Pre-Ordained?

sage

Do people believe the club when they claim that we have appointed McLaren, Simpson and Steele in less than 48 hours without contacting any of them (or their agents) prior to Clough's dismissal? 

Not stating an opinion, just asking a question.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've continued to conduct a thorough review of the entire footballing operations. Draw up a shortlist, of qualified, motivated and available coaches, work their way dilligently through it, sign centre halves with permanent agreements attached and appoint an entire continental approach to football. All since Saturday at 5 o clock.

As I said in another thread I would be disappointed if they didn't have a backup plan in case Nigel failed.

I doubt it is a coincidence that Clough was sacked days before McClarens contract expired.

I remember speaking to a friend in the summer who had been speaking to Rush and even back then he said he was given the impression Clough would not be here come the end of this season.

Didnt sack Nige until 5 hours after Forest.

Then had the backroom staff in on Sunday

Then started the in depth search for an entirely new structure

Then told McClaren he'd be working under a DoF and he jumped at the chance.

Then Paul Simpson's name popped up? Has McClaren used him before?

I've watched 24 and Kiefer Sutherland doesn't do THAT much in a day

Do people believe the club when they claim that we have appointed McLaren, Simpson and Steele in less than 48 hours without contacting any of them (or their agents) prior to Clough's dismissal? 

Not stating an opinion, just asking a question.

It's a good question and I suppose we all know the answer. NC was out well before the final whistle on Saturday. Rush needed the defeat to make his move. Any delay brought about the possibility of a win or two this week, which might have scuppered the plan, at least in the short term.

So, now we move on. I've spent far too long at the computer today, watching events unfold. I didn't expect so much progress so soon but of course, I was naive enough, until today, to think that the sacking had been a knee-jerk reaction to last week.

What have I learnt from all of this? Well, Sam's the Man! He's calling the shots. Because I've been a Derby fan for 50 years, the new Management Team get my support from now. However, I'm surprised at this appointment and it's put Rush in the spotlight without any doubt. If we succeed, he can point to all of this as being his idea. If we don't, he's out too.

My main regret is that they dealt with this so badly and with such indecent haste. It was crass to sack Clough on Saturday and I won't change my mind over that. They have shown themselves to be manipulative and cynical in that act. I wish Clough well and hope he gets the chance to take over elsewhere.

Finally, while Rush and The Board may expect instant results, I don't. I'll take progress this season as a finish between 8th and 10th. McClaren doesn't need additional pressure and unrealistic expectations at the moment. I hope he gets time to do things his way, whatever that is.

Archived