George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit that I see this Thorne interview as honest and straight opinion of a guy who wants to be given a chance somewhere. He is ready to go after playing role even if it means he has to go lower league and smaller wages.

I can't defend him, this is no better than Toure's antics.

On the other hand I'll be ecstatic if he signs!

In my opinion this is miles apart from the toure situation, he spat his dummy out because he didnt get a birthday card/cake even though he plays for a top side on alot of £££.

Thorne has spat his dummy out because he wants to progress his development at a place he has just enjoyed 3-4 months at while dropping a league in the process.

Don't see what the problem is.

A young player WANTING to play football and willing to drop a level, instead of sit on a bench.

Rarity

I guess the WBA annoyance is they tied him to a 3.5yr contract. He was injured and sent out on loan for fitness. They couldn't take risks as they were struggling in the league. Now he plays a few games for Derby and starts demanding a place.

I guess the WBA annoyance is they tied him to a 3.5yr contract. He was injured and sent out on loan for fitness. They couldn't take risks as they were struggling in the league. Now he plays a few games for Derby and starts demanding a place.

he is claiming he only signed the contract so they would loan him out, could be duress of contract, which means it would not be legally binding, if not i do feel the West Brom board will have upped his price now

In my opinion this is miles apart from the toure situation, he spat his dummy out because he didnt get a birthday card/cake even though he plays for a top side on alot of £££.

Thorne has spat his dummy out because he wants to progress his development at a place he has just enjoyed 3-4 months at while dropping a league in the process.

Much of this is conjecture, and of course we'll never see the true details, but I think the two situations are more similar than you'd think, and this is how I think they went down:

Yaya Toure decides he wants out of City. This could have been anytime since he joined, really. He continues to sign new contracts with them to increase his wages but that doesn't mean he wants to stay. This summer he decides to make it happen. He meets with his agent to discuss it. Their solution is the whole birthday masquerade, followed by the oh-so-innocent remarks about how wonderful a club PSG are. I'm positive that Yaya Toure doesn't care one bit about Man City supposedly forgetting to buy him a Bugatti or whatever happened. He's just publicly declaring his desire to leave off the back of the only excuse he/they can come up with.

Thorne's case really isn't that far off. He wants out of a club he's contracted to so works with his agent to come up with a solution. The repeated specific mentions of Derby shows he specifically wants a move to this club. His (perceived) arrogance and demand for first team football are likely enough to put other teams off bidding, forcing West Brom to accept Derby's offer. I really wouldn't be surprised if Sam Rush was part of the meeting to plan all this. There's no way this is George Thorne working alone.

Ignoring my association with Derby, it's another example of player power, and springs to mind Robbie Savage's article on the BBC about players looking for a move (I'm not linking to it, I can't stand the guy). My wary side sees Thorne, and other players, doing this to us in a couple of seasons time when we're doing a Southampton.

If I'm involved with West Brom I'm furious. The guy has been on their books being treated for injury, and now he makes it impossible for them to keep him without huge resentment from fans. It doesn't look like an option.

This makes me so happy. Good on him for wanting to play football IMO, how many good young talents waste away at clubs thinking they might have the chance to play in the prem. Thorne knows that we will have a very good chance at being promoted and will get first team football with us in the prem or champ.

Think the team spirte of the lads has helped alot, I love watching them together! Proud of them!

Did they tie him to contract though to get a bigger fee?

I think this one has got a long way to go yet and could have bigger implications for the club. West Brom could well think **** you Derby and sell to another club. Also whist George is being very complimentary about us if this turns into a saga his agent will look after his best interests and line a move up elsewhere. Another thing to factor in as well is how will other clubs view this? Will this put off Prem clubs sending us their young stars if this is what happens? Don't get me wrong I would love to sign George but this isn't over by a long chalk.

I think this one has got a long way to go yet and could have bigger implications for the club. West Brom could well think **** you Derby and sell to another club. Also whist George is being very complimentary about us if this turns into a saga his agent will look after his best interests and line a move up elsewhere. Another thing to factor in as well is how will other clubs view this? Will this put off Prem clubs sending us their young stars if this is what happens? Don't get me wrong I would love to sign George but this isn't over by a long chalk.

Surely it will have the opposite effect, seeing someone have a tremendous time with us after just 5 months literally falling in love with the club. 

WBA can not sell to another club if Thorne refuses to go.

Thorne has not refused to play for WBA, completely the opposite.

As I see it Thorne has just said he was happy in his work at Derby, and if WBA don't want to play him, then can he please come to Derby, I see nothing wrong at all .

Archived