England U21

CumbrianRam

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised people haven't seen/heard of Chalobah. Had a cracking year at Watford and is rated highly, more so than Hughes for that CM spot. Best player on the pitch for us today, the only one didn't use the the ball as a ticking time bomb. Him and Hughes played the last 25 vs Sweden a few months back and looked very good together. Complete composure. 

Obviously got the big names in that team like Zaha, Henderson etc but Chalobah is the one that excites me most from this current batch as far as the future goes. 

Got beat by a team with a better game plan than ours today. Think it's time to freshen up the management at that level. The same could apply to every level mind. 

Surprised people haven't seen/heard of Chalobah. Had a cracking year at Watford and is rated highly, more so than Hughes for that CM spot. Best player on the pitch for us today, the only one didn't use the the ball as a ticking time bomb. Him and Hughes played the last 25 vs Sweden a few months back and looked very good together. Complete composure. 

Obviously got the big names in that team like Zaha, Henderson etc but Chalobah is the one that excites me most from this current batch as far as the future goes. 

Got beat by a team with a better game plan than ours today. Think it's time to freshen up the management at that level. The same could apply to every level mind. 

I like Chalobah but thought he was poor yesterday.

Funnily enough I didn't think we looked a threat at all until we went english on them. The introduction of Whickham and Shelvey with his drilled diagonal balls gave us a squeak at getting back in it.

I've seen some quotes hammering Pearce and labelling him a yes man, this is not the place to defend an ex red who didn't play for us but it's my style to get stuck in.

I don't think he's got the roundness to make a top class manager but when it comes to motivational skills and gettting a team ready to play for their country, I can't imagine anyone better than Pearce at that part.

HIs issue in this tournament isn't his doing. We haven't taken it seriously as a nation. The norwegians had 4 subs who'd played for the full national side the night before. They'd all bust a gut to get bak to play for the under 21's

How many of our lot couldn't make it due to some such excuse (I'll include young hughes in that group as well)? How many of our lot view themselves as too good for the 21's?

Poor performance in a tournament I expected England to do well in.

A fair few of those norwegians look like they've got a future.

Beauty of football I guess, contrasting views.

Re: Pearce I agree with the motivation side of things, I'm sure he gets the players going. It's his tactics and dinosaur like approach to this tournament that's annoyed me.

Why he scrapped the fluid football we played all throughout the qualifiers (whilst maintaining a 9 game unbeaten run, absolutely dicking teams) I'll never know.

The team we put out yesterday wasn't that different to the one we qualified with. Unlike the first game when we were missing our big names in Zaha, Ince etc when that was half an excuse to use.

Smashing long balls up to Wickham for the majority of tournament without any players withing 30 feet of him (sounds familiar!) and expecting results was crazy. Didnt use our attacking outlets enough yesterday, Ince and Zaha didn't see enough of the ball.

As much I was disappointed with some players' performances I don't think the approach was correct either.

Isn't this Pearce's 3rd or 4th tournament at this level now? I just feel it's time for a change.

I don't think he'll have his contract renewed. Having said that if you look at his record at that level we've done things no other country in Europe have done, aside from winning a tournament.

He'll be gone and the job will go to someone Hodgson wants around.

I think he'll find himself back at a Championship club before long and at that point it's really his last opportunity to show something at a decent level.

I love Pearce to bits but I've never been convinced about his managerial skills.

I also think that once the 11 are out on the pitch it's their job to get the on the ball and tp provide some quality. Zaha, Ince, Rowe, Henderson didn't do enough. Shelvey only looks good when he's driving a 30 yard ball to feet, trouble is, he's just as likely to drive it into the stands. I don't think it's down  to formation or tactics I think it's down to players not performing and having little else as an option within the squad.

If Kelly is the future  benchmark of England full backs then we're in trouble. Caulker at centre back looked a liability.

The U21's failings just goes to show that the standard of football below first team PL level isn't actually that good..

You look at the German U21s, Spain U21s, Norway U21s, France U21s etc.. And all the players are playing at the top level.. Not one of them are playing below their top domestic league level..

Spain for instance have a $20mill GK playing for Man Utd, the likes of Thiago, Isco, Tello who are playing CL football..

Who have England got? A bunch of players who played on loan at NPC level and a few others who barely get a kick at PL level..

The PL is only one of the best leagues because it is filled with foreign stars.. Young English players aren't good enough to get regular games at the top clubs and the best ones are cherry picked for the national side (Smalling, Jones, Ox, Walcott of recent years)..

