Was it a free kick?

McClarensLads

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Laws of the game make no mention of 'winning the ball' - it is irrelevant.  What matters is if the tackle is careless, reckless or with excessive force.  The tackler (not sure who actually made the tackle) left the ground and lunged in, got the ball first but made significant contact with Hughes immediately after.  In my book that is a careless tackle and the freekick was absolutely correct.

And as the other posters have said, if the ref deemed it to not be a foul, he would have (if applying the laws correctly) pulled the game back for a freekick for us a few yards back anyway, as there was no advantage.

Yeah , he knocked  Hughes flat. Looked like a foul to me.

TBH, I don't remember that match at all so suspect it was one that I missed. A shame that. More often than not he doesn't come across as a **** when you see him on TV or hear him on the radio - guess everyone's prone to it from time to time. Except Shteve of course - top bloke.  :)

Yeah, I liked him before that game. He's a young, well mannered manager who plays attractive style.

You'd remember it if you saw it. Rubbish game anyway. We only played for 20mins at the end. 10 mins was interrupted by injuries.

Kind of like when Chris Martin hurt his ankle but forgot / couldn't be arsed to even do a fake limp for a few seconds once he got up :D:ph34r:

everyone genuinely laughed at that. Ref called for trainer and the trainer didn't even move. Booked their player, and Martin ran off. Hilarious.

Used to like him until I watched that Burnley display. It was 10 minutes where even a shoulder charge brought down players clutching faces in agony.

I remember Theo grabbing Eagles on the shoulder and letting go quickly to avoid a foul... Too late, Eagles went down holding his face with Howe appealing for a free kick. Took Eagles 2mins to limp off and half a second to sprint on. Just in time for that big black lad they used to have to drop like a wardrobe.

Never seen owt like it. I love to see him cheated. I actually hope Hughes tripped over his own feet.

Aye, I remember that one. One of their players got injured by the left wing and took 2 minutes to "limp" to the other side of the pitch completely.

2/3 incidents where their players went down and stayed down over minor incidents, to put it into context there was 7 minutes added time at the end (which Howe got irate about). 

Their first win of the season if I remember correctly.

The 15 minutes leading up to the free kick we had been really turning up the heat and they were constantly fouling us, throwing in heavy challenges etc. The ref might have been more lenient on the actual "foul" that led to the free kick if his team hadn't been quite so barbaric at that point in the game. Tough luck Eddie.

If it wasn't a free kick then some serious questions need asking of the Bournemouth defence, just standing around like lemons while Martin ran up and kicked it in the net.

Note to Eddie Howe, don't encourage your team to play musical statues 85 minutes into a game, whilst it might be a good laugh, ultimately it's not going to win you the points...

Archived