May Games

Alph

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the final ends up as Benfica vs Chelsea then it will be abit of a shame given both dropped out the CL..

I understand why the 3rd placed team goes through though.. It gives smaller clubs like Copenhagen, BATE, Panathinaikos, Braga, Rosenborg, Dinamo Kiev etc. the chance to enter the Europa League when they've got little chance of progressing when they're in a group with the likes of Barcelona and Milan..

It would be harsh on those clubs as they qualify fro the CL but have next to no chance of progressing through to the knockout stages..

People suggesting that it's rewarding CL failure need to get real and realise it's impossible for the smaller clubs to win it so a 3rd palce finish in the group is actually a success..

If the final ends up as Benfica vs Chelsea then it will be abit of a shame given both dropped out the CL..

I understand why the 3rd placed team goes through though.. It gives smaller clubs like Copenhagen, BATE, Panathinaikos, Braga, Rosenborg, Dinamo Kiev etc. the chance to enter the Europa League when they've got little chance of progressing when they're in a group with the likes of Barcelona and Milan..

It would be harsh on those clubs as they qualify fro the CL but have next to no chance of progressing through to the knockout stages..

People suggesting that it's rewarding CL failure need to get real and realise it's impossible for the smaller clubs to win it so a 3rd palce finish in the group is actually a success..

we are watching Burton , so shush..

:)

I was always a purist; when you're out you're out, do not pass go, do not collect £200

I was always a purist; when you're out you're out, do not pass go, do not collect £200

If they did that they shouldn't seed the groups to make it ridiculously difficult for the smaller teams..

Were you more in favour of the old way? Straight knockout stage from the beginning?

I never liked it when they phased the group league system in, it was patently a move to generate more revenue for all those involved, another invention borne out of greed. I favoured the old knock out home and away style right the way through to the final, some of the league games are just dead rubbers and irrevelent towards the latter group games and just a bore. Why fix something that ain't broke? For financial greed of course.

I quite like the group stage. Avoids a Forest V Malmo final. Best teams usually come out on top. Imagine Barcelona v Real Madrid and Bayern Munich v Man United in the early rounds. Then Celtic make the final having beat Braga.

But the straight knock out is the pure way. Same as having only Champions enter. Not Spurs who finished 4th playing at the expense of Anderlecht who are Champions or whatever.

The next time the system changes it'll be a super league. For more money. You'd have Barca playing Real Madrid and Man United and Bayern in a big league then the top 4 would play a play off.

AC Milan v Real Madrid 3 times. Barca v United 3 times.

I can hear Murdoch rubbing his hands together already

Hear what you're saying, I just don't like the way the dice are totally loaded against the lesser teams, the seedling so that the big clubs avoid each other, the league format - am sure I don't speak for everyone but am bored now of seeing Barcelona, Real Madrid playing all of the time or progressing to the semi finals year in year out just like I was totally disenfranchised years ago with the same old teams at the top of the Premiership. Next thing that will happen is that we will start seeding teams that enter the FA Cup 3rd Round, please.

It's tailored to meet the needs of the dozen or so "big" teams who were threatening a breakaway European league. This pretty much delivers what they wanted.

Problem is that it's at the expense of every other club in Europe.

How many different clubs have played in the Champions League from each league? I imagine it's a scant few and the pool is shrinking as it's they who now have a stranglehold over their respective leagues due to the money they receive...

Reduction in competition = loss of excitement.

This last day is amazing..

So many twists already

Forest beating Leicester and then losing.. Watford going 0-1 down and now drawing. P'Boro winning 0-1 and now drawing.. Barnsley beating Hudds and Bolton going 0-2 down and now drawing..

It means Leicester are in 6th place but Bolton, Leicester and Forest have all occupied 6th spot at some point during the past 45 mins..

As for the bottom, Barnsley, P'Boro and Huddersfield have all occupied the relegation places too in the last 45 mins..

Archived