GSE and the Owners; where do you stand?

Mostyn6

The GSE/Owners opinion poll  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was an owner that DID tell many lies and is somehow held in high regard by some fans here. Someone who said he'd put £5m into the club (along with his fellow consortium members) when he had only guaranteed £1m. This person also promised to sign quality players the day after Wembley, and that we were going to "take the premier league by a storm" (sic), this person also stood outside Pride Park live on Sky sports news confirming signings of which none actually signed!!

I've never heard this before and is quite startling.  What's the source for this?

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appleby said this summer that he expects us to make the top 6. He has certainly spoke in the last 4 years.

As for amounts, what about the infamous Barker type fees that weren't spent that summer?

They have consistently lied at season ticket renewal time about the amount of investment that will be made in the Summer and it never came. This Summer we were going to sign six players proven at Championship level. We didn't. Another lie.

they've gone on record recently and said there is and always has been money available and Clough chose not to spend it. AS Nigel Clough has NOT been out and disputed this, after all, you'd think he would if they were lying, to protect his own reputation, then we have to assume they are telling the truth.

I've never heard this before and is quite startling.  What's the source for this?

The £5m each was front page of the telegraph back in 2006

The truth about it was also in the telegraph one year later when it was revealed what was truly invested.

The promises of quality signings and take the league by a storm was made over a microphone to all the fans that turned up to Pride Park the day after Wembley.

On transfer deadline day in August 2007, the then chairman stood outside Pride Park on live Sky Sports announcing the signing of Mika Varynen

The £5m each was front page of the telegraph back in 2006

The truth about it was also in the telegraph one year later when it was revealed what was truly invested.

I'm amazed more hasn't been made of this in the past when people had their little turf wars over the LoG vs GSE!  Somehow that passed me by completely.

Wasting money is signing poor and older players on high wages with no sell on value. This is what was spent by the current owners / board in their first two transfer windows. Clough signed largely higher quality younger players with sell on value yet they wouldn't back him with a decent budget.

The board don't choose the signings, they give the manager the money to do it.

It appears you blame them for giving Jewell money and blame them for not giving Clough money...make your mind up!

As for the debate over facts vs lies I think you need to review your comment about signing young players with sell on values because other than Brayford I am not aware of us making any substantial profit on anyone.

Appleby said this summer that he expects us to make the top 6. He has certainly spoke in the last 4 years.

As for amounts, what about the infamous Barker type fees that weren't spent that summer?

They have consistently lied at season ticket renewal time about the amount of investment that will be made in the Summer and it never came. This Summer we were going to sign six players proven at Championship level. We didn't. Another lie.

Once again I think you need to think very carefully about what you are saying.

Where exactly have they lied?

Top 6 is our aim...is that a lie or an unrealistic aim? Surely if it was unrealistic nobody would have purchased a season ticket on the back of such a statement.

Find me a quote where they have ever put a figure on what the summer transfer investment would be and show that it varied greatly from what actually happened.

Of course you will also remember their offer on returning season tickets last year, on the basis of the board being liars, and investment falling well short of what was promised, I assume there was a large uptake on that offer?

The last paragraph does make sense. The club stated they were looking at players at Euro championships, might have been 2012 not 2008, and there were thread about it in here. Amazingly not one single player at those championship was better than we already had and not one mention of us actively looking at them was made anywhere other than by the club.

Clough said it about the Olympics last year. Sommething along the lines of "we'd be stupid not to look at the players at the Olympics, especially with it on our doorstep"

Once again I think you need to think very carefully about what you are saying.

Where exactly have they lied?

Top 6 is our aim...is that a lie or an unrealistic aim? Surely if it was unrealistic nobody would have purchased a season ticket on the back of such a statement.

Find me a quote where they have ever put a figure on what the summer transfer investment would be and show that it varied greatly from what actually happened.

Of course you will also remember their offer on returning season tickets last year, on the basis of the board being liars, and investment falling well short of what was promised, I assume there was a large uptake on that offer?

The one that sticks out in memory is the we are going to sign 6 championship players, not including Ward, Fielding and Robinson, then signed 4 (?) players not including those. Well that caused a big fuss with some people.

The one that sticks out in memory is the we are going to sign 6 championship players, not including Ward, Fielding and Robinson, then signed 4 (?) players not including those. Well that caused a big fuss with some people.

It was never said that the 6 were on top of them 3.

If that is what was meant I would have been asking why the manager was wanting to sign pretty much a whole new team.

This money available comment is after selling Brayford and getting Tyson and O'Connor off the wage bill. This leaves only the option to bring in loans as the window was then shut. Hardly a major shift in playing budget is it!

I remember the offer of returning season tickets, a hollow gesture. What's much more significant is the reduction in the number of season ticket holders since they've been downsizing the club.

Why was it a hollow gesture? You said the season tickets were sold on the back of lies. People must have been very angry and a lot taken back.

The drop in season tickets is something that has happened in every period when we have been out of the top division, otherwise we would have had crowds of 40k since the 70s.

Still waiting for evidence of these lies.

Of course the owners / board don't choose the players but they have to agree to the spend. They let expensive poor transfers happen then slashed the playing budget far too much. Their apologists point out that they've put a lot of money in, not true it's loans, but anyway what's the point of a bit here and there to prop up their poor running of the club? Why not put some decent resources together for a proper go at promotion? You only make money in English football in the premier league.

I'm not talking about the drop in season ticket numbers between the premier league season and the one after, I'm talking about the continual decline in the championship. Fans can see no realistic push for promotion, despite being told every February that there will be one, and have voted with their feet. They've stopped believing the lies if you will!

Of course the owners / board don't choose the players but they have to agree to the spend. They let expensive poor transfers happen then slashed the playing budget far too much. Their apologists point out that they've put a lot of money in, not true it's loans, but anyway what's the point of a bit here and there to prop up their poor running of the club? Why not put some decent resources together for a proper go at promotion? You only make money in English football in the premier league.

Of course they've put money in, does it really make much difference whether it has gone in as a loan or equity?

A bit here and a bit there, name me other owners in this division that have put circa £7million in for the last 3 years.

I'm not talking about the drop in season ticket numbers between the premier league season and the one after, I'm talking about the continual decline in the championship. Fans can see no realistic push for promotion, despite being told every February that there will be one, and have voted with their feet. They've stopped believing the lies if you will!

What lies are these? Still waiting for the evidence that you obviously have.

All the board can do is to sanction purchases made on the recommendation of the manager - he ultimately is the person who has to take responsibility for that aspect of the club. To blame the board for the quality of the signings is, frankly, nuts.

It was never said that the 6 were on top of them 3.

If that is what was meant I would have been asking why the manager was wanting to sign pretty much a whole new team.

I can't find the quotes but I am sure that was said. Also remember everyone on here listing the 6 we were signing, as well as Ward , Fielding and Robinson. But it doesn't really matter, as it isn't here or there.

Archived