20 Years of January Signings

Day

HERE are Derby County's January signings in the last 20 years.

Which do you think were the best? Check out Steve Nicholson's view in Tuesday Talk by following the link.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Tuesday-Talk-Steve-Nicholson-picks-January/story-20468393-detail/story.html

Under Roy McFarland: Paul Trollope, Dean Yates.

Under Jim Smith: Chris Powell.

Under George Burley: Manuel Martinez Fernandez “Manel“, Rob Edwards (loan), Marco Reich, Jamie Vincent, Leon Osman (loan), Noel Whelan.

Under Phil Brown: Danny Graham (loan), Darren Moore, Tomasz Hajto, Da Silva (monthly contract).

Under Billy Davies: David Jones, Craig Fagan, Gary Teale, Stephen Pearson, Jay McEveley, Jon Macken, Tyrone Mears.

Under Paul Jewell: Danny Mills (loan), Emanuel Villa, Laurent Robert, Robbie Savage, Hossam Ghaly, Mile Sterjovski, Roy Carroll, Alan Stubbs.

Under Chris Hutchings: Nacer Barazite (loan), Luke Varney, Seb Hines (loan).

Under Nigel Clough: Chris Porter, Lee Johnson (loan), Nicky Hunt (loan), Russell Anderson, Javan Vidal (loan), Michael Tonge (loan), Ben Davies, Tom Naylor, Ryan Noble (loan), Tom Carroll (loan).

Under Steve McClaren: Zak Whitbread (loan), Michael Keane (loan), Simon Dawkins, Patrick Bamford (loan).

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-s-January-signings-20-years/story-20472313-detail/story.html#ixzz2r309IsOY

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me that's just a long list of disappointing players with only a few of stand out performers:

Chris Powell - can only just remember Chris Powell but was a quality acquisition

Marco Reich - always liked him when he played under GB

Leon Osman - great little player whose gone on to big things with Everton

The rest have just been a disappointing waste of money, IMO. The jury is still out whether Dawkins and Bamford will be up there with the three above...

HERE are Derby County's January signings in the last 20 years.

Which do you think were the best? Check out Steve Nicholson's view in Tuesday Talk by following the link.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Tuesday-Talk-Steve-Nicholson-picks-January/story-20468393-detail/story.html

Under Roy McFarland: Paul Trollope, Dean Yates.

Under Jim Smith: Chris Powell.

Under George Burley: Manuel Martinez Fernandez “Manel“, Rob Edwards (loan), Marco Reich, Jamie Vincent, Leon Osman (loan), Noel Whelan.

Under Phil Brown: Danny Graham (loan), Darren Moore, Tomasz Hajto, Da Silva (monthly contract).

Under Billy Davies: David Jones, Craig Fagan, Gary Teale, Stephen Pearson, Jay McEveley, Jon Macken, Tyrone Mears.

Under Paul Jewell: Danny Mills (loan), Emanuel Villa, Laurent Robert, Robbie Savage, Hossam Ghaly, Mile Sterjovski, Roy Carroll, Alan Stubbs.

Under Chris Hutchings: Nacer Barazite (loan), Luke Varney, Seb Hines (loan).

Under Nigel Clough: Chris Porter, Lee Johnson (loan), Nicky Hunt (loan), Russell Anderson, Javan Vidal (loan), Michael Tonge (loan), Ben Davies, Tom Naylor, Ryan Noble (loan), Tom Carroll (loan).

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-s-January-signings-20-years/story-20472313-detail/story.html#ixzz2r309IsOY

I've highlighted the players who have made a positive impact at the club.

I could have put Savage in there, but I count more than pure appearances. Ben Davies has actually scored some pretty important goals for us and has made much more of a positive impact.

I could have also highlighted Stephen Pearson for his play-off final goal. I personally left him out because of the goal. If only he'd missed it, we wouldn't have gone through all that misery...

Other than that, I don't think there's much more controversy in my selections.

That's 7 out of 41 - and I'm being generous.

This club is so, so, SO crap at January transfer windows. Not sure how Steve could possibly not do better.

For me that's just a long list of disappointing players with only a few of stand out performers:

Chris Powell - can only just remember Chris Powell but was a quality acquisition

Marco Reich - always liked him when he played under GB

Leon Osman - great little player whose gone on to big things with Everton

The rest have just been a disappointing waste of money, IMO. The jury is still out whether Dawkins and Bamford will be up there with the three above...

I think saying all of them were a waste of money is abit harsh because I can remember afew of the other players being useful at some time or another

Just don't get why Chris Powell was rated a good player for us. Never thought he was any good to be honest just never warmed to him.

But wow there is some dross on there!

I also think Tongue wasn't a bad signing either.

Chris Powell, was an exceptional player for us...and for England..!

The rest... wow, what a bunch of chumps.....from the whole list I would only have Powell, Osman and Jones...the rest were all truly awful.

What about Moore? It's the only thing Phil Brown did right when he was here imo.....

I would also argue that although every one on here hates him and always blames his January transfer window for almost stopping us getting promotion, that me Davies did reasonably well with Tyrone mears, jones, Pearson and even fagan making a difference.

Mears' one good game was at Wembley, which isn't a bad place to have your one good game.

Jones was average but will always remember that free kick v Wednesday in the dying seconds, another undeserved 1-0 win.

Pearson, possibly one of the finest signings ever (in the category of players that looked great somewhere else but were actually rubbish)

Fagan, nothing good to say about him at all

Of the others Macken barely featured, McEveley should have stayed in Rocky IV, which means by default, Gary Teale turns out to be Billy's best January buy!

Go home Muespach, you're drunk. Premier League season aside, he was brilliant.

Brilliant..? he was a very very average "stopper" and during the last half of the season we went up he was a total liability, every team we played against targetted him as the weak point and he was hammered most days. Believe me i am no fan of Dean Leacok at all, but he covered for him so many times.

just because someone will put their head in front of a tank doesnt make them a good player.

Just don't get why Chris Powell was rated a good player for us. Never thought he was any good to be honest just never warmed to him.

But wow there is some dross on there!

I also think Tongue wasn't a bad signing either.

You didn't think Chris Powell was any good but thought Tonge was decent?!

Guess it's all about opinions, innit.

You didn't think Chris Powell was any good but thought Tonge was decent?!

Guess it's all about opinions, innit.

thought tongue was ok for the time we had him. Not saying he was anything extraordinary.

I just never warmed to Chris Powell.

Brilliant..? he was a very very average "stopper" and during the last half of the season we went up he was a total liability, every team we played against targetted him as the weak point and he was hammered most days. Believe me i am no fan of Dean Leacok at all, but he covered for him so many times.

just because someone will put their head in front of a tank doesnt make them a good player.

In our promotion season he was in the PFA team of the year......

Archived