An interesting set of statistics I have found

ChaddesdenRam

"a/img818/6515/d8l" alt="d8l">

Now I along with many others had this feeling we were conceding a vast amount of goals from crosses into the box.

These stats state otherwise.

Conceded 30 from outside the box, I would therefore say perhaps our midfield are suspect defensively? Come to think of it I can think several times when we have been caught in midfield and then on the break i.e. Carlos Edwards winner for Ipswich after Coutts gave the ball away in midfield.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nearly half the goals scored from outside the area? That's a startling statistic. That suggests we either a) don't have good keepers b) our midfield don't screen the edge of the box properly or c) we were the victims of some exceptional shooting last year which hopefully won't be repeated.

Personally I think it was

20% a)

70% b)

10% c)

You could have a point there have been some very good goals scored against us.

Edwards for Ipswich

Shlupp for Leicester

Redmond for Birmingham

Hayes for Charlton

McCormack for Leeds

Rhodes for Blackburn (at home the left foot volley)

Green for Charlton

Ogrady for Shef Wed

But should we be better at closing these shots from outside the box down?

Good stat find Shabash.

In my opinion it's pretty simple, we're missing the type of midfielder who's on his toes looking to throw himself headlong at a block.

We've got 3 of them in the back four, bucko, keogh and brayford,  they're defending the penalty area for their lives but there's not enough coming from the midfielders 20 yards out.

None of our current midfielders have that snap.

Having said that, I can think of at least 5 belting goals last year that two keepers wouldn't have stopped.

I think this is a mental thing. Almost all of these goals are as a result of an opportunity presenting itself when our players back off and invite the oppo onto us. If you watch most of the goals we are talking about, you'll be surprised to note that there will still be 8 or more Derby players 'goal-side' of the ball.

Are those stats for real? I can't believe that 53 out of 127 (41%) goals in Derby's matches from last season were scored from outside the area. Just reading it didn't seem right and a quick google search suggests it may be inaccurate. The percentage of Premier League goals, for example, for the 2011/12 season which were scored from outside the box was 19%. That's a huge difference.

Good stat find Shabash.

In my opinion it's pretty simple, we're missing the type of midfielder who's on his toes looking to throw himself headlong at a block.

We've got 3 of them in the back four, bucko, keogh and brayford,  they're defending the penalty area for their lives but there's not enough coming from the midfielders 20 yards out.

None of our current midfielders have that snap.

Having said that, I can think of at least 5 belting goals last year that two keepers wouldn't have stopped.

Either that or everyone had such supreme confidence in Fielding & Legz that they didn't think they'd be beaten from there  :D

We do seem to stand off attackers in the 40-18 yard area.  That's the problem with a flat midfield four, once the opposition player has gone past his marker there's not much cover until you get to the centre halves.

Just a look at the first 10 games we conceded..

Sheff Wed (H) 2 (1)

Bolton (A) 2

Wolves (A) 1

Watford (H) 1

Huddersfield (A) 1

Charlton (H) 2 (1)

Burnley (H) 2

Boro (A) 2

Blackburn (H) 1 (1)

Ipswich (A) 1

From those games and 15 conceded I'm pretty only 3 were outside of the area although I don't remember the Boro (A) and Burnley (H) too fondly..

Even still I can't believe that stat weighs up.. I'd be suprised if it's over 25% to be honest..

Just a few more goals off the top of my head..

Blackpool 2-1 Derby

Derby 4-1 Blackpool

Burnley 2-0 Derby

Leicester 4-1 Derby

Derby 3-2 Brum

Derby 2-1 Leicester

Derby 1-2 Hull

Blackburn 2-0 Derby

Deby 3-1 PBoro

Palace 3-0 Derby

Brum 3-1 Derby (1 goal outside the area)

Peterborough 3-0 Derby (2 goals outside the area)

Sheff Wed 2-2 Derby

Hull 2-1 Derby

There you have another 27 goals off the top of my head where none are outside the area..

That stat is wrong and by a long way..

In fact if that stat was true, I've just named 39 of 62 goals that were in the area.. Which is more than the chart says..

I think this is a mental thing. Almost all of these goals are as a result of an opportunity presenting itself when our players back off and invite the oppo onto us. If you watch most of the goals we are talking about, you'll be surprised to note that there will still be 8 or more Derby players 'goal-side' of the ball.

Agreed... We sit way too far back... Always find it amazing when opposition are getting shots from the edge of the box and Bucko or Keogh are having to launch themselves from the six yard box to stop it...

Archived