Barmy Army South Stand

dantheram

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the bloke with the drum only bang it when we're winning? And why can't the 'singers' join in when other fans start a chant??

Dave

Because they only like to sing the newest song that they think they have invented. I notice that since i was young song has taken over from that dale cavese, Which took over from that we follow we follow ******** that was nicked from palace.

I prefer the old chants but will join in with the new stuff if it helps create a decent atmosphere.

But the so called "barmy army" also need to join in when others start a chant and not just stand there quietly or try to drown it out with something else.

Ossie - Yeah I prefer the old songs as well but that's the way it is nowadays... Mix of both like you say is acceptable and songs are always changing.

Badlands - drum is used to keep tempo and nothing more. You notice a huge difference when its in the stands. However, some like it and some don't but with anything in life not everyone can be pleased.

Ossie - Yeah I prefer the old songs as well but that's the way it is nowadays... Mix of both like you say is acceptable and songs are always changing.

Badlands - drum is used to keep tempo and nothing more. You notice a huge difference when its in the stands. However, some like it and some don't but with anything in life not everyone can be pleased.

I do indeed, i suddenly start hating life. 

Btw do genuinely believe the majority of people in our away followings actually like the drum ? I can ever so slightly see the merits at home, but away ?? Not having it. 

Also your comments about "the way it is nowadays" give over mate, if the little gang stopped pretending to be Turkish ultras then we wouldn't need to have a mix of good songs and continental crap. Perhaps we should focus on emulating the followings of the likes of MUFC, Leeds, Wednesday who sing proper songs with words and stuff, and not ******* Palace.

All in my opinion of course. 

Btw do genuinely believe the majority of people in our away followings actually like the drum ? I can ever so slightly see the merits at home, but away ?? Not having it. 

Also your comments about "the way it is nowadays" give over mate, if the little gang stopped pretending to be Turkish ultras then we wouldn't need to have a mix of good songs and continental crap. Perhaps we should focus on emulating the followings of the likes of MUFC, Leeds, Wednesday who sing proper songs with words and stuff, and not ******* Palace.

Totally agree with all that, especially the last bit. Make your own songs up or sing the old ones, where did that when I was young one come from, it's crap but not as bad as the others you have mentioned. What is for sure they don't impress fans of the other teams one bit. The best away followings like Man United or Leeds have their own stuff, that's the way the gang needs to go, otherwise stick with Derby or Super Derby.

Well didn't expect it to be the Pope's opinion  :lol:

Okay so my opinion on what you have said...

Away from home yes I can. I will be brutally honest on this. Since Clough has gone many have returned. This is not a dig in the slightest and should not be taken as such, but, when we were taking 400 regular etc it was never a problem and helped things majorly. This has been going on for a few years. Now all of a sudden it seems fans are returning and wish to change things that have been working very well over this period. Guess what I am trying to say is where were these fans when the help was needed etc? Hope you get my point on that and do not see it as a dig at anyone because its not...

Away from home, this season and for the last few seasons we have earned the rights and plaudits from other clubs as being the best fans to have visited their stadiums. Funnily enough, only when the drum has been present to keep that tempo. So imho it's very much worthwhile but as I said I can see why fans would dislike, that is just my opinion.

Behave. No little gang has pretended to be Turkish Ultra's - would you rather see these said fans kicking off at opposing fans and ripping seats up? Perhaps don't answer that on here!

Again this is not a dig but look at the away ends of United, Sheff Wed, Leeds and what do you see? Lads, Lads, Lads and just in case you don't get my point LADS. Who are all on the lash having a good time. Derby support is not like this. Of recent it has picked up but deffo not in comparison.

Ask the players, managers what they think and like. You will find it is what it is now and if thats a good motivation tool for them why should we look at changing something that is not broken?

Even Forest who takes 1000's to every game are jealous of our away support.

In fact why are we even having this discussion when Derby fans are rated so highly wherever we go!  :)

When nobody keeps time its *****.

