Is it ever justifiable to switch allegiances?

TigerTedd

When I was a kid, my brother-in-law, who is from Manchester, was a City fan. I distinctly remember this because, as the only person in my family who seemed to have any passion for football, I decided to follow his example. But I got a bit confused and adorned my bedroom with Manchester United posters (I was young and impressionable, it was a phase, I got over it). 

He wasn't best pleased that I was suddenly a United fan, but he took me a couple of games anyway, bless him.

Now, in the past few years, he's become a United fan. I'm not really sure of the reasons for this, it might be because he isn't into football as much as I thought he was. But I was trying to consider potentially justifiable reasons.

If he fundamentally disagreed with the new direction of City, with the relocation to a new ground, with the principle of oil sheikhs using clubs as play things, would it be justifiable for him to switch allegiances?

Maybe justifiable examples are:

If a Forest fan hated the new direction of the club, with Billy being in charge for the next 60 years ('their Alex Ferguson'), maybe after a reasonable period of time to see if it all settles down, they might choose to start supporting Notts County instead.

Man United fans supporting FC United of Manchester because they fundamentally disagree with the takeover by the Glazers.

Wimbledon Fans switching to AFC Wimbledon because they don't like the relocation plan.

I think it only works if there is a viable alternative. I don't think there is a viable alternative in Derby, so we are Derby, through thick and thin (although I remember a few on here last season saying they might follow Burton or Ilkeston for a bit of excitement).

What do you reckon? Discuss?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, this isn't in response to any particular feelings about wishing there was an alternative in Derby. Far, far from it. Now I'm over my bout of United-itis, and my mental health is back in check, I am, most assuredly, Derby til I die, even if Satan himself took over. I was just wondering what my brother-in-laws reasons my be.

I suppose I should probably just ask him.

Of course it is justifiable. Some people go purely to watch a good display of football, others have an emotional attachment to the team, some do both.

For me Derby and England are the only team I could have any allegiance to. However in the past I have been to watch other teams play on corporate events etc

When i was a youngun everyone in my family hated footy, i liked Man Utd when they had players like Kanchelskis etc. Then when i got to secondary school i was hanging out with Derby lads and i saw the light.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. My Dad doesn't care for football, and he comes from Reading anyway, so I had no positive influences on my life until later on in school. Coincidentally, the season I switched was when the Bald Eagle took charge, so maybe Asanovic's accusations of 'glory hunter' are not unfounded. Nothing but blue skies since then  :unsure: .

I have a plethora of teams I like to watch, or see win.

Usually ordered in:

Geographical location

- Local to where I was born (Derby / Mansfield / Alfreton).

- Local to where I am living. (King's Lynn)

- Supporting any English/British team in Europe.

How a club goes about its business

- I'd love to see Arsenal win the league this year.

- I'd love it even more to see a side like Southampton or Everton win it, but lets be realistic.

- The style of football played.

Any connections

- Usually if a side has an ex-derby player/manager that I liked.

- Can stretch to supporting a side I've played a lot on a computer game (not often any more).

I have a plethora of teams I like to watch, or see win.

Usually ordered in:

Geographical location

- Local to where I was born (Derby / Mansfield / Alfreton).

- Local to where I am living. (King's Lynn)

- Supporting any English/British team in Europe.

How a club goes about its business

- I'd love to see Arsenal win the league this year.

- I'd love it even more to see a side like Southampton or Everton win it, but lets be realistic.

- The style of football played.

Any connections

- Usually if a side has an ex-derby player/manager that I liked.

- Can stretch to supporting a side I've played a lot on a computer game (not often any more).

All British teams in Europe except Celtic.....

I think it is acceptable to change allegiance to a local non-league team if you fundamentally disagree with something that is happening with your team. Couldn't bring myself to go to a league game but supporting lower league football is a good thing to do imo.

I think it is acceptable to change allegiance to a local non-league team if you fundamentally disagree with something that is happening with your team. Couldn't bring myself to go to a league game but supporting lower league football is a good thing to do imo.

Good point. I've been to watch Fisher (Fisher Athletic reborn) a bit when I can't make it to Derby. Really puts things in to perspective.

I switched allegiances (in the loosest sense of the phrase). I was never really passionate about football until I was 18 and went to uni, where I played and watched a lot of football because of my housemates. Up until then, I had a passing interest in Man United's scores because my Dad supports them but now I wholeheartedly support Derby. :p

No excuse after the age of legal responsibility. Once you get to 13, if you change your club you're dead to all reasonable football fans.

Archived