The demise of Forest

ladyram

They keep banging on about these injuries that have 'crippled their season', but haven't most of them only occurred in the last 4 weeks? It's only Wilson and Cohen who were 'long term'. Smacks of getting their excuses in early for the failures yet to come.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed that season more than any other that followed, with the exception of this.

What he did to get us up imo was nothing short of remarkable, transforming us from a bottom team into one that finished third and deserved to be promoted.

Id rather see forest fail than davies, both of them happening just makes it sweeter

Agreed. The football played was still pants though.

I will never forget Matt Oakley's overhead back heel goal!

They keep banging on about these injuries that have 'crippled their season', but haven't most of them only occurred in the last 4 weeks? It's only Wilson and Cohen who were 'long term'. Smacks of getting their excuses in early for the failures yet to come.

Darlow

Lichaj Hobbs Wilson Cohen

Vaughan Reid

Mackie Lansbury Pato

Cox

...wins the league if it gets a full season...

Darlow - No injuries

Lichaj - Only recently injured

Hobbs - A couple of weeks missed

Wilson - Season long injury

Cohen - Injured early in the season but still started 16 games for them this season

Vaughan - Signed an injured player, their own fault

Reid - Injured/Dropped for the last match

Mackie - No injuries

Lansbury - Only recently injured

Paterson - No injuries

Cox - No injuries

So they've had Wilson out all season, Cohen since late November and then a few that's happened recently. But obviously they would have won the league if they were all fit

Don't let anyone kid you, we won promotion, we were the third best team in the league, we went to Wembley and won the biggest cash prize in world football....he was loved when he was here.

Not by me.

I was with the thousands on the pitch singing his name after the Southampton semi final and after the open top bus parade after he had said everything he did about Preston.

I wasn't.

For sure that Is the reason why so many people dislike him, if he was managing Wigan no one would give a toss about him and his ways.

I would, the man's a cock.

Oh have Florest got some injuries?

Can't have.

Stoners distinctly said that there were '...few inaccuracies'. In other words, it was mostly accurate.

The 'It should have been Preston' thing was in the Lancashire Evening Post not long after he left.

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/davies-it-should-have-been-north-end-1-63969

When he has failed again at Forest and walked away with another wheelbarrow-sized payoff, you will feel about him the same way that Preston and Derby fans do. If ever a man deserved the accolade of 'Least likely to be pissed on if he was on fire', he does.

One thing I am surprised you lot have not picked up on is Forest fans thinking the Football League Show has it for them.

Manish is a self confessed Leicester fan and Claridge also has his strong Leicester connections. However, I do not think either are biased towards any team and both of them are often complimentary to Forest. We also more than our fair share of coverage on the show as well.

Tiger Tedd.

Florest have won 8 games by more than 1 clear goal, 5 by 2 goals, and 3 by 3 goals

DERBY have also won 8 games by more than 1 clear goal,  4 by 2 goals,  2 by 3 goals,  and 2 by 4 goals.

Really?! It really doesn't seem like they've won that many games so comprehensively. But facts is facts. Mind you though, there is a difference between a 1-0 win, and a 3-2 win. And it's interesting that in our promotion season, we won less games as convincingly, but we were constantly in a higher position than Forest. They are drawing far too many.

Thinking about that season reminded me that during our Prem season I was travelling, and I read the book 'Money Ball'. And I thought Billy must have read this book too, it just reflected his management style and recruitment policy so much.

I remember one particular package where Billy Beane insisted in buying a player. He was nothing at all special, all his scouts were trying to encourage him to buy some kid that hit hime runs for fun. But when Billy Beane looked at the stats, although there were some memorable home runs, this kid didn't rally contribute much to wins. Whereas this other guy had a knack of drawing foul balls, which got him on first base, which did contribute to wins.

It was unspectacular, and not particularly exciting, but by recruiting people in this way, he was able to build a squad on buttons, and win games.

I think Billy was like this at Preston and Derby. The football was not exciting, but it was effective. He was able to create a style where inexpensive, mediocre players could play to their strengths and flourish.

But, when he's got a bit of money to spend, he can't adjust that style. When he can finally afford the guy that hits the big home runs, he buys him, but continues to ask them to bunt the ball and steal first base. Playing the percentages, doing what he knows works.

And fans will put up with it for as long as it brings results, and con themselves into believing it is what they want, but no one is really very happy about the dour football that is being played. And that type of football will only get you so far, as Billy has proven. You need the x-factor to get beyond third. Billy isn't an artist, he's paint by numbers, he doesn't have what it takes beyond that.

Archived