England will always have a good side because we have a ntion of 50million odd who play football from a young age.. That's our sport.. We'll always get decent players coming through and England will always be a top 20-30 side in the world..

But if the FA want to do something about it.. Make us like Germany or Spain.. They need to sacrifice the riches and entertainment of the PL and set rules in place (example 5 English NOT BRITISH U21 players in the match squad) to give these guys a chance.. La Liga and the Bundesliga have around 70% of the overall players are domestic (in the first 11 of each side).. The PL is more like 45% at a push (English)..

We've also got to realise that a host of Scottish, Irish and Welsh players (British) doesn't actually help the English players either..

I mean take Newcastle vs Arsenal on the last game of the season..

Only 4 English players played from 22 players.. (18%) Harper (because he was retiring), Taylor, Walcott and Gibbs..

That's pathetic.. Fulham vs Swansea (Fulham had 0 and only 1 English player in their matcday squad of 18) and Swansea had 3 playing.. (14%) Spurs vs Sunderland.. 9 English players (41%).. Man City vs Norwich 10 players (45%) WBA vs Man Utd 9 players (41%) Everton vs Chelsea 5 players (23%).. WHU vs Reading 7 players (32%)

Take a La Liga game for example.. Sevilla vs Valencia (two teams up near the top but don't have the best Spanish players).. There were 11 Spanish players on the pitch (50%).. Betis vs Levante.. 14 Spanish players (64%).. Granada vs Getafe.. 16 Spanish players (73%).. Deportivo vs Real Sociedad 14 (64%) Barca vs Malaga 14 players (64%).. Celta vs Espanol 14 players (64%).. Athletic Bilboa vs Rayo 20 players (91%)

The differences are obvious..

Getafe fielded a whole Spanish 11 for their game against Granada.. That would be unheard of in England.

The U21's failings just goes to show that the standard of football below first team PL level isn't actually that good..

You look at the German U21s, Spain U21s, Norway U21s, France U21s etc.. And all the players are playing at the top level.. Not one of them are playing below their top domestic league level..

Spain for instance have a $20mill GK playing for Man Utd, the likes of Thiago, Isco, Tello who are playing CL football..

Who have England got? A bunch of players who played on loan at NPC level and a few others who barely get a kick at PL level..

The PL is only one of the best leagues because it is filled with foreign stars.. Young English players aren't good enough to get regular games at the top clubs and the best ones are cherry picked for the national side (Smalling, Jones, Ox, Walcott of recent years)..

England will always have a good side because we have a ntion of 50million odd who play football from a young age.. That's our sport.. We'll always get decent players coming through and England will always be a top 20-30 side in the world..

But if the FA want to do something about it.. Make us like Germany or Spain.. They need to sacrifice the riches and entertainment of the PL and set rules in place (example 5 English NOT BRITISH U21 players in the match squad) to give these guys a chance.. La Liga and the Bundesliga have around 70% of the overall players are domestic (in the first 11 of each side).. The PL is more like 45% at a push (English)..

We've also got to realise that a host of Scottish, Irish and Welsh players (British) doesn't actually help the English players either..

I mean take Newcastle vs Arsenal on the last game of the season..

Only 4 English players played from 22 players.. (18%) Harper (because he was retiring), Taylor, Walcott and Gibbs..

That's pathetic.. Fulham vs Swansea (Fulham had 0 and only 1 English player in their matcday squad of 18) and Swansea had 3 playing.. (14%) Spurs vs Sunderland.. 9 English players (41%).. Man City vs Norwich 10 players (45%) WBA vs Man Utd 9 players (41%) Everton vs Chelsea 5 players (23%).. WHU vs Reading 7 players (32%)

Take a La Liga game for example.. Sevilla vs Valencia (two teams up near the top but don't have the best Spanish players).. There were 11 Spanish players on the pitch (50%).. Betis vs Levante.. 14 Spanish players (64%).. Granada vs Getafe.. 16 Spanish players (73%).. Deportivo vs Real Sociedad 14 (64%) Barca vs Malaga 14 players (64%).. Celta vs Espanol 14 players (64%).. Athletic Bilboa vs Rayo 20 players (91%)

The differences are obvious..

Getafe fielded a whole Spanish 11 for their game against Granada.. That would be unheard of in England.

I agree.

Totally agree.

An interesting point that the commentator made during England v Norway was that "the Norway league have capped the amount of foreign players each team can have and said that meant they had to give local players a go".

