did trip him but i don't think it would have been a red card.

Anyway no point crying about it now. What can we do? the answer: nothing. 

Where do we go from here? answer: we beat Millwall and we beat Bolton putting pressure on Burnley.

The player that tripped Martin (the appropriately named Trippier) should have had a yellow for the foul and a second yellow for immediately jumping into the ref's face making the card waving gesture - reprehensible behaviour. I do however think that Martin had it coming.

Look, it wasn't a great refereeing performance, but let's look at it another way:

The handball:

A referee shouldn't call anything unless he is certain he's out of the area. It looked close, but we don't have any actual proof he was out, and the referee certainly didn't. Even if he was out of the area, unless it was a direct goal scoring opportunity (which it wasn't) it was at worst a free kick and a yellow for the keeper.

Martin's first card:

Harsh, but these things happen, the choice is the referee's. To be honest though Hughes had made at least 2 far worse challenges before that and towards the start of the game I was concerned that he was going to be sent off.

Martin's second and ruled out goal:

The referee thought it was a dive (and it was a very theatrical fall) and he acted accordingly. Despite my initial thoughts that he should have played on and issued the card later, he was entirely within his rights to issue the yellow card, although he probably shouldn't have as Martin never appealed. Keep in mind I have made no reference there to whether or not it was a dive, which is irrelevant, it was entirely up to what the referee saw. Yes, he did appear to be clipped, but the referee has to act by what he sees.

The whole performance wasn't great though, he seemed too eager to punish Derby and appeared to let Burnley get away with a lot, but that's football sometimes. It didn't seem a great performance, but to be honest it's still not as bad as Attwell's still. When you compare a couple of marginal calls which anyone could have got right or wrong to Attwell actually ruling out a goal to give a penalty, then proceeding to rule out another by the same player for reasons that I'm still unsure of, then those apparent errors seem to dwarf any on Saturday.

It may well have cost us a top 2 spot, but at the end of the day if we were ever to have a chance at the top flight, we should be able to do it the hard way too. If we think the refereeing is bad when facing a side like Burnley though, imagine it back in the Premier League. There's no need to keep whinging about it, bring on the next few months and hopefully a red hot go at chasing down that 5 point gap.

The the rule when a player is diret on goal and pasted last and that player is fouled and then player has to go. There keeper did handle outside there area so class as hand ball.

Chris Martin was not direct in on goal watch it again Jason Shackell is covering Trippier. Trippier was not the last man.

The goalkeeper did not handle the ball outside the box.

Chris Martin was not direct in on goal watch it again Jason Shackell is covering Trippier. Trippier was not the last man.

The goalkeeper did not handle the ball outside the box.

The goalkeeper clearly hand his hands on the ball while the ball was outside the area (freeze the picture). Should have been a free kick and booking. 

The goalkeeper clearly hand his hands on the ball while the ball was outside the area (freeze the picture). Should have been a free kick and booking.

Got a freeze frame of that? Keep in mind that the whole ball must be entirely outside the line. Doing this by eye for anything that isn't decently out (we're taking about 2-3') would require you to be literally above the play, that is, looking down from the sky.

Got a freeze frame of that? Keep in mind that the whole ball must be entirely outside the line. Doing this by eye for anything that isn't decently out (we're taking about 2-3') would require you to be literally above the play, that is, looking down from the sky.

You will have to go and get that frame yourself. Disagree that it would have to be 2 or 3' feet outside the area to judge it by eye or that you would have to be hovering overhead to make that call. To be honest it was a minor mistake by the referee but does seem to highlight his lack of focus as demonstrated by other more important incidents in the game. He is quite young (28) and I suspect too immature to be handling big games yet - much in the same way as Stuart Atwell was too young at the time of his disastrous performance against Forest. 

You will have to go and get that frame yourself. Disagree that it would have to be 2 or 3' feet outside the area to judge it by eye or that you would have to be hovering overhead to make that call. To be honest it was a minor mistake by the referee but does seem to highlight his lack of focus as demonstrated by other more important incidents in the game. He is quite young (28) and I suspect too immature to be handling big games yet - much in the same way as Stuart Atwell was too young at the time of his disastrous performance against Forest.

He looked out, but we honestly can't know from the stands or on Tele. If you really want I can explain what parallax error is later.

It wasn't a great performance, but I wouldn't pick on that decision too much.

When I saw it I wasn't sure it was out, it just looked pretty close.  I give the ref no hard time for that decision, seems the right one for me.

The reason why they are getting younger is because of a major shortage of refs.

He looked out, but we honestly can't know from the stands or on Tele. If you really want I can explain what parallax error is later.

It wasn't a great performance, but I wouldn't pick on that decision too much.

No need for parallax error to be explained!! I was only highlighting the incident (I did say it was a minor mistake) because I think it demonstrates that this particular referee has an issue with his focus on incidents within the game and not just this game. I think he would be fine refereeing a mid table game but lacks the maturity to take control of an important game. I suspect the FL will look at his performance and his game allocation for the next few weeks will reflect his need for some refection on his performances.

The reason why they are getting younger is because of a major shortage of refs.

I have no issue with younger referees, I just think that their game allocation should be more carefully managed. This guy must have impressed somewhere to have been fast tracked. As he is a member of PGMOL he will receive a copy of the game and a mentor will go over it highlighting decisions good and bad, Hopefully he will learn from it and have a successful career.

Most refs are poor - it's very rare you get a good one.

46 games and if 10 are reffed well you have been lucky.

Dont agree with this at all.

They have to put up with 22 players trying to get one over them all the time for starters.

They are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

Put up with the FA that will never back them (read graham polls autobiography on this issue ref: Jose Mouriniho)

Put up with accusations ranging from cheating to racism (Mark Clattenburg)

Can you tell me why they are poor and I then can maybe respond to your criticisms. :)

I have no issue with younger referees, I just think that their game allocation should be more carefully managed. This guy must have impressed somewhere to have been fast tracked. As he is a member of PGMOL he will receive a copy of the game and a mentor will go over it highlighting decisions good and bad, Hopefully he will learn from it and have a successful career.

Know what your saying, but the problem lies with the FA.

They can afford to do great things in certain aspects with the english game ( St georges park for example)

Can afford to build a new Wembley.

Theres plenty of money available to make refereeing a career even at a low level.

Will attract young lads who fail the youth systems.

I thinkk for a start there should be money set aside for Academy players from all professional clubs to get them out on a Sunday morning and ref kids games instead of managers/volunteers having to do it.

This idea might even teach future stars from the academy to actually repsect refs more, whether they are right or wrong.

One of my biggest regrets in life is that I never carried on when I got to a decent level.

Know what your saying, but the problem lies with the FA.

They can afford to do great things in certain aspects with the english game ( St georges park for example)

Can afford to build a new Wembley.

Theres plenty of money available to make refereeing a career even at a low level.

Will attract young lads who fail the youth systems.

I thinkk for a start there should be money set aside for Academy players from all professional clubs to get them out on a Sunday morning and ref kids games instead of managers/volunteers having to do it.

This idea might even teach future stars from the academy to actually repsect refs more, whether they are right or wrong.

One of my biggest regrets in life is that I never carried on when I got to a decent level.

I was speaking to one current and well thought of prem referee a few months ago and he was quite blunt in saying that if he gets 75/80% of all his decisions in a game spot on then he considers he has had a good game. The speed of the professional game is such that it is so difficult to get everything right. Interestingly enough, the asst. referees assessments show that they get over 97% of their decisions correct.

I agree with you that part of the academy training should be refereeing kids games and if they do not make it as a player it might just put them on the road to making it as a referee.

Archived