Callum Ball

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ball has the technique, you can see that from the goals he has scored - he just lacks in most other areas.

On the subject of pace, I WOULD say Sammon is the quickest in terms of pure physical pace... but certainly one of the slowest in speed of thought and time taken between brain and feet! - At times he CAN do all the things people say he can't, but those tmes are few and far between. When he does something well he does it very well, when he does something bad he does it very, very badly.

Jay McEvely was another that, when he got going, could be pretty fast (physically, although not great acceleration) - but when his reactions came into play, so did an element of s.l.o.w.  Gareth Roberts had really good acceleration, but over distance it wasn't there with us, so he got forward quite well but then struggled to get back to defend, and was probably about average in terms of quickness of thought.

Back to Sammon/Ball - I would trust Ball to finish the chances Sammon misses, but I wouldn't trust Ball to create the chances Sammon creates.

The first time I ever saw him play, he reminded me of John O'Hare. He's only just 21, so don't write him off yet.

Yes I thought he played well when he first came into the team, held the ball up well and scored a few goals. Then he went off the boil. Strange how he struggled at Coventry and Torquay I thought he was better than that. But I cant see him getting ahead of Martin or Sammon at the moment, and we have Russell and Ward who can play inside as well, plus Mason Bennett. But you never know with some good coaching....he always seemed to have a good scoring record for the reserves. 

Yes I thought he played well when he first came into the team, held the ball up well and scored a few goals. Then he went off the boil. Strange how he struggled at Coventry and Torquay I thought he was better than that. But I cant see him getting ahead of Martin or Sammon at the moment, and we have Russell and Ward who can play inside as well, plus Mason Bennett. But you never know with some good coaching....he always seemed to have a good scoring record for the reserves. 

I know loads of Coventry fans (I work at JLR) and they did not like him at all and didn't see what he 'brought to the team'. Regarding Torquay, they wanted to extend his loan, but couldn't afford it - so perhaps this season he has 'kicked on' a little. Anyway, our coaching staff felt that he warranted a place on the bench against Birmingham, so one can only assume that he has impressed in training.

It wasn't 2 goals, it was 4.

He only ever scored 4 goals in the league in his entire career at Derby - and they came over a spell of 4 months. That is NOT a 'run'.

Yeah, I think I should have put '4 goals in his entire career at Derby' and not 'in the league'. Either way, he was an inferior version of Theo who got injured looking at a bacon sandwich.

why are people so interested in what Coventry and Torquay fans think?

Many people here discount the effort put in by loan players we have, so why would our players put in more effort when somewhere else on loan?

I don't recall Swindon fans being so enthused by Chris Martin's loan spell with them, yet he is our player of the season this season (Bryson would be, but we expected contributions from him, whereas many didn't from Martin!)

According to wiki he's scored 2 in 23 league games for Derby. Although that's a bit misleading as most of those came from the bench.

Sammon in 9 goals in 55 games.

1.2 million.

Sammon's scored 3 in 14 games this season. Although that's a bit misleading as ten of those came from the bench.

He is the classic big striker who can finish but doesn't do much else. 15 years ago he would have been great. Every time I have seen him play he has looked unfit. Is it really too much to ask for someone to give him a fitness training regime for a month. 

He is the classic big striker who can finish but doesn't do much else. 15 years ago he would have been great. Every time I have seen him play he has looked unfit. Is it really too much to ask for someone to give him a fitness training regime for a month. 

looking unfit, and being unfit are two totally different things.

Perhaps he is on one now. If he is as bad as the experts on here make out, why would the head coach include him in the match squad?

BMO?

I'd hardly count 2 against Brentfords reserves. His level...

Love it when 'experts' choose which goals don't count in stats to help back their point up.

It's Bryson I feel sorry for, after all I assume his hat-trick 'hardly counts' considering how poor Millwall were that day?

Love it when 'experts' choose which goals don't count in stats to help back their point up.

It's Bryson I feel sorry for, after all I assume his hat-trick 'hardly counts' considering how poor Millwall were that day?

Thank you for so eloquently putting what I couldn't be arsed to...

Archived