Let's save Sammon! Help the poor lad. Poll.

Boycie

Support for Sammon  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I watched the game yesterday with my father-in-law and he's a neutral (Sunderland fan).

When I told him that a growing number of Rams fans were getting sick of Sammon, he genuinely seemed surprised and said he thought he was one of our best players.

When things don't go as fans hope, they like to blame managers, the board and also players. The players are selected by the manager and paid for by the board, so they're a reflection of the running of the club and it's the end product of what goes on behind the scenes. Often that frustration therefore gets projected onto one particular player. Every club in the country has one, and often, they're even the club's worst player; but with Sammon, I guess, he was always in danger if he failed to break double figures.

We haven't wrecked his Derby career quite yet like we did with Teale, though.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long do we have to continue to suffer this standard of football?

Not too long if history is anything to go by!

In 116 seasons since the Football League started (including this season), we have been out of the top flight for 48 of those.

Those 48 seasons have occurred over 9 periods giving us an average of  5.3 seasons before returning to the top division!

We should therefore, be promoted by the end of October next season :D

Any neutral watching the game yesterday would not have picked out Sammon as being the worst player by a country mile on the park. Where he did draw attention to himself was the scuffed penalty miss, which no other player on the pitch managed. Have read some comments on here saying fair play to the guy for having the bottle to step up and take the penalty after his previous miss, I would say I don't want martyrs but instead someone who can score from the penalty spot. 

Not too long if history is anything to go by!

In 116 seasons since the Football League started (including this season), we have been out of the top flight for 48 of those.

Those 48 seasons have occurred over 9 periods giving us an average of  5.3 seasons before returning to the top division!

We should therefore, be promoted by the end of October next season :D

That makes a change. The last time we were promoted, we were relegated by the following October according to Paddy Power. I laughed at the time, but having never seen a poor bookmaker, I should have taken more notice.

Actually, I just checked this. Paddy Power paid out at the start of September.  :o

Obviously Paddy Power had seen Mr 50 pence head playing for Sheffield United, after that am sure they didn't need much convincing

Agreed. The Clod-Todd combo was not going to fill any bookie with confidence.

Archived