Gibraltar become 54th UEFA member

CumbrianRam

Gibraltar has been accepted as a full member of Uefa, European football's governing body.

The application was approved on a majority vote at the organisation's congress in London, with no votes against and no abstentions.

The British Overseas Territory off the south coast of Spain has a population of just under 30,000.

Gibraltar will be allowed to enter qualifying for the 2016 European Championship.

The territory tried to join Uefa in 2007 but the bid was controversially rejected. Spain opposed the move and threatened to boycott both club and international competitions if it succeeded.

Gibraltar football facts

600 registered players

Six teams in Gibraltar Premier Division - Lincoln FC (the 2012-13 champions), St Joseph's FC, Man United FC, Lynx FC, Lions Gibraltar, Glacis FC.

First bid to join Uefa rejected in 2007 when only England, Wales & Scotland voted in favour.

Only three of Uefa's 52 associations voted in favour of Gibraltar - the English, Welsh and Scottish Football Associations.

Previously Gibraltar, which has six top-division teams and 600 registered senior players, had been told it could not join Uefa as it was not a country recognised by the United Nations.

It was accepted as a provisional member of Uefa in October 2012 and that membership has now been ratified.

Spain continues to claim sovereignty over the territory, which has been ruled by Britain since 1713 under the terms of the Treaty of Utrecht.

The European Union has put pressure on Spain and Britain to resolve the issue of Gibraltar's status. Both sides, under the Brussels Process launched in 1984, have attempted to reach an agreement.

But Spain's insistence on eventually acquiring full sovereignty, and Britain's determination to retain full control of Gibraltar's military base, have been among the stumbling blocks.

Uefa president Michel Platini has confirmed that Gibraltar and Spain will be kept apart in qualifying groups.

"Gibraltar will not play qualifying matches with Spain - we also have this situation with Armenia and Azerbaijan," Platini said.

Gibraltar head coach Allen Bula

Born: 4 January 1965

Represented country from Under-15 to Under-21 level

Played for Gibraltar United, St Joseph's and Glacis United

Formerly the head of football development and academy manager at Slovakian first division club MFK Kosice

"This is a momentous occasion for football in Gibraltar. Uefa membership means that we can begin the next chapter of Gibraltarian football," the president of the Gibraltar Football Association, Gareth Latin, said.

"At last we'll be able to show the whole of Europe that we can match the best with football of a high standard and entertaining style."

Allen Bula, head coach of Gibraltar's national side, would relish the chance to play the country's neighbours.

"I always said I would love to play Spain. I would play them any day, anywhere, any time," Bula told the BBC's World Football programme earlier this year.

"When I took over the national team I had one purpose - to show Europe and the world that what Spain were saying about us, that we were only in it for political reasons and that we didn't have any quality, was a load of rubbish.

"They have not let us progress, we've never given up and now we are ready to show Europe what we are made of."

Gibraltar becomes the smallest Uefa member in terms of population, behind San Marino (just over 32,000), Liechtenstein (approximately 37,000) and the Faroe Islands (just under 50,000).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22657481

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine if they got Germany in qualifying..

It would be a ridiculous score like 14-0.

Gibraltar has something like 30,000 people.. Where I live which is practically an Island the population is more than 200,000 and we don't even have an ameture team here..

Good for the Gibraltan people that they might get to watch some sports, but surely a pointless idea..

Could they beat San Marino?

Great find, Cumbrian.

I find these little countries fascinating. I love the element of farce in it. It's awesome when a team like Germany is playing a team with a PE teacher in goal.

THIS, however, is the most ridiculous "national" team:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sark_football_team

think our 11 point prem team would stand a chance against them

Your 'island' is too scared to have a team in case you turn up and and tell them how negative they are. Or not turn up and tell them how negative they are. x

I wouldn't need to..

Everyone plays futbol rapido here, all attacking two touch football along the floor..

And I'd go to everygame if we had one.. Simply because the stadium would be within a 5 minute drive.. Possibly walking distance

Archived