The Muslim Premier League

Scott129

My dad used to take me to play football while the rest of my family went to church, maybe that's why I like football and think all religions are outdated and ridiculous, a means of explaining things before science found the answers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ffs!

How many black managers? How many Muslims? How many black players?

Muslims have their own football awards.

I'm fookin sick of it. Spend all year telling us we're all human and then you get stupid articles like this conjured up by complete *******.

How many Muslims in the Premier League? I know the answer.

It

Doesn't

Matter

Has some **** got a quota to fill?

Why are there so few black managers?

Because there aren't many black men turning to management and then going on to be good at it.

Why?

Why do BMW drivers think they have special rights? Because that's just the bloody way it is!!

Unless skin colour/faith is important to you Mr BBC then it's all irrelevant. I hadn't even noticed the number of Muslims or black managers in football. Who's segregating people now?

ffs!

I'm fookin sick of it. Spend all year telling us we're all human and then you get stupid articles like this conjured up by complete *******.

It

Doesn't

Matter

Because there aren't many black men turning to management and then going on to be good at it.

Why?

Why do BMW drivers think they have special rights? Because that's just the bloody way it is!!

Unless skin colour/faith is important to you Mr BBC then it's all irrelevant. I hadn't even noticed the number of Muslims or black managers in football. Who's segregating people now?

Bravo!

I wish they would concentrate on highlighting more important issues in the game like how many gay players we have in the league unable to come out the closet.

ffs!

It

Doesn't

Matter

Why?

I know the kind of sentiment you're on about, but it's not like the programme was trying to make an issue out of it. The fact is, there's a sizeable minority of players who practice a religion which demands a more disciplined following than many other religions and with very precise rules, a lot of which will impact performance and their relationship with team mates.

Maybe you should watch the documentary, a lot of it is the usual "hey we're humans as well" stuff we know already, but there are a lot of points the documentary makes that are worthwhile.

Alpha, this stuff actually is relevant, really relevant. This is NOT the same thing as half the stuff you mentioned above.

There is a sizeable majority that religiously eat take aways which hinder their performance in Sunday League and make it impossible to go professional. It's also known that some team mates take it to far by shouting "pass it you ******* fat ****" which can damage relationships with team mates.

BBC documentary? No, if Bob's religion gets in the way of his football he needs to find another club or take up another career path that fits in with his life choices.

Sorry Duracell, I think if the job they do comes into direct conflict with the religion they choose to follow, they need to change jobs if they can't or won't change their beliefs.

Bringing religion into football spells bad news imo. The two should be kept entirely seperate.

Tell you who I feel sorry for...the ladyboys, how hard must it be to get into football with a willy and boobs?

Ladyboy Premier League, BBC documentary needed, if they won't do it I bet channel 4 will.

Sorry Duracell, I think if the job they do comes into direct conflict with the religion they choose to follow, they need to change jobs if they can't or won't change their beliefs.

Bringing religion into football spells bad news imo. The two should be kept entirely seperate.

The point is, there's conflict, but conflict you can work around.

You can't not bring religion into football. You can avoid blatant religious messages but everyone has a religious viewpoint in some form or another. The best thing to do would be to ban humans from football, but that's unworkable.

This documentary isn't carrying the message "look how bad things are for Muslims, let's all be Muslims too", it just covered some of the issues a Muslim player might have and how the league and clubs have dealt with it. What on earth is the problem with making a documentary about that? Is it just because there's religion involved?

The point is, there's conflict, but conflict you can work around.

Haven't seen the Doc but read the article on the BBC Sport site about it and totally agree...

I'm guessing most of the guys on here haven't seen/read it as they seem to have missed the point... It was just an "isn't it interesting what some people go through and still play football?"... Nothing to do with bringing relegion into football... just showing the ways in which some players in the Prem have a very different way of living to others...

I'd actually encourage MORE players to live like them to be honest... Andy Murray apparantly doesn't drink alcohol because it affects how long it takes for you to recover from a match... would have thought that would be a good thing to promote in footballers?

And I thought the quote from Demba Ba was really interesting when he said that he was going to fast, and if that affected his game then don't pick him... Fair enough... You buy a player who's openly devout (to any relegion) you should know what you're getting into up front!

I wish they would concentrate on highlighting more important issues in the game like how many gay players we have in the league unable to come out the closet.

Totally agree with this as well though... I find it sad that becauase football is still seen as a sport for idiots (and a tiny minority of fans and players back this up *cough* John Terry *cough*) some people feel the need to hide who they are...

Unfortuanely I don't think this is something that's gonna change until football fans take action themselves...

Anyone fancy a rainbow rally for the first game of the season?!?!?!

I haven't seen the documentary to be honest Bunny. I just read

""Twenty years ago there were no Muslims in the Premier League. Now there are nearly forty - enough for three football teams. To mark the start of Ramadan, this programme, narrated by Colin Murray, speaks to star players and top managers to find out what impact Muslims are having on the English game"

And that is enough to get me on a rant.

"20 years ago - no Muslims"

So?

"What impact are Muslims having on the English game?"

Woah! There's so much wrong with that sentence.

Firstly, they're having the same impact as Christians, Jews and friggin Satanic followers... football is about ability to play a game. It's a game.

Secondly, and this is where your point links in Bunny is if we're talking about religous lifestyle issues while doing a job, in this case football, then surely the last sentence should say

"What impact football can have on the Muslim religion"

The last sentence must contradict the documentary? The only way a Muslim can have a huge impact on the Premiership is by being a great player.

If we're talking about how it can be difficult to develop skills while following a religous path.... Well that paragraph doesn't lead you down that route.

