“I don’t think there are a lot of players out there who we can buy who could improve our squad.''

Ambitious

McClaren says he is happy with the squad.

“I don’t plan to do anything at the present moment. I am happy with the squad and why not? said McClaren.

“This squad in the first half of the season has performed very well.

“It has proved good enough to get in a good position.

“What’s January, really? We have still got the loan period after January and that is what we will be looking at anyway – loans, not to buy anybody.

“Unless something really exciting comes up, something that is going to change our team, help our team, then I can see us doing no business at all.”

McClaren does not believe January is a good time to buy.

“I think it is the wrong time,” he said.

“I don’t think there are a lot of players out there who we can buy who could improve our squad.

“I think that might change in the loan market but I don’t think at present there are players out there at the price and salaries we can acquire that are going to make a difference to what we have got.

“The key thing we are trying to do as a club is not to panic, not to over-react and say after a performance and a defeat like Leicester that everything is wrong. That is not the case.”

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Loans-likely-January-signings-Sky-Bet/story-20454242-detail/story.html#ixzz2qg3ylbGS

A few sweeping statements in there, certainly into our expenditure.

"I don’t think at present there are players out there at the price and salaries we can acquire that are going to make a difference to what we have got.''

Wasn't we told that if we ever got into a position in January to stick or twist, we would twist?

I think we're looking good, but certainly could be easily improved IMO - unless of course, we are still offering peanuts. And what's the difference between loaning someone this month, in comparison to next? Surely, the ability to get someone until the end of the season (including play-offs) would be preferable.

I don't understand how the board and McClaren can be so nonchalant about it, we'll have to see what happens, but it seem strange - are we really that hard to improve?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't recall ever bearing from an official source we would twist in January

Reading between the lines I think money is there but not enough to buy someone who would improve us, but we might be able to afford wages on a loan that would.

Andy Appleby indicated there would previous to the window being open..

Derby County chairman Andrew Appleby responded to the BBC, when questioned if there would be money to spend in January, commenting:

'Yes, of course and you know, we feel like there has always been money but you know, we have to have the right plan and really feel like we can challenge.

'As results are going now, I really feel like we will be there in January, and of course we have to continue to win and feel like we have a chance to contend.

'Certainly at this point, we do feel that'

Andy Appleby indicated there would previous to the window being open..

Derby County chairman Andrew Appleby responded to the BBC, when questioned if there would be money to spend in January, commenting:

'Yes, of course and you know, we feel like there has always been money but you know, we have to have the right plan and really feel like we can challenge.

'As results are going now, I really feel like we will be there in January, and of course we have to continue to win and feel like we have a chance to contend.

'Certainly at this point, we do feel that'

all that says is money is available, Steves words are we can't acquire anyone to improve us - my take is because the money that is available isn't enough to pay a purchase fee for and fund wages of someone good enough

all that says is money is available, Steves words are we can't acquire anyone to improve us - my take is because the money that is available isn't enough to pay a purchase fee for and fund wages of someone good enough

That sounds about right to me. There's money there available to bring in say a Fagan, a McEveley or a Macken but they don't just want to add numbers to the squad, they want to add quality. Sounds sensible.

Do people really think that loans come with no cost? We have signed Dawkins on a permanent basis, brought Bamford in on loan as well as extending existing loans to the end of the season so money has been spent.

ST and his staff have taken us into our best position at the halfway stage of the season for a number of years so my advice is trust his judgement - if it's his opinion that it's unlikely there's a player out there who is available and would approve the team then I'm more than happy to accept that opinion.

With some fans, it seems to be a case of no matter how many players are brought in (permanents or otherwise), they will always want another one - a bit like the addictive gambler always needing that one final bet and when that doesn't come up trumps, well one more will do the business!

Ryan Bertrand went to Villa today...would he not have improved the team?

No doubt he would have improved us but in his position, as a loan for the rest of the season, would you prefer to play in the Premiership (albeit in one of the poorer sides) or in a team fighting for promotion from the Championship?

For me it would be to carry on in the top league where you are in a much bigger shop windows come the end of the season. Also, heaven knows what money he's on!

Archived