Fed up of Clough

rammieib

So are you suggesting that the football was more enjoyable with Billy Davies as manager?

I think people tend to re-write Billy's time here. We played some magnificent football for most part of the season. With Barnes, Stead and Lupoli running riot, admittedly, when Teale, Fagan and Currie came in, we had to struggle over the line.

At least when Billy 'shut up shop' it was when we were winning, AND capable of defending. There have been times when Clough has attempted (and failed) to shut up shop when drawing and even losing (to keep score low!!).

I remember Colchester, Norwich, Ipswich and Leicester games fondly. Last minute winners a plenty and certainly NEVER gave up when losing.

It was a lot more exciting and entertaining under Billy than under Clough.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said to BCNram, don't be facetious.

Sorry was just tongue in cheek banter.

I understand people not going, as in your situation, if it is obvious the club is being taken for a ride, but to say they are not going because of one mans actions to me is just bullsh*t.

As I said, would they return if Clough took us to The Premier League and Europe?

It's like me saying I'm not going any more because I don't think Forsyth is a good left back.

I think people tend to re-write Billy's time here. We played some magnificent football for most part of the season. With Barnes, Stead and Lupoli running riot, admittedly, when Teale, Fagan and Currie came in, we had to struggle over the line.

At least when Billy 'shut up shop' it was when we were winning, AND capable of defending. There have been times when Clough has attempted (and failed) to shut up shop when drawing and even losing (to keep score low!!).

I remember Colchester, Norwich, Ipswich and Leicester games fondly. Last minute winners a plenty and certainly NEVER gave up when losing.

It was a lot more exciting and entertaining under Billy than under Clough.

No re-writing of history at all I'm afraid.

We were good to watch at home but away from home played boring percentage football that scraped results...basically the same as Nigel has been doing except Davies organised his team well enough to ensure we got the points on the road.

Average gates under Nigel

08/9 29,440

09/10 29,230

10/11 25,892

11/12 26,020

12/13 23,228

13/14 22,401

After this weekend our average gate could be below Forest`s, for the first time in yonks.

It is NOT because theirs has risen dramatically, its because ours has been on the decline steadily.

So are you suggesting that the football was more enjoyable with Billy Davies as manager?

Well at times no it wasn't great but at times yes as someone else said players like David jones, Seth, Oakley, Barnes, lupoli and Howard on tve pitch were a big bore either. Also there was a feel good factor as yes we were at the top of the league but rightly or wrongly that lifts everyone. Under clough the football for the majority has been terrible but it has improved and we are trying to play more now. For me we play decent passing football now but it needs to be done quicker but I don't know of the players are up to it

Average gates under Nigel

08/9 29,440

09/10 29,230

10/11 25,892

11/12 26,020

12/13 23,228

13/14 22,401

After this weekend our average gate could be below Forest`s, for the first time in yonks.

It is NOT because theirs has risen dramatically, its because ours has been on the decline steadily.

Are you going to compare that to the league average or just going to assume that it is only happening at one club?

Well at times no it wasn't great but at times yes as someone else said players like David jones, Seth, Oakley, Barnes, lupoli and Howard on tve pitch were a big bore either. Also there was a feel good factor as yes we were at the top of the league but rightly or wrongly that lifts everyone. Under clough the football for the majority has been terrible but it has improved and we are trying to play more now. For me we play decent passing football now but it needs to be done quicker but I don't know of the players are up to it

But doesn't that just back up my point that the attendances are not directly linked to how we are playing and therefore are out of the managers control?

Why don`t you compare it to clubs that have been successful during Cloughs tenure and see if theirs have risen.

Or compare it to teams that have not done well under Clough's tenure and see if theirs have also gone down?

Are you not just agreeing with my point that some fans will only turn up based on league position or which division their team is in?

Or compare it to teams that have not done well under Clough's tenure and see if theirs have also gone down?

Are you not just agreeing with my point that some fans will only turn up based on league position or which division their team is in?

But but but... I thought Derby have improved in league position year upon year? Shouldn't the attendance go up?

But but but... I thought Derby have improved in league position year upon year? Shouldn't the attendance go up?

Surely you are missing my point?

Attendances are quite clearly not linked to how good the football is that being played.

We could bring Warnock in play route one football, be top at Xmas and the ground would be full between January and May.

I am one of the fickle fans who has stopped going to PP.

I was telephoned by the club last week and asked why I hadn't renewed my season ticket for the first time in 10 years and whether I intended to attend any games on an ad hoc basis this season. I told them that I had stopped going because I had simply not been enjoying the experience for the last couple of seasons and that I had no intention of attending any games this season.

After I received this call it made me sit down and work out why I, personally, wasn't enjoying games any more. There was a surprisingly long list, music so loud before the games that I couldn't enjoy the craic with my mates before the game, screeching kids reading out the team sheet (shudder), Rammie being made to prance about like a total pratt are just some of them. I run my own business and spend a lot of my working life dealing with business matters and financing - it got to the point where there was more discussion about the business of football than the actual game. the very things I go to football to escape from!

Then of course there was the football itself - so inconsistent that I was barely able to enjoy a game when we were 2 nil up for fear that we would throw it away before the 95th minute.

Then the endless arguing at the ground (and on here) about who is to blame, the board or Clough. I don't think either of them do us any favours but I fear they are a job lot, while we have one we will have the other and that depresses me beyond belief.

I now take my lad to non league Belper town and we both thoroughly enjoy it. In fact we enjoy it so much that it's very unlikely we will return to PP any time soon.

All the best, Fickle of Belper

Archived