Either way that paragraph is garbage and I hope whoever wrote it gets horrendous hayfever

""Twenty years ago there were no Muslims in the Premier League. Now there are nearly forty - enough for three football teams. To mark the start of Ramadan, this programme, narrated by Colin Murray, speaks to star players and top managers to find out what impact Muslims are having on the English game"

So?

Firstly, they're having the same impact as Christians, Jews and friggin Satanic followers... football is about ability to play a game. It's a game.

Secondly, and this is where your point links in Bunny is if we're talking about religous lifestyle issues while doing a job, in this case football, then surely the last sentence should say

The last sentence must contradict the documentary? The only way a Muslim can have a huge impact on the Premiership is by being a great player.

If we're talking about how it can be difficult to develop skills while following a religous path.... Well that paragraph doesn't lead you down that route.

Either way that paragraph is garbage and I hope whoever wrote it gets horrendous hayfever

To be honest I hadn't fully read the synopsis before watching, but yeah, I think that's a pretty fair rant to make. But basically, that synopsis could have been written by someone who never watched the programme! I don't know what part of it was about how Muslims have affected the English game in a different way to non-Muslims, seemed to be pretty much exclusively about how Muslims juggle observing their faith and keeping their God happy at the same time as keeping their manager happy.

By the way, I'm trying the ditch the whole bunny thing. I'm slowly revealing to normal people that I post on an internet forum, but it doesn't help my "seriously guys, I'm normal still" case when my pet name is "bunny". I need to think of something more macho.

To be fair the programme was made by the Religion & Ethics department and was really interesting – rather than being made by the Current Affairs department trying to stir up debate.

I agree that the strap line was written in a way that made it sound like the latter, but the program itself was free from all controversy and nicely pitched

By the way, I'm trying the ditch the whole bunny thing. I'm slowly revealing to normal people that I post on an internet forum, but it doesn't help my "seriously guys, I'm normal still" case when my pet name is "bunny". I need to think of something more macho.

Just don't get your name off two random Internet name generator things and stick them together.

I was almost "BedEnd Gurubert"

Seriously.

Anyway, when I think 'bunny' I think 'Donnie Darko'

If that's not macho enough for the real world then what is?

So?

Spot on there Alpha regarding the sentencing of that introduction.

Surely it's about how a Muslim can conform to It, not the other way round.

This is what I meant when I said religion should be kept out of it. At the end of the day it is about the sport, not the players.

Haven't seen the Doc but read the article on the BBC Sport site about it and totally agree...

I'm guessing most of the guys on here haven't seen/read it as they seem to have missed the point... It was just an "isn't it interesting what some people go through and still play football?"... Nothing to do with bringing relegion into football... just showing the ways in which some players in the Prem have a very different way of living to others...

I'd actually encourage MORE players to live like them to be honest... Andy Murray apparantly doesn't drink alcohol because it affects how long it takes for you to recover from a match... would have thought that would be a good thing to promote in footballers?

And I thought the quote from Demba Ba was really interesting when he said that he was going to fast, and if that affected his game then don't pick him... Fair enough... You buy a player who's openly devout (to any relegion) you should know what you're getting into up front!

Totally agree with this as well though... I find it sad that becauase football is still seen as a sport for idiots (and a tiny minority of fans and players back this up *cough* John Terry *cough*) some people feel the need to hide who they are...

Unfortuanely I don't think this is something that's gonna change until football fans take action themselves...

Anyone fancy a rainbow rally for the first game of the season?!?!?!

The flip side to the Demba Ba comment being that he knows what is expected of him when he signs his £100k a week contract and if he can't stick to that contract then maybe he should think about getting another job that is more flexible around his religion.

Wonder how it would go down if I said 'going to get pissed tonight and if it is going to affect my work tomorrow then I won't bother coming in'

SillyBilly

The flip side to the Demba Ba comment being that he knows what is expected of him when he signs his £100k a week contract and if he can't stick to that contract then maybe he should think about getting another job that is more flexible around his religion.

Wonder how it would go down if I said 'going to get pissed tonight and if it is going to affect my work tomorrow then I won't bother coming in'

I could invent my own religion and declare a few holy days a year where I can't work, I'd have just as much legitmacy as any other religious person who makes demands in the workplace. The only difference between them and myself would be the number of members in our respective cults.

I could invent my own religion and declare a few holy days a year where I can't work, I'd have just as much legitmacy as any other religious person who makes demands in the workplace. The only difference between them and myself would be the number of members in our respective cults.

I think I saw that film once - the one about a number of members in various.....

oh, CULTS.

Sorry, my bad.

I think I saw that film once - the one about a number of members in various.....

oh, CULTS.

Sorry, my bad.

It's a sad day when eddie starts talking like a gangsta.

Or, humanity was going around without guidance and only since Allah revealed the holy Quran to the prophet Muhammed have humans been given the correct guidance to fully submit to God....that's just what they believe. A God that doesn't have to explain himself. Seems daft to you, but we do daft stuff too. We're willing to put poison into our body and lose control of what we're doing and we seem to celebrate this. We gamble knowing full well it's addictive and loses us money. That cracks them up too. Not saying we should have a competition to see which way of living is the most daft, but still, they don't get everything wrong.

Religion may be ******, but it's not unique in that. Everything's ******.

Difference being, we have the choice whether to drink or gamble and can make our minds up for ourselves. 

This point just shows the ridiculousness of religion.

If I was a footballer and couldnt be arsed to go in, rang up the club and said, today is the day the god of 'rafsaigaged' told me to rest in the name of 'werjwtesgd' people would think you're absolutely barking mad. 

Archived