The Summer holiday thread.

Badlands

Yep, a couple of times - but where I am that is not too hard - I've been to most places around here tbh - not Myanmar or the Philippines yet though but I will get there soon enough.

My Summer Holiday will be spent, as ever, in sunny Derbyshire (with a week in Spain so my kids don't forget what the sun looks like)

It must be great to live out there. I'd love to go. Is it where urangatangs live? I would love to go on holiday to your place. Makes Spain look like Skeggy.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did 6 nights straight in both, felt awful in Zante, Malia for some reason i was just on my game, that made it much more enjoyable.

Laganas is a ******* dump mate, even by the standards of these resorts.

I liked Malia as we had a excellent hotel for the money we paid. Also towards the end of the week we used to wander up to the Old Town which was more relaxing. Just used to sit in a bar watching the football and tennis.

Personally i think you should look into going to somewhere like Prague or Amsterdam if the main objective revolves around booze.

Not sure of your ages, but I'm now mid-30s and cannot handle Malia every night. If you like the vibe of the island, like I do, then take my advice and look at staying in Stalis. It's a 10 minute walk to Malia, but a world away in terms of vibe. 

I personally don't drink alcohol during the day and like to do things, from Stalis, it's easy to get to everywhere. Hire a scooter/quad and go up the mountains to the Mochos market square, which is really relaxing to sit and have a snack and cold drink. The ride up and down the mountain and the views themselves are worth it. Then there's the golf course and two water parks to ride to (or get a coach). Hersonissos is the other side of Stalis from Malia, maybe a bit further away and a bit more expensive, but a lot more clean and classy.

There are a row of cafes and bars that back on to the beach and sea in Stalis, so you can relax with a breakfast and newspaper with the water crashing against the rocks below you, and there is a stretch of beach and sea that is amazing in Stalis. At night, if you cannot handle Malia, or want to ease your way in, then there are plenty of places to go and chill whilst your first few drinks take effect.

I've also tried to find the equivalent of Stalis on other Greek Islands and have yet to succeed. I have too been to Laganas and found it boring with nothing to do during the day. Avoid Kavos at all costs, it's the pits. Some of Rhodes is nice, even Faliraki is big enough to avoid the busy nightlife and relax if you wanted to. Lindos is nice too.

But to be clear, I'd live in Stalis if I could, and intend to go back in August. I've been for the last couple of World Cups and Ashes, so I can sit in the sun and watch the sport.

Nice one mate, i'll bear that in mind.

Never touch alcohol during the day in these places, stick to water and irn bru, so tend to have at least 1 day out during the week which is normally at a waterpark. I would be interested in going back because Crete is a beautiful island and Malia is a laugh, just the crowd put's me off even though i'm 20. 

Nice one mate, i'll bear that in mind.

Never touch alcohol during the day in these places, stick to water and irn bru, so tend to have at least 1 day out during the week which is normally at a waterpark. I would be interested in going back because Crete is a beautiful island and Malia is a laugh, just the crowd put's me off even though i'm 20. 

I managed to talk 7 other lads into coming to Stalis in 2011 for my 35th, It was called the "Mostyn loves stalis tour"!  They got tshirts made and everything.

The other 7 lads didn't all know each other, and only one of them had been before. I was nervous that they'd clash cos they're all strong characters, but I can safely say it was the best week of my life, so funny and the only argument had all week was me and my younger brother.

We did something every day, got 4 quad bikes and doubled up on them, went to water parks and the beach and go-karting, and then into Hersonnissos for the lazy beach, the hotels in Stalis are generally better and more relaxing than Malia, less rowdiness during the day.

All the other lads are now best mates with each other and when we get together, we always reminisce about something funny that happened on that holiday. 

We tried to recreate it last year in Kavos and the place just wasn't up to it.

It must be great to live out there. I'd love to go. Is it where urangatangs live? I would love to go on holiday to your place. Makes Spain look like Skeggy.

