The demise of Forest

ladyram

I should not bite but we beat the reigning European champions Liverpool in the first round (no seeding in those days) and German champions Cologne in the semi finals. We beat Ajax and Hamburg enroute in the next season.

Looking at the different rounds shows what a completely different competition it was with teams for Ireland, Northern Ireland and Malta playing in the proper rounds. All teams played minnows in those days. The UEFA cup was very strong in those days as well.

Anyway winning two European Cups is something we should be rightfully proud of and you can argue it was harder to win having had to win the league to compete than in this day and age. It does not affect the club now or even make us a big club but why should not be proud of something that special?

Listening to Danny Taylor (massive Forest fan and chief football writer for the Guardian) has touched on the damage that Davies has caused by allowing him and Price to run the club as a two band show meaning there is no structure with no senior staff. Fawaz has ****** up big time for allowing that to happen ...

Fair point, Knowle, you should be proud, we would be, of course. I do wish we'd beat Juve, and gone on to win it. I won't pretend I don't.

However, the problem is how you think that means you're owed a place among the European elite, among Liverpool, Manure and the rest.

But it was a very different competition back then. It's like saying Preston deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the consistent champions, again Liverpool, Manure and the rest. It was a very different competition when they were successful.

Meanwhile, we could list the teams we beat to win the league twice. Liverpool, Manure and the rest. That really is something to write home about.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What really got up my nose was Billy's ramblings when we got promoted about 'It should have been Preston'.

Imagine if he'd got Forest promoted and ranted on about 'It should have been Derby.'

Just a self-serving odious little gob-***** dwarf.

Fact.

I think he was saying that if he'd stayed at preston then he believed that they would have been promoted that year.

He wasn't saying he would rather it was preston than derby.

Although he might think that now.

Fair point, Knowle, you should be proud, we would be, of course. I do wish we'd beat Juve, and gone on to win it. I won't pretend I don't.

However, the problem is how you think that means you're owed a place among the European elite, among Liverpool, Manure and the rest.

But it was a very different competition back then. It's like saying Preston deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the consistent champions, again Liverpool, Manure and the rest. It was a very different competition when they were successful.

Meanwhile, we could list the teams we beat to win the league twice. Liverpool, Manure and the rest. That really is something to write home about.

That is a myth, I have never met any fans who think we should be part of the European elite. Any sensible fan knows it is impossible for a club of our size to replicate the feats and the fact we had an absolute genius in charge.

You're right about Preston and you can also mention Huddersfield. Billy described himself as Preston's most successful manager ever though ;)

The only people to my knowledge who have mentioned about Forest being a Premier League club are Doughty and Fawaz and that is of course what they should be aiming for. The talk of a third star is just wishful thinking, and it would be highly unlikely even if someone threw Man City sums of money at us.

You should be proud of your achievements as well, whereas Leicester can be so proud of finishing upper midtable and winning two league cups under O'Neill ;)

What amuses me is the false sense of entitlement that has kicked in again. They are a big club, therefore they should be in the Premier League. Managers come and go (hilariously frequently in their case) - so when the vacancy at the City Ground comes up every few months, the sense of entitlement kicks in again. They deserve a top manager to match their big club status, but manager after manager distance themselves from the job. So now they console themselves that they have a brave, decisive chairman who only wants the best for Nottingham Forest so he is not giving the job to the likes of Warnock - whereas the truth is considerably distanced from that. He's just getting turned down again and again and again.

So now we have this nonsense where Fridgy says "I do not interfere - I shall write it into the contract that I do not interfere and will pay compensation (when I do)". If EVER there was a statement to put off any prospective manager with visions of making something of his career - AND, on the other hand, attracting every fly-by-night chancer of the BD ilk who would be willing to let the chairman dip his toes in - but when things get ugly when Fridgy's imports don't make the grade, said chancer can hold up the "Will not interfere" line in the contract and walk away with a Billy-sized wheelbarrow of cash.

Clown Car Crash.

That is a myth, I have never met any fans who think we should be part of the European elite. Any sensible fan knows it is impossible for a club of our size to replicate the feats and the fact we had an absolute genius in charge.

You're right about Preston and you can also mention Huddersfield. Billy described himself as Preston's most successful manager ever though ;)

The only people to my knowledge who have mentioned about Forest being a Premier League club are Doughty and Fawaz and that is of course what they should be aiming for. The talk of a third star is just wishful thinking, and it would be highly unlikely even if someone threw Man City sums of money at us.

You should be proud of your achievements as well, whereas Leicester can be so proud of finishing upper midtable and winning two league cups under O'Neill ;)

But two league cups are surely worth more than two European cups, of even two division 1

Forest were a good side for 3 seasons, no, not Autumn, Winter and Spring but 1977-78, 78-79 and 79-80. Won the league and two euro cups. The best period in their history by several country miles. 

But that's it. For no other period in their history have they been anything other than a yo-yo average club. Actually, for their huge urban population they have probably under performed and to this day, continue to have no more support than West Brom, Fulham or Ipswich.

I like this notion from small time club's suggesting we were only good in the years we won the European cup.

Is that the criteria for being good? Being the champions of Europe?

In that case when were you ever good? Never.

TARDIS for red dyawn

Why have you unblocked me? You couldn't stay away. Obsessed

I haven't. A lot of people were ridiculing your puerile drivel as usual, so I clicked 'view it anyway' - to be part of the fun.

Don't flatter yourself Dawny - I still think you're an obnoxious **** and I won't forgive you until the day you die for what you said, but in these heady post-Billy days, I don't see why you should be immune from having the mickey taken out of you.

Have you applied for the job yet? After all, post-Bush-Afghanistan-invasion unemployment beckons. You don't want to have to go back to turning tricks in Parliament Street  

Lee Peltier tried to cancel the loan move but couldn't so he's at Forest now where he doesn't want to be :lol:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/neil-warnock-i-could-have-got-nottingham-forest-promoted-into-the-premier-league-9222568.html

Since when was Keogh up for sale??

They said I could bring in three players in the January 2013 window so I lined up Chris Burke of Birmingham, Derby’s Richard Keogh, and Craig Mackail-Smith of Brighton. (about Leeds btw)

Archived