The Muslim Premier League

Scott129

"Twenty years ago there were no Muslims in the Premier League. Now there are nearly forty - enough for three football teams. To mark the start of Ramadan, this programme, narrated by Colin Murray, speaks to star players and top managers to find out what impact Muslims are having on the English game."

Don't know if anyone watched this today but it's worth it if you have 30 minutes free. It's mostly about Ali Al-Habsi but it's a pretty interesting insight into football and religion :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b036qfqc/The_Muslim_Premier_League/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barazite too? Not that I'm bothered one way or the other. There was also Hossam Ghali, and I believe that there was an Egyptian who played around a hundred years ago. Like I said, who cares what religion anyone adheres to? And Mounir El-Hamsandwich. And Mo Konjic. And Mo Camara.

A bit of research reveals loads.

WTF has religion got to do with football? 

or vice-versa.

Is that Latin? 

Quite a bit tbh, more than I thought anyway. You've got fasting, praying, charity, halal meat in the canteens, even the sponsors that endorse alcohol, gambling, etc.

Word is that some muslim families don't encourage their kids to join in organised football. Don't know if that is true but some muslim people i work with say it is.

If the fear of watering down your religion is the reason then I would say your religion isn't strong in the first place.

Any religion seems a bit suspect to me if you have to force it on your kids. Let them grow up and make their own mind up!

fantastic night to be a staffs based Derby fan......... :D

Boy was it, I know it sounds sad but i've never ever had such a rush. I was in the Boothen End with my ex's Dad, two Brothers and Uncle... We got the penalty, bang it's in.

Before I knew it, I was under a load of FBC's, crawling under seats and through legs trying to get to the aisle. Anyway, I didn't make it and didn't hear the final whistle.

Boy was it, I know it sounds sad but i've never ever had such a rush. I was in the Boothen End with my ex's Dad, two Brothers and Uncle... We got the penalty, bang it's in.

Before I knew it, I was under a load of FBC's, crawling under seats and through legs trying to get to the aisle. Anyway, I didn't make it and didn't hear the final whistle.

Got back into the Three Tuns pub in Utch that night just before the local Stokies......we barely mentioned it..... :rolleyes:

Word is that some muslim families don't encourage their kids to join in organised football. Don't know if that is true but some muslim people i work with say it is.

If the fear of watering down your religion is the reason then I would say your religion isn't strong in the first place.

Any religion seems a bit suspect to me if you have to force it on your kids. Let them grow up and make their own mind up!

Depends on the religion. In some religions, the whole point is to make your kids believe. You don't want to go to hell, do you? If that's your belief, that's your reality. You're doing your duty by making your kids believe, doing everyone a favour in the process. It all looks ridiculous by our standards, but by their standards, a hell of a lot of stuff we do is crazy....

Anyway, as for the footie and religion, being Muslim has a lot to do with it, as mentioned above. Hadn't thought about Halal meat before but Ramadan must affect players. No food or drink from sunset to sunrise? That must be agony if you're a professional athlete. 

Depends on the religion. In some religions, the whole point is to make your kids believe. You don't want to go to hell, do you? If that's your belief, that's your reality. You're doing your duty by making your kids believe, doing everyone a favour in the process. It all looks ridiculous by our standards, but by their standards, a hell of a lot of stuff we do is crazy....

Anyway, as for the footie and religion, being Muslim has a lot to do with it, as mentioned above. Hadn't thought about Halal meat before but Ramadan must affect players. No food or drink from sunset to sunrise? That must be agony if you're a professional athlete. 

It cracks me up that people believe if you eat at a certain time of day you'll either rot in hell or live for ever. People would have had to eat to survive for thousands of years before organised religion reared its ugly head.

Religion is ******.

It cracks me up that people believe if you eat at a certain time of day you'll either rot in hell or live for ever. People would have had to eat to survive for thousands of years before organised religion reared its ugly head.

Religion is ******.

Or, humanity was going around without guidance and only since Allah revealed the holy Quran to the prophet Muhammed have humans been given the correct guidance to fully submit to God....that's just what they believe. A God that doesn't have to explain himself. Seems daft to you, but we do daft stuff too. We're willing to put poison into our body and lose control of what we're doing and we seem to celebrate this. We gamble knowing full well it's addictive and loses us money. That cracks them up too. Not saying we should have a competition to see which way of living is the most daft, but still, they don't get everything wrong.

Religion may be ******, but it's not unique in that. Everything's ******.

Archived