I think its shocking that some teams can have a line up in the prem with only one or two English players in it.

Newcastle for example.

Krul(Dutch)

Debuchy(French)   Colochini(Argentina)  Taylor(1)     Santon(Italian)

Ben Arfa (French)  CAbaye(French)   Tiote(Ivory coat)    Gutti (Argentina)

Cisse(Senegal)       Goufran(French)

That's ONLY 1 English player in the starting team. No wonder they are targeting will hushes and tom ince they don't have any decent English players. They are getting rid of simpson,Williamson and perch that's 3 more.

That's why I absoulty love Derby and teams like crewe who are producing players and given them first team football. I thought Southampton were on to something with Clyne,Shaw and others but they seem to be going to the abroad market why because its cheaper.Wifred zaha is only 15 million because the market has gone wrong with English buys such as Andy Carroll.

Why don't they create an incentive to teams who use more home grown players. Plus teams who have English set up not Foreign managers who bring their players and style and change the club.

Its like Swansea they started off with a lot of Welsh players but now are slowly turning into a mid table Spanish side michu,hernadez etc now Canas has been bought and they are after apas (another one)

Totally agree.

An interesting point that the commentator made during England v Norway was that "the Norway league have capped the amount of foreign players each team can have and said that meant they had to give local players a go".

I think its shocking that some teams can have a line up in the prem with only one or two English players in it.

Newcastle for example.

Krul(Dutch)

Debuchy(French)   Colochini(Argentina)  Taylor(1)     Santon(Italian)

Ben Arfa (French)  CAbaye(French)   Tiote(Ivory coat)    Gutti (Argentina)

Cisse(Senegal)       Goufran(French)

That's ONLY 1 English player in the starting team. No wonder they are targeting will hushes and tom ince they don't have any decent English players. They are getting rid of simpson,Williamson and perch that's 3 more.

That's why I absoulty love Derby and teams like crewe who are producing players and given them first team football. I thought Southampton were on to something with Clyne,Shaw and others but they seem to be going to the abroad market why because its cheaper.Wifred zaha is only 15 million because the market has gone wrong with English buys such as Andy Carroll.

Why don't they create an incentive to teams who use more home grown players. Plus teams who have English set up not Foreign managers who bring their players and style and change the club.

Its like Swansea they started off with a lot of Welsh players but now are slowly turning into a mid table Spanish side michu,hernadez etc now Canas has been bought and they are after apas (another one)

I like the point of "going abroad because its cheaper" since we don't seem to go abroad a lot to find youth talent so all the more money for us when we sell them on. B)

I like the point of "going abroad because its cheaper" since we don't seem to go abroad a lot to find youth talent so all the more money for us when we sell them on. B)

I know. Even average English player goes for double what he should.

Doesn't the Bundesliga have some statistic were about 15% of the regulars in the league are German AND under the age of 23? 

In my opinion the national side will only get worse and worse UNLESS the FA decide that football is more important than the money. First on my list would be getting rid of that ridiculous EPPP they introduced last season. It's already led to the closure of five academies, as they're no longer beneficial to clubs without financial firepower. 

Doesn't the Bundesliga have some statistic were about 15% of the regulars in the league are German AND under the age of 23? 

In my opinion the national side will only get worse and worse UNLESS the FA decide that football is more important than the money. First on my list would be getting rid of that ridiculous EPPP they introduced last season. It's already led to the closure of five academies, as they're no longer beneficial to clubs without financial firepower. 

The Germans have just been knocked out as wel

I don't believe there isn't enough talent in this country to build a very strong team, but it seems like football is poison to a few younger players.

John Bostock. Ravel Morrison, Theo Walcott and Daniel Sturridge were 4 of the most promising players the country has ever seen (kid leagues) non have REALLY stepped up to their full potential.

Will Hughes, Oxlade Chambs, Nathaniel Chalobah and Mason Bennett - the next batch (of sorts) 

I think we've had some of the most naturally talented players come through in the past 5/10 years but the industry has been more showmanship than anything else.

I think that is the biggest shame, obviously people have different interest levels - but, put me in Mason Bennetts position - I would make sure i'm the first name on that team sheet next season! i just don't see why players aren't pushing their bodies to the absolute limits to get that 'little bit' better, maybe it's just me but this is an industry where 6 good months, could lead to a 5 year deal on extreme money. 

The statistic I read related to U-21 players, and whereas Germany gave their home-grown youngsters 3 times as much game time as English clubs, it was still 'only' 6%.

Archived