Yep, Borneo and Sumatra are the two places where they still live in the wild - I actually love Spain so don't think anywhere could make it look like Skeggy but I know what you mean, it is very different out this way but still easy to get by - 6 years in Asia now and I have not needed anything but English - still, looking forward to a few weeks in Blighty albeit not a 14 hour flight with a 1 and 2 year old

I'm off to Guadalajara tomorrow..

It's a beautiful city, which has some amazing architecture.. And the women are gorgeous too..

As for the summer.. I don't know if I'll go anywhere, I don't really need to go anywhere if I'm looking for a relaxing beach holiday.. I love Chiapas though, I'll take a trip there again soon..

I've never done the 'lads holiday' thing.. In fact, I've never actually been on holiday without my parents.. I've just lived for a year in a few places.. I didn't class trips to the States as holidays either.. But I want to go up to illinois and indiana at some point for a holiday..

We've managed to book a big mahooooosive Winnebago to tootle across America in, starting on the East side, paying particular attention to New York then East Hampton, before taking a month long winding road trip via Monument Valley, then venturing north to glimpse the Canadian Rockies - finally landing in an exhausted but excited heap on Rodeo Drive where I'll happily spend hours just watching other people, before I put me best frock on and go and see me mate Barney at The Regent Beverly Wilshire.

I do hope you're all well jell. :D

......Then I woke up and remembered we're going to Mablethorpe. :mellow:

We've managed to book a big mahooooosive Winnebago to tootle across America in, starting on the East side, paying particular attention to New York then East Hampton, before taking a month long winding road trip via Monument Valley, then venturing north to glimpse the Canadian Rockies - finally landing in an exhausted but excited heap on Rodeo Drive where I'll happily spend hours just watching other people, before I put me best frock on and go and see me mate Barney at The Regent Beverly Wilshire.

I do hope you're all well jell. :D

......Then I woke up and remembered we're going to Mablethorpe. :mellow:

I was reading this thinking it sounded quality, a great idea. 

I've done Colorado to South Carolina which was good, driving across America is fun. Going from state to state is like going to loads of different countries. I'd recommend it. 

I was reading this thinking it sounded quality, a great idea. 

I've done Colorado to South Carolina which was good, driving across America is fun. Going from state to state is like going to loads of different countries. I'd recommend it. 

Something I would love to do!

I did 6 nights straight in both, felt awful in Zante, Malia for some reason i was just on my game, that made it much more enjoyable.

Laganas is a ******* dump mate, even by the standards of these resorts.

I liked Malia as we had a excellent hotel for the money we paid. Also towards the end of the week we used to wander up to the Old Town which was more relaxing. Just used to sit in a bar watching the football and tennis.

Personally i think you should look into going to somewhere like Prague or Amsterdam if the main objective revolves around booze.

I went to Crete two years ago and didn't really Malia as it was packed full of the wrong type of young German lads if you know what I mean? Ending up going to Hersonissos every night instead.

Returning to Palma Nova this year, slightly too old and no longer elegible for 18-30s but sod it, I'll still stroll into Maga when my end quietens down for the night!

Then I fancy touring France in the R5 GTT  :D

I went to Crete two years ago and didn't really Malia as it was packed full of the wrong type of young German lads if you know what I mean? Ending up going to Hersonissos every night instead.

Returning to Palma Nova this year, slightly too old and no longer elegible for 18-30s but sod it, I'll still stroll into Maga when my end quietens down for the night!

Then I fancy touring France in the R5 GTT  :D

The crowd in Malia is your usual blokes dressed in **** vests and chinos, terrible tattoos and use words like 'Lad', 'Wench' and 'Swag'. Cvnts the lot of em. 

Finalizing our interrailing plans the other night and we fancy going to plitvice lakes on our way through Croatia, looks amazing.

"http://beautifulplacestovisit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Plitvice-Lake-Croatia" alt="Plitvice-Lake-Croatia">

Archived