I've returned this season after the 2007/8 debacle and have been keen to help get the atmosphere going inside PP. The best way i can see of doing that is getting everyone who wants this to happen to sit together, hence my intrigue into the mis-named "barmy army". I would strongly consider not going if we returned to the days of the SE corner being stuck on repeat! it became utterly tedious, with several renditions of 'we hate forest' followed by multiple repeats of 'oh when the rams go marching in' and 'you are my derby'.

I have been very encouraged, so far, this season with the new songs and efforts of the 200 or so up behind me. Hence my delight at realising my move from the SE corner to block F has put on a collision course with the singers! 

Basically, what i'm saying is well done and keep it up!!

Well didn't expect it to be the Pope's opinion  :lol:

Okay so my opinion on what you have said...

Away from home yes I can. I will be brutally honest on this. Since Clough has gone many have returned. This is not a dig in the slightest and should not be taken as such, but, when we were taking 400 regular etc it was never a problem and helped things majorly. This has been going on for a few years. Now all of a sudden it seems fans are returning and wish to change things that have been working very well over this period. Guess what I am trying to say is where were these fans when the help was needed etc? Hope you get my point on that and do not see it as a dig at anyone because its not...

Away from home, this season and for the last few seasons we have earned the rights and plaudits from other clubs as being the best fans to have visited their stadiums. Funnily enough, only when the drum has been present to keep that tempo. So imho it's very much worthwhile but as I said I can see why fans would dislike, that is just my opinion.

Behave. No little gang has pretended to be Turkish Ultra's - would you rather see these said fans kicking off at opposing fans and ripping seats up? Perhaps don't answer that on here!

Again this is not a dig but look at the away ends of United, Sheff Wed, Leeds and what do you see? Lads, Lads, Lads and just in case you don't get my point LADS. Who are all on the lash having a good time. Derby support is not like this. Of recent it has picked up but deffo not in comparison.

Ask the players, managers what they think and like. You will find it is what it is now and if thats a good motivation tool for them why should we look at changing something that is not broken?

Even Forest who takes 1000's to every game are jealous of our away support.

In fact why are we even having this discussion when Derby fans are rated so highly wherever we go!  :)

Not having any of that. The general view is our support in numbers and quality away from home is poor for the size of the club and I agree with that. Anybody who thinks our support away from home is the best in the league is deluded, patchy is the best you can describe, Birmingham was good, mainly due to some good old time Rams going and dictating it but Blackburn was dire.

Players and managers are not going to tell you it's crap, be realistic. Cut out the drum, can you imagine Leeds fans needing a drum, cut out that continental crap, it's horrible. The general view amongst Forest fans,(sensible or tribal) and there are plenty of them round here is our support is crap and they were in years gone by genuinely envious of our support.

When I go to away games, I want there to be a party atmosphere. 

I went to Huddersfield, and despite the result, and the manner of the result, I still came away feeling like I'd had a good time. The crowd was bouncing, singing away, it was good to be there.

I don't care if it is because of the drum or not. I don't particularly care what the songs are, so long as I can join in.

And no, I don't need a keg of beer to get involved. I'm not one of these 'LADs' on the lash. 

I'm not arsed about the drum either way. It slows people down sometimes.

Steve Bloomers watching is not a race. The worst executed song ever.

I can't believe out of the thousands of recognisable tunes to make football chants that fans up and down the country share about 3 new ones every year and then they die for 3 newer ones.

Like "hoist up the Derby sail, can't here the Forest sing..." Have you heard the original song? It's certainly doesn't make you think 'this should be a football chant'

Listen to Smooth FM! There's potentially a new source for a chant every 5 minutes to a tune we all know.

Thought we might be into something with 3 little birds and livin on a prayer. People just don't like new stuff.

Like banter with the players. That song to Wisdom was the best I've heard since Bywater. That's not especially great form is it?

I'm not telling people what to do. Just can't understand why it's so hard.

Archived