Derby County v Peterborough United

CumbrianRam

Dominant performance against a side on a long unbeaten run. We could easily have embarrassed them 5 or 6 if we'd kept 11 on, and even with 10 we created more good situations than they did.

Conor Sammon was massive today. Two or three poor touches, but lots of energy, verve, won headers, strong, taking people on, generally used it well.

Every one of them did us proud.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my point of view...

The game was run like a typically Derby home game I have personally been used to this season, the first 30 minutes of every game I have seen this season we have have ran the show for the first 30 minutes, usually if we don't score this is where 'reactive' football comes to show, fortunately for us - neat football and good strength, speed and accuracy from Sammon set Bryson up for a nice goal. The second half started and Pboro started lively, but two quick goals put them back - and after the sending off it was more of a case of setting up to keep the win, which we did.

Fielding - 4 - Thoroughly deserved the red card, kicking was poor and didn't really do much good in his game.

Brayford - 7 - Thought he looked good today, good defensively and played nice football with Coutts.

Keogh - 3 - I had my eye on Keogh today, his positioning was awful - decision making was equally as bad... A better team would of made him look ridiculous. Distribution was very poor today, also.

Buxton - 6 - a few shaky moments, also not on his game - but covered well for Keogh a few times.

Forsyth - 5 - defensively okay, but his distribution today was somewhat shocking - was like watching JayMac again!

Ward - 6 - quiet game, unusual for him - showed his ability on the ball and did an okay job.

Hendrick - 7 - looked confident on the ball, more willing to beat his man... held it a bit too long at times, I'm hoping for a big year from him next season.

Bryson - 7 - was also very good, first half he was everywhere - a good performance, just kept things ticking for us.

Coutts - 7 - was in the game a lot today, perhaps should practice taking corners.. a few more dangerous deliveries would see a lot more goals from us.

Martin - 5 - such a well taken goal, and showed some nice touches but he looks immobile to me - lacks athleticism, if we sign him I would expect him to be put through his paces during pre-season... needs to be about 2/3 times fitter!

Sammon - 8 - great performance, everything was sharp for Sammon today! won the praise of the peterborough manager and I hope that gives him the confidence to go on.. he has the makings of such a good player, just hope we get to see it. He lacks so much composure infront of goal, and clearly lacks the confidence... all round game today was first class!

Just wanted to add

Ball boy - 9

Derby coach Andy Garner praised his side after they dominated Peterborough to win 3-1 at Pride Park.

Goals from Craig Bryson. Chris Martin and Richard Keogh saw the Rams take control and despite Grant McCann converting a penalty after goalkeeper Frank Fielding was sent off, they held on for a comfortable victory.

"We were totally in command as soon as the first whistle went," said Garner.

"The first 20 minutes, we were absolutely superb, dominated the game and were in their half constantly.

"We didn't get the goal our play justified but we stuck at it and when it came, it was a brilliant goal, a training ground goal really.

"Great hold up play from Conor Sammon and a typical Craig Bryson run and a good finish."

Garner had no complaints with Fielding's red card and admitted the keeper was at fault.

"At the time I thought his starting position was too deep and I think he hesitated which was disappointing," he added.

"The last thing we wanted was a penalty and a sending off. It was a poor decision by Frank, not the referee, who got it spot on."

Richard Keogh and Craig Bryson: Both scored as Derby beat Peterborough

Derby beat Peterborough 3-1 at Pride Park to claim their first win in four games and end the visitors' long unbeaten run in the Championship.

Posh arrived at Pride Park as the division's form team having set a club record by going 10 games without defeat at this level but they struggled to live with the Rams until home goalkeeper Frank Fielding was sent off in the 62nd minute.

Substitute Grant McCann scored the resulting penalty after Fielding's dismissal but Darren Ferguson's side had fallen behind to goals from Craig Bryson, Chris Martin and Richard Keogh either side of half-time.

Huddersfield's win over Millwall earlier on Saturday saw Peterborough drop a place to 21st before kick-off and they are now only outside the relegation zone on goal difference.

Former Posh playmaker Paul Coutts' mishit cross that smashed against a post after two minutes put the visitors on the back foot and that is where they remained for the entire first half.

Martin, Connor Sammon, Craig Forsyth, Keogh and Coutts all missed further chances, but the hosts finally got the goal they deserved five minutes before half-time when Ward and Sammon combined well down the left and the latter picked out Bryson in the box to blast the ball home from close range.

Visiting boss Ferguson made two changes at the break, introducing McCann and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing for Gaby Zakuani and Kane Ferdinand.

Perhaps Peterborough were still trying to reorganise themselves at the start of the second half as, in the 52nd minute, Martin doubled Derby's lead with a superbly-taken powerful, low shot on the turn and then Keogh headed in a third goal when he was left unmarked at the far post after Forsyth had flicked on Jamie Ward's corner.

The Rams were cruising but they suffered a setback just after the hour mark when Fielding brought down Dwight Gayle, who was clean through on goal.

Fielding received a straight red card before McCann sent his penalty past substitute keeper Adam Legzdins, who was brought on at the expense of Martin.

Lee Tomlin had a good chance to pull another goal back after 73 minutes but he dragged his shot wide from 12 yards out.

Gayle then saw a shot blocked as Legzdins was called upon to make a save for the first time.

Sammon had a chance to finish off the game in the second of seven minutes of second-half stoppage time but he was denied by Bobby Olejnik.

Or was it Bryson pal. I think you got the first letter right. did you go?

Ha, yeah, I haven't got my head on properly, got stuck in traffic on the way home so I'm a bit done in. But yeah I did go. A boring game of poor football. The only thing that made this an interesting season was the free flowing football, that we used to play but now Clough's decided to get them to hoof it, agh, it annoys me.

Though the chanting to the ball boy and about the flare was fantastic. Chant of the season. You fckin r-tards, your playin in blue.

I thought we might conspire to throw away a three goal lead...I had to turn the radio off when Frankie got sent off.....nice to find out we hang on. Happy days :-)

Truth be told we still looked the more likely to score, even with 10 men. Peterborough had far more possession in the second half but squandered it. Bombarding Bucko with high balls? Yeah, that's going to work.

"Sometimes as a manager you have to hold your hands up and praise the opposition and today I thought Derby were magnificent. They were outstanding and thoroughly deserved the win."

- Darren Ferguson.

Maybe Cloughie knows what he's doing after all.

Good performance. We made them look pretty *****.

Sammon, Coutts and Bryson all on top of their game. Shane Sammon couldn't put his chance away near the end, the only thing holding him back.

Frank's one important moment of the game went to rat ****, poor positioning and his hesitation cost him and us. Really bad decision, deserves to be going into next season as our No. 2.

Keogh was poor, goal covered up alot if very poor defending, Gayle had his pants down a few times with a slight bit of movement. Still unconvinced.

Hope we don't sign Forsyth, played ok but isn't an improvement on what we have. If we want to push on then let's improve the defence, not cover the holes with average players.

Hopefully finish the season on a high now, roll in the summer.

We've had a few of these home games this year. Really strong performance with special praise for Bryson and Sammon. Thought Coutts had a good game too.

Season over, drunk as a skunk, praying for Bounemouth away first game.

You Rams.

great result today. Fielding must be stupid to bring a player down when you are 3 - nil up...

Time to get behind Sammon as well, if we can get him up front with a 20 goals a season striker then we will be an absolute handful for next season. we just need to add a bit of depth with some old heads to see games through. i'd like an experienced midfielder to come in as well, i think Vicente is out of contract in the summer ;)

Darragh MacAnthony‏@DMAC10247m
Btw its easy when losing to moan/make excuses whilst forgetting about the opposition.Ours today (Derby)were superb start to finish. Kudos!!

Darragh MacAnthony@DMAC10247m

I also hope that fella up front for Derby; C Sammon let my back 4 leave Pride Park in time for coach leaving. What a performance that was.

Btw its easy when losing to moan/make excuses whilst forgetting about the opposition.Ours today (Derby)were superb start to finish. Kudos!!

I also hope that fella up front for Derby; C Sammon let my back 4 leave Pride Park in time for coach leaving. What a performance that was.

Says alot that. Personally thought we were crap, hoofing it down field for 90 minutes isn't what I call a good performance.

Though I'm pleased for Sammon, he was magnif.

Good performance. We made them look pretty *****.

Sammon, Coutts and Bryson all on top of their game. Shane Sammon couldn't put his chance away near the end, the only thing holding him back.

Frank's one important moment of the game went to rat ****, poor positioning and his hesitation cost him and us. Really bad decision, deserves to be going into next season as our No. 2.

Keogh was poor, goal covered up alot if very poor defending, Gayle had his pants down a few times with a slight bit of movement. Still unconvinced.

Hope we don't sign Forsyth, played ok but isn't an improvement on what we have. If we want to push on then let's improve the defence, not cover the holes with average players.

Hopefully finish the season on a high now, roll in the summer.

You sit with Ambitious, don't you?

Archived