Away Support Getting Worse and Worse

ChorleyRam

I get much more pleasure watching my eldest lad playing for his first football team, I do take him to games as he has a season ticket, but its bloody great watching my 6 year old enjoying himself being part of a team at the weekend, ( and scoring in his 2nd match ever at the weekend!!!!!) sorry to have gone off topic.

It was football, dance music beer and chasing the fairer sex in the 90s. Used to regularly get to away games, would be lucky to get to one/two away a season now. I've even got to the stage where I don't even listen to radio on away games on occasions. But that's just me, there I think is a certain apathy towards professional football now, get much more enjoyment when you're involved and helping a local club, ( watching and odd bit of training with my old Sunday side and of course supporting my lads team) I feel kind of detached not just from Derby County, but from professional football in general. Feels like I'm not involved. I feel just erm..... Meh with it all, obviously I still care though otherwise I wouldn't be writing on this forum

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not having a go and each to their own, but if you can't be arsed to go 3 overground stops to watch Derby, then why bother with this forum? You can go to the Tate any time and buying crap food/drink isn't really necessary when you live so close. As I said, not having a go, just puzzled. 

Again, missing the point. It's not about being 'arsed' to go, it costs £26 just for a ticket. If I'd have known we'd would win 5-1 it would have been good value for money but that's the beauty of hindsight.

I hate talking about football as a commodity but its become just that.

Yes I could go to the Tate on my lunch break but that's not the point either, I was using it as an example of alternatives to football.

If ticket prices were more reasonable I'd be more tempted. Say if you went to a handful of away games all costing £26. That's £130 I could be spending on guaranteed good times, nice clothes, etc. Watching Derby is too much of a gamble and is very rarely value for money these days.

Maybe I was spoiled growing up watching Igor et al get us promoted. As for bothering with the forum, it shows I still have a keen interest in the club and fellow fans opinions...

Must admit i'm with sage on this. Three stops is that within walking distance

50 min walk, although I'm not keen on walking to deepest darkest South Bermondsey!

Its £2.10 on the Overground I think, probably cheaper at weekend. 

I do loads of stuff that are nothing to do with sport. However many of them I can do at any time. I go to the theatre, cinema and galleries/museums as much as I go to away games.  As I said myself I am wary of taking kids to some away games, but the poster I responded to went out for the day on his own (he infers) and spent the equivalent amount of money on other stuff he could do any weekend, we his team who normally play 130 miles away are on his doorstep.

Again, if you genuinely find gardening more enjoyable and rewarding than 'any fare DCFC can serve up', why do you bother contributing to a forum which is mainly about the fare that Derby serve up.   

Sorry, I forgot to say I was with friends....two of whom are derby fans of similar ages (26ish). We made a concious decision not to go and instead spent our time and hard earned money doing other things.

The three train stops away is pretty embarrassing to me, personally don't mind travel etc. usually cost and other plans(work being the main one) that stop me going.

The football could have been better the last few years, but I go for the experience and day out rather than expecting to win. Hopefully that is changing, I'd love nothing more!

I'd have been embarrassed a few years ago when football was all I cared about but I'm happy with the decision I made, each to their own.

I think you're missing my point.

How would you rather spend your money?

I'll always be a Derby supporter, the fact is there is little incentive without ticket prices coming down or Derby showing some ambition...

I don't think I am missing the point at all. You couldn't be bothered to go and watch Derby when they were playing on your doorstep. So what? There are loads of so called supporters who jumped on the bandwagon during good years and walk away during  less successful years. You are a casual supporter, there is nothing wrong with that. I don't particularly understand why you chose to tell us in such detail how you spent Saturday afternoon instead of watching Derby win 5 - 1, why would you think that people are interested?

I don't think I am missing the point at all. You couldn't be bothered to go and watch Derby when they were playing on your doorstep. So what? There are loads of so called supporters who jumped on the bandwagon during good years and walk away during less successful years. You are a casual supporter, there is nothing wrong with that. I don't particularly understand why you chose to tell us in such detail how you spent Saturday afternoon instead of watching Derby win 5 - 1, why would you think that people are interested?

Yes, you are missing the point.

It's not 'can't be bothered' it's going something else.

The suggestion he jumped on a bandwagon is crass.

And anyway, it was the worst bandwagon ever.

Yes, you are missing the point.

It's not 'can't be bothered' it's going something else.

The suggestion he jumped on a bandwagon is crass.

And anyway, it was the worst bandwagon ever.

Nope not missing it at all. Derby were playing a few minutes away from where he lives and he chose to do something else... so what!

can you all just not accept that the standard of football, or the joy it SHOULD bring is not good enough to keep people coming. I posted in about March time saying Derby County is stagnant.

I guarantee that if in ten games time, we are in 7th place and winning away from home, the numbers will double at away matches.

No doubt about it, the club has been treading water for a few years now, and improved form will see away numbers go up. However, throughout the league there are plenty of clubs who are pretty stagnant. Yet there can't be many(any?) that have such small away followings in comparison to their home attendances. I could understand our p*** poor away support if our home crowds had dwindled away to 14 or 15,000, but it just seems incredible that a club with 16,000(supposedly) ST holders and an average home gate of over 20,000 should have an away hardcore following of only a few hundred.

I don't think I am missing the point at all. You couldn't be bothered to go and watch Derby when they were playing on your doorstep. So what? There are loads of so called supporters who jumped on the bandwagon during good years and walk away during  less successful years. You are a casual supporter, there is nothing wrong with that. I don't particularly understand why you chose to tell us in such detail how you spent Saturday afternoon instead of watching Derby win 5 - 1, why would you think that people are interested?

Yes I'm a casual supporter. So what? I'm showing you how other people spend their time and money rather than watching Derby away (see thread title - Away support getting worse and worse). As I mentioned in another post, it's easy with hindsight to say I've missed out on seeing a decent away result. I've gone into infinite detail about my weekend to illustrate how that £26 can be spent elsewhere. Clearly you're interested as you've responded and read the thread. I've never been on or off the 'bandwagon', fact is Derby is a football city, its what you're brought up with. I'm proud to be from Derby and support Derby. Please don't assume I've walked away from my club....

Yes I'm a casual supporter. So what? I'm showing you how other people spend their time and money rather than watching Derby away (see thread title - Away support getting worse and worse). As I mentioned in another post, it's easy with hindsight to say I've missed out on seeing a decent away result. I've gone into infinite detail about my weekend to illustrate how that £26 can be spent elsewhere. Clearly you're interested as you've responded and read the thread. I've never been on or off the 'bandwagon', fact is Derby is a football city, its what you're brought up with. I'm proud to be from Derby and support Derby. Please don't assume I've walked away from my club....

Understand what you are saying iRam ...... but Sageisback is genuinely interested as was I in your reasons for non attendance.

And to put in context we are looking as to why on the whole Derby fans ( most of which reside in the Derby area ) do not travel to away games ....... we certainly cannot draw any conclusions on Derby fans who live near a ground Derby are playing at and face a £2.10 publice transport charge ...... who decline to watch the game.

It is like a Mickleover resident being faced with the news that Derby's one and only home fixture is to be played, the buses are running ...... but wait, the £9 crazy golf is on at Markeaton Park AND ...yes AND your other Derby County supporting froends want t go to the Park to play golf too.

Again, I admire your honesty ..... and input to this debate.  But conclusions as to reasons for declining away support are not to be found from your story.   Having endured Millwall in 1994 twice - they again abused our players in the September, I would not fancy doing the tube in and out on your own, that is for sure.  

Understand what you are saying iRam ...... but Sageisback is genuinely interested as was I in your reasons for non attendance.

And to put in context we are looking as to why on the whole Derby fans ( most of which reside in the Derby area ) do not travel to away games ....... we certainly cannot draw any conclusions on Derby fans who live near a ground Derby are playing at and face a £2.10 publice transport charge ...... who decline to watch the game.

It is like a Mickleover resident being faced with the news that Derby's one and only home fixture is to be played, the buses are running ...... but wait, the £9 crazy golf is on at Markeaton Park AND ...yes AND your other Derby County supporting froends want t go to the Park to play golf too.

Again, I admire your honesty ..... and input to this debate.  But conclusions as to reasons for declining away support are not to be found from your story.   Having endured Millwall in 1994 twice - they again abused our players in the September, I would not fancy doing the tube in and out on your own, that is for sure.  

Agreed, how I spent my time rather than watching Derby is neither here nor there (to put the record straight golf was actually on Sunday, but I digress). And yes the fact is, when I lived in Derby I didn't go to homes games unless they were dirt cheap tickets or it was going to be a decent atmosphere. Like most things with this club it's down to the manager and his players. Unfortunately I fall in the 'Clough Out' brigade (as much as I'd like him to do well, he's taken us as far as he can). My conclusion as to why Away support is falling is a general lack of belief.  Anyone who's read this forum over the past five years will see that trend.... My question to anyone who went to Millwall, was it worth it?

Why do people think there is any sort of danger of going to Millwall these days?

There isnt, you're more likely to find trouble (still a 0.000001% chance) going to Leicester or Forest where they actually care about playing us. 

You think 50p a hole is expensive? 15p a shot? This isn't Markeaton Park we're talking about, its Jurassic Golf! Tell me this doesn't look like a decent day out with your mates ;) .... http://www.jurassicencounter.com/

Yes I do think its very expensive and also think 60 is an awful score! Stick to football, supporting your team through the bad times will make the good times so much sweeter.

I think if fans were canvassed in a proper poll, the majority would say its the cost being the major factor.

We get to a couple of away matches, we'd love to do more, but we have to factor in the costs. Not everybody can afford it, especially after buying ST's.

No one really needs to justify why they don't go to games, home or away. In 1993/94 I went to 41 out of 56 Rams matches from my home in Oxford because at the time I lived at home with my folks and had no ties or financial commitments. It didn't make me feel a better or more loyal supporter than someone who only managed half a dozen games a season. I personally don't go to many games because of the cost and because I do not consider that the current team is worth the outlay when I could spend my money on more worthwhile things, like going out with my family etc. I also think that in the modern era there are so many other ways to follow the club - online etc - that didn't exist in my heyday that many people prefer to follow from afar. Ultimately though for me, football has become a 'nice to do' rather than a 'have to do', and at a time when my pay has reduced year on year football has become an occasional treat rather than regular thing